What to pack in a travelling pantry? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-19-2010, 02:21 AM
Banned

I've been staying in various hotels for work Monday - Friday and eating out in restaurants each night for months now. However I've just found a serviced apartment I can rent out monday - friday that has a kitchen! This means I can cook my own meals. Hooray!

The problem is the kitchen is completely bare except for pots/pans/utensils. Each week I would need to re-stock the kitchen with basic spices, oil, marg etc. This would be thrown away each Friday when the cleaning crew come through to make it ready for the weekend occupants. Re-stocking each week would be wasteful and expensive.

This puzzle made me think about creating a 'travelling pantry' of non refrigerated items I could keep in a bag in the back of my car to and from home to use in the serviced apartments. I'd like this to be as small as possible, only keeping the basics as I can buy veg, canned goods etc from local shops.

So far I've thought about packing:
Olive oil
salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, paprika, turmeric (how to pack small amounts of these?)
hot sauce
mustard
soy sauce
fake bacon bits
dried Chinese black mushrooms
veggie stock cubes

What would you keep in yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-19-2010, 10:09 AM

I don't think I would store the olive oil, hot sauce, soy sauce and mustard in the back of the car if it gets really heated up during the day. I would probably make a point of packing them each time during the beginning of the week.

What I would add to the list: A package of pasta, a small bag of rice, sugar, ground coffee beans, nondairy instant creamer if you get them, thyme, box of tea, nutritional yeast, and small amount of corn starch or flour for thickening.
#3 Old 09-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Would you be buying refrigerated things at your destination? Or everything for your meal would need to be able to be packed?

For things you can fit in your suitcase, rice, canned/dried beans, cereal/granola/oatmeal.

& what about some mini-ziploc type bags for spices?

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Film containers would be handy for storing the spices, thought in this age of digital they may be hard to come across.
#5 Old 09-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Those little vacuum packs of udon and soba noodles are a must for me. Dried noodles are ok, too, but I like those little vacuum packs of long life "fresh" type noodles. They are awesome cheap, too.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#6 Old 09-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I would have to add thyme to that list of spices since I go through a ton of it. You can use one of those plastic weekly pill organizers to tote them around in. Maybe some dried soups also that can be fleshed out by adding some fresh veg.

Support your right to arm bears. ~Cleveland Amory
#7 Old 09-21-2010, 12:10 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

A bottle of pot?!?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#8 Old 09-21-2010, 12:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Spammer is surprisingly coherent.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#9 Old 09-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Banned

Pants.
#10 Old 09-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Beginner

In the toiletries section of most target/walmart type stores they have small travel containers you can put whatever you want in them. They are meant for shampoos, soaps, etc. so they should be fine for anything liquid as well as spices.

After filling your travel containers, place them all in one of those insulated lunch box type bags. (I usually pack lunch the night before and leave the whole thing in the fridge.) Be sure to stick in some newspaper or something to keep them all upright. Grab the lunch box at the beginning of each week on your way out the door and the cold things should be fine till you make it to the temp place and can stick the whole thing back in the fridge there.
#11 Old 09-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

If you want smaller containers, the craft stores or even dept stores in the craft section have small zip bags, smaller than the snack bags used in the kitchen.
Chili powder is a must for me, along with your cumin. How about basil, oregano, marjoram for Italian seasoning?

Can you cook some things ahead of time at home, to take and use within your first few days there? You didn't say how long or far you were traveling each time.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page