Gelatin in Frosted Mini Wheats - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Administrator

I was munching on a bowl of frosted mini wheats earlier and Mandy went to look to see how they were made. She read on a webpage that they usually contained gelatin. I went and checked the box and sure enough it was the third ingredient listed.

I had no idea and I was really pissed because I love frosted mini wheats. Just thought I'd share.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-01-2010, 05:20 AM
ami
Beginner

Yeah....I really wanted some brown sugar cinnamon pop tarts the other day, but they didnt have any unfrosted ones....the gelatin is in the "frosting".....sigh.....
#3 Old 10-01-2010, 06:37 AM
Ankle Biter

TNS once posted that the Kroger brand of Frosted Mini Wheats were vegan (gelatin -free). Definitely double check before you buy, but it may be an option!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

There's another brand out there that's gelatin-free: Arrowhead Mills.

http://www.arrowheadmills.com/produc...d-wheat-cereal
#5 Old 10-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Organic Frosted Mini Wheats, I believe do not have gelatin.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 10-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

This was one of the first things I bought after deciding to go veg that I assumed was safe, and then found out it wasn't. I had Trader Joe's brand and couldn't believe there was gelatin in it.

Upon reading more about gelatin, I learned that it is a common ingredient in frosted cereals (as well as the other things we all are aware of - gummy products, marshmallows etc) but it's such a bummer they ruin such good things with animal bone marrow.
My son's gummy vitamins have to go too.. not sure who loved them more... him or me! ha.

-Kari, Minnesota mommy, wife and vegetarian. treatyourbodyright.blogspot.com
#7 Old 10-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

That's why you have to read labels, some of the less obvious items contain animal products. Frosted Pop-Tarts (I used to eat the brown sugar and cinnamon) contain gelatin as well.

I do not understand/What it is I've done wrong/Full of holes/Check for pulse/Blink your eyes/One for yes/Two for no/I have no idea what I am talking about/I am trapped in this body and can't get out-Radiohead
#8 Old 10-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Beginner

Gelatin is one of those sneaky items they put in a lot! I have been horrified to find candy corn, body wash, and hand lotion that all use gelatin.
#9 Old 10-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Gelatin is pretty much in many things. And yes, anything frosted or jelly like has a good chance of having gelatin in it.

8/3/2010 is the last time I consumed meat.
8/4/2010 is when I became a full blown Vegetarian and I couldn't be more proud.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page