Hostess items. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay so pretty much a lot of Hostess items contain a lot of beef fat. What is the point of BEEF FAT in an unhealthy snack? It's like when chicken fat is added to Lay's BBQ chips. What's the point? Just a rant.

8/3/2010 is the last time I consumed meat.
8/4/2010 is when I became a full blown Vegetarian and I couldn't be more proud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-31-2010, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

so people like this will keep buying them

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#3 Old 08-31-2010, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Cuz only fat people eat Hostess?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-31-2010, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm telling you the food industry is CRAZY!

Vegards,
Yen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
http://www.facebook.yenhowell.com

Twitter: @yenhowell
#5 Old 08-31-2010, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

What am I supposed to say to that? "Yes, I only think fat people eat unhealthy food." No. It was a silly question, so I was giving a silly answer.

#6 Old 08-31-2010, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#7 Old 08-31-2010, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I was being legit and ranting at the same time. I don't find it to be silly.

#8 Old 08-31-2010, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think is a silly question, it is definitely a stupid thing to cook muffins in beef fat, that's for sure!

Vegards,
Yen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#9 Old 08-31-2010, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't think you wanted a real explanation. It's probably because it's cheap and makes the food taste good.

#10 Old 08-31-2010, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm wondering if they added the beef fat or like you said, it was cooked in it. It's okay, creep. Probably. It's just like when they add gelatin to almost everything.

#11 Old 08-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer_queen View Post

I'm wondering if they added the beef fat or like you said, it was cooked in it.

Add it? Why? That's even pointless xD Is that even possible, being beyond pointless? Oh God, I've never had one of those btw... Never seen them here in Panama...

Vegards,
Yen

#12 Old 08-31-2010, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I think, like Creep said. It's because it's cheap so they don't want to use expensive ingredients. So they'll just down grade and use things from the animals the food industry hurts.

#13 Old 08-31-2010, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Still! Init veggie oil cheaper?

Vegards,
Yen

#14 Old 08-31-2010, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe.

#15 Old 08-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Something I've come to understand about the food industry......
There's certainly the aspect of using cheap ingredients. There is also the aspect of producers trying to squeeze every penny they can out of their products. So a lot of things that used to be "waste" have now been turned into weird additives that they can sell for putting into processed foods. I think you can see this as either using every part of the animal, and being less wasteful, but I see it as ridiculous. Like others have said, there is no reason beef fat should be put into muffins. However, somewhere along the line, the beef fat has become a "necessary" ingredient, and I bet Hostess would throw a fit and claim they just couldn't make their products without it. (I wouldn't put it past companies like that to make a veg-friendly version purposely taste bad, just so they could claim it couldn't be done.)

I mean, the additive industry just sucks. How ever did people make bread before the technology came along to isolate L-cysteine from hair and feathers? (For one example. So many things now have added junk that just doesn't need to be there.)

I did know about L-cysteine. That makes no sense either.

#16 Old 08-31-2010, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

did someone say there's chicken fat in lays bbq chips? is that true? it's not listed in the ingredients at least not in Canada (which is why i avoid anything that says "natural flavors" cause you never know what that could mean but i figured bbq chips were safe. bleh)

and the L-cysteine thing is just nasty. anyone know of a brand that doesn't use it though? it seems to be in all packaged breads and buns, i just can't seem to get away from that one or lactylate whatever that is. i hate that they can get away with not listing ingredient sources like that, the average person doesn't know what half the ingredients are in the foods they buy regularly. it disgusts me that so many people out there have no idea what they're eating because the manufacturers find so many loopholes with how they list things

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#17 Old 08-31-2010, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

did someone say there's chicken fat in lays bbq chips? is that true? it's not listed in the ingredients at least not in Canada (which is why i avoid anything that says "natural flavors" cause you never know what that could mean but i figured bbq chips were safe. bleh)

and the L-cysteine thing is just nasty. anyone know of a brand that doesn't use it though? it seems to be in all packaged breads and buns, i just can't seem to get away from that one or lactylate whatever that is. i hate that they can get away with not listing ingredient sources like that, the average person doesn't know what half the ingredients are in the foods they buy regularly. it disgusts me that so many people out there have no idea what they're eating because the manufacturers find so many loopholes with how they list things

There's plenty of brands without it. It IS gross. I've heard it's from duck feathers and human hair is what I heard also. As for your question, yes. http://www.fritolay.com/our-snacks/b...-barbecue.html Click nutritional label and it will say chicken on it.
The average person doesn't read ingredients most of the time is what I've noticed also. I think it's because they like the taste and really don't care about what's in it really.

#18 Old 08-31-2010, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah i've noticed that also, that a lot of people just can't be bothered with reading ingredients or nutrition info

and phew Baked Lays.. i knew those weren't vegan and i didn't really like them before i went veg anyways. you had me worried for a second there lol

~Miyavi "Torture"
#19 Old 08-31-2010, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry lol.

#20 Old 08-31-2010, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I've found vegan breads in normal grocery stores. It was just a pain in the ass having to read through 5 loafs before I came across one with no animal products. If there's a Whole Foods near you, they have lots of vegan breads in the freezer section.

#21 Old 08-31-2010, 07:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by creep View Post

I've found vegan breads in normal grocery stores. It was just a pain in the ass having to read through 5 loafs before I came across one with no animal products. If there's a Whole Foods near you, they have lots of vegan breads in the freezer section.

I feel you on this one. It's true.

#22 Old 08-31-2010, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I've heard it's from duck feathers and human hair is what I heard also.

Come again? Does anyone know more about that? Cuz if it's true, that is beyond gross and maybe ilegal... ew!

Vegards,
Yen

#23 Old 08-31-2010, 08:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not kidding. It does. Not sure about humans. Thats what I heard.

#24 Old 08-31-2010, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

It is true, and not illegal.
This was originally isolated from human hair, and is now generally obtained from feathers. There *are* artificial and/or microbial sources of it, though. So if the package says vegan, but it has L-cysteine in the ingredients, it's probably artificial (assuming it's a reputable brand).
In the US, L-cysteine has to be listed on the label if it has some sort of effect on the finished product (if it's used as a conditioner, for example) but it does not have to be listed if it's used as a flavoring. Then they can just lump it into "natural flavors." It is not required to list the source of the L-cysteine.
Gross.

Exc... us... e me...

Vegards,
Yen

#25 Old 08-31-2010, 11:17 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by creep View Post

Quote:

I feel you on this one. It's true.

All of the Ezekiel breads I have seen are vegan. I either buy Ezekiel bread, or one that's made locally and delivered to the Whole Foods near me.

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
#26 Old 09-01-2010, 02:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I wish someone would come out with an easy to find, ready made vegan cake! I don't use my oven in the summer. Plus if I make it, I eat it. I don't have anyone to share it with.

It gets to me, I see coworkers practically eating every work meal from fast food. I'm vegan and I'm over weight. Not that I live off carrot sticks. But I don't live off junk either.
#27 Old 09-01-2010, 04:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

I wish someone would come out with an easy to find, ready made vegan cake! I don't use my oven in the summer. Plus if I make it, I eat it. I don't have anyone to share it with.

The only already made ones I can think of are Amy's. They don't have frosting or anything though. Other than that there's vegan bakeries and bakers that sell them and will sometimes ship them out.

I had a friend in 6th grade whose father worked for hostess. The family pretty much lived off of all hostess products. One time we were at a sleep over and had a huge breakfast buffet that included tons of fresh fruit. She had no clue how to eat any of it. She tried eating a banana with the peel still on it so we had to instruct her on which fruits to peel and which ones were okay not to. Crazy!
#28 Old 09-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

wow that's really sad.
it kills me to see parents cave and give their kids junk food when they refuse to eat what they're offered but that's even worse, those parents didn't even give the kid a chance to choose healthy foods over junk.

re: vegan bread.. i don't have a whole foods here, or any healthy food stores. we have one but it's a glorified vitamin store. they downsized and hardly stock any food at all now.
there's a small health food section at my grocery store but they are really overpriced on some of that stuff. i can get soymilk pretty cheaply and they have a small selection of moderately priced meat alternatives like gardein chicken cutlets and strips, yves veggie burgers etc but that's about it. the freezer section stocks mostly gluten free or organic stuff that isn't veg, a few amy's products which are overpriced and overrated IMO and not much else. anytime i have seen ezekiel's breads they've been rediculously expensive. i'm on a super tight budget i can't spend that much on bread

~Miyavi "Torture"
#29 Old 09-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Veggie Regular

The bread machine is one of the greatest inventions ever! It only takes 5 minutes to make many recipes and it doesn't heat up my house in the summer. I even use it to make cakes. Throw everything in, take a nap, wake up to fresh bread (or cake). Pretty cool.
#30 Old 09-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

wow that's really sad.
it kills me to see parents cave and give their kids junk food when they refuse to eat what they're offered but that's even worse, those parents didn't even give the kid a chance to choose healthy foods over junk.

re: vegan bread.. i don't have a whole foods here, or any healthy food stores. we have one but it's a glorified vitamin store. they downsized and hardly stock any food at all now.
there's a small health food section at my grocery store but they are really overpriced on some of that stuff. i can get soymilk pretty cheaply and they have a small selection of moderately priced meat alternatives like gardein chicken cutlets and strips, yves veggie burgers etc but that's about it. the freezer section stocks mostly gluten free or organic stuff that isn't veg, a few amy's products which are overpriced and overrated IMO and not much else. anytime i have seen ezekiel's breads they've been rediculously expensive. i'm on a super tight budget i can't spend that much on bread

Do you have an Aldi near you? They carry vegan bread. Have you checked all of your local grocery stores's store brand breads?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page