Buying a Vitamix - should I get the deluxe package or just the blender? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Looking into buying a VitaMix; just wondering: is it worth the extra $$ to get the deluxe package that includes the blender, regular container, small wet container and small dry container? Or should I save my money and just get the blender and regular container?

PS - Do you have a Vitamix? Do you like it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

I want one!
I see a lot of the old 3600 on E-bay, and I've been barely outbid at over $130.00. Probably just as well.
A refurbished demo model goes for $379. with wet container. That will do flour, just not as fine.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 09-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Really? That's good to know about grinding flours!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-18-2010, 11:32 AM
ami
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingvegan View Post

Looking into buying a VitaMix; just wondering: is it worth the extra $$ to get the deluxe package that includes the blender, regular container, small wet container and small dry container? Or should I save my money and just get the blender and regular container?

PS - Do you have a Vitamix? Do you like it?

I have had a VitaMix for several years and have used it often. Makes the best smoothies, "cream" soups and juices (the juices are really pureed whole fruit, so unless you strain you do have the pulp).

I bought the whole pkg. and to be honest I have only used the dry container to grind grains 1 time...my intentions were good, but the reality is that it is more of a struggle to grind my own, and I didnt find the results to be any better.

Be honest with yourself about what you will use it for. It is a great appliance.
#5 Old 09-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

If I was buying a vitamix I'd go for the deluxe because I would love to be able to grind my own flours so that I know my flour is truly just flour and nothing sneaky added in by a company.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 09-21-2010, 07:05 PM

We have a Vitamixx and Looooove it and use it for soooo much....smoothies, soups, juice, ect.....we got the deluxe package and we are happy we did....we have really used it enough to warrant having it.

peace,peace and more peace on the international day of peace!!
#7 Old 09-22-2010, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

We bought the non-deluxe model. It really depends on how you will be using it. We knew we would be using our for mostly smoothies.

I love it. I just put some rice milk, some spinach and some frozen fruit in it and in 1 minute I have a smooth delicious nutritious drink.
#8 Old 09-26-2010, 02:08 PM

I love my vitamix, and its bpa free now. I would wait for a Costco roadshow (or possibly another retail warehouse roadshow) and get one for 395, and add the dry pitcher if you want for 95.00. I added it so i can grind whole grains to flour and coffee beans more efficiently.

If you need the smaller wet pitcher, you can always get that then or later at approx 70.00 (and the total was still cheaper by 50.00 than the 650.00 deluxe package for the EXACT SAME package ...except costco online throws in a sauce pan and measuring spoons as a bonus). I didn't, since the larger one was good enough.

Whatever you choose, congrats on your purchase! I can't believe I waited so long to get one.
#9 Old 09-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeria View Post

If I was buying a vitamix I'd go for the deluxe because I would love to be able to grind my own flours so that I know my flour is truly just flour and nothing sneaky added in by a company.

+1

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#10 Old 09-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I have the Vita Mix Super 5200 with the extra container that grinds grains. I love it, but I cook foods from scratch every day so it was a godsend for me. If eating whole foods is important to you, and you can afford the extra money right now, I'd invest it in the entire package because it will pay off in the long run.

My Vegan Food Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 10-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm still on the fence about which package to get .....I'm really not sure if I'd use the flour grinder or not.....decisions, decisions......

well....actually, I do think I might grind beans or make my own chickpea flour....I guess I'd be better off with it than without it.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#12 Old 10-19-2010, 01:32 AM
Veggie Regular

My parents had one that did liquids and also dry stuff in the 90's however not sure if it was a delux or regular LOL. However, theirs kicked the bucket about 6 years ago. I wanted one but they are pricey for me. We do have a good juicer so that will do for now. Also as I am typing this there is an add for Vita mix LOL
#13 Old 10-19-2010, 05:56 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah I think the key words initiates certain ads for it. I was on a different RAW forum reading, from a google search, and people have had theirs for 30 yrs. My sister has had hers for a very long time too. She makes her own powdered sugar frequently from it.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

#14 Old 10-19-2010, 11:02 AM
ami
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

yeah I think the key words initiates certain ads for it. I was on a different RAW forum reading, from a google search, and people have had theirs for 30 yrs. My sister has had hers for a very long time too. She makes her own powdered sugar frequently from it.

Oh dear, if that is true, what keeps bringing up the Baconnaise ad? Drives me crazy! (I know, it's not a drive, it's a short putt...to quote one of my patients)
#15 Old 10-19-2010, 11:56 AM

Why not just get the original blender now, then if you decide you need the dry get that later... Or you can purchase both then take the dry pitcher back if not needed? Even buying them separately at a Costco roadshow (or I believe sams club) is still cheaper than the deluxe package, which includes the same pitchers and additions. The roadshow is the only place to get the special price and ala cart to boot.
#16 Old 10-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ami View Post

Oh dear, if that is true, what keeps bringing up the Baconnaise ad? Drives me crazy! (I know, it's not a drive, it's a short putt...to quote one of my patients)

the BAconaise is vegetarian ami.

We have no Costco's nor their roadshows around here. Only have a BJs, and they don't sell them even online. I'm actually probably going to go with the kit and kaboodle, just for the sake of it.....could always sell on Craig's list if I really don't want it.

#17 Old 10-20-2010, 08:43 PM
ami
Beginner

I had no clue about the baconaise....shows me I should research stuff before getting high and mighty....still, baconnaise does not sound good to me!
#18 Old 10-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it sounds delish, but haven't found it around here.

#19 Old 10-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

another question....how is the cookbook with it? Do they give you really healthy recipes or do you have to kind of wing it? I know it does some 50+ things, but do they show you how or is it on the DVD?

#20 Old 10-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

another question....how is the cookbook with it? Do they give you really healthy recipes or do you have to kind of wing it? I know it does some 50+ things, but do they show you how or is it on the DVD?

I ended up getting a vitamix (just the blender, no additional containers) & the cookbook is great. It gives you the basics on what you can make, & has a decent number of veg*n recipes. They also show you how to use it on the DVD.
#21 Old 10-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

cool. thanks

#22 Old 10-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

I bought a vitamix 3600, circa 1969, on e-bay! I'd been watching them, and a last check on an insomniac night gave me 2 minutes to decide- I placed the next higher bid and got it for $130. with $30. shipping! I was very pleasently surprised. It's like it's never been used.
I've been blending smoothies with all kinds of fruits- chunks of fresh pineapple, strawberries, banana and a good amount of kale. They come out pretty much perfect- I've actually had problems with banana chunks of all things.
I've made frozen strawberries into a creamy frozen treat with vanilla soymilk. My sons love making fruit drinks. I can't wait to see the recipe book a friend is letting me borrow.
I can't in good faith recommend e-bay, but I've had really good luck with my winnings.

There's a vitamix community discussion and this site for pdf recipes:
http://www.vitamix.com/recipes/

Check the website for refurbished/demo model deals.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#23 Old 10-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

We bought a vitamix on Friday. We decided to go with the deluxe package. I've been wanting one for a long time now but of course the cost kept scaring me away because it is a lot of money. We decided to use some of the money we're getting for him being deployed to buy the vitamix with. I was going to start saving up for one and buy it next spring, but he was like no let's get it now since we'll probably get a lot of use out of given the fact that I use our blender like three times a day as it is.

I can't wait for it to arrive!

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
#24 Old 10-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Almeria, you're very lucky....I'm very close to hitting the button, but not sure if I'm going to wait till after Christmas, or do it before. I really can't wait till it's sitting on my counter!

Silva, thanks for the recipe link. I've only looked at the product page, and nothing else on their site. Glad you've had good luck with your ebay purchase

#25 Old 08-13-2013, 05:31 AM

I have been looking for vitamix product for a long time and suddenly found this one and can't decide which vitamix should i buy  I am not sure their products are good or no? Maybe someone has used it? If you can say the recommendations here. Thanks!

#26 Old 09-22-2013, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

you can't go wrong with a Vitamix. I got the deluxe package and so glad I did. My sister recently bought the Professional version, and loves it, although there is a recall now on the tall blender container. They are switiching them out very quickly fortunately.

#27 Old 09-22-2013, 07:18 PM

Nothing goes wrong with Vitamix. Mine is almost 10yrs old and still in tip top condition. Using it to make soyabean milk, smoothies, gravies for my mee rebos and all types of veggies soups. Great help for kids that are picky and does not take vegetables and fruits. My kids favourite are fruit juice that I blend from frozen fruits. Ice dessert are a no turn down for adults n kids in the a sunny day.Although quite pricey, I paid it over 12 months instalment. It is value for money. Grind my own ginger powder, makes great yam paste, a popular dessert in Chinese wedding dinner and many other usuage like dough for "bao" or even beating batter for cakes. The recipes book and DVD are just as great. Thumbs Up!!!!
#28 Old 09-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

actually, you can break them, and I'm waiting to hear back from CS...but it was my fault. Too much frozen food and didn't use the tamper, and got the blades stuck. It's spit oil and has started smoking, but it's the container and not the motor.

#29 Old 09-22-2013, 08:22 PM

Oh is it, so lucky of me to stressed my Vitamix so hard. I better stop it before it refused to work. Thks for your info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page