WARNING: Knorr VEGETABLE stock cubes contain BEEF! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-12-2010, 03:59 PM

Hey Ls and Gs, I can confirm to you all that knorr vegetable stock cubes do in fact contain beef. I used them in my pasta for lunch, have used this all this week, and used them for dinner and ruined the last possible meal in the house because of these buggers. These are the reduced salt version mind you. The website clearly says they are vegetarian, but on the back, Beef is clearly listed in the ingredients. I nearly chundered everywhere whilst concocting my risotto broccoli 10 minutes ago! Argh!

I just thought I'd share it with any other Veggies/Vegans out there, hence googling and registering here. I should sue

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Gross! And ridiculous! What's the point of a vegetable stock with beef in it?

Kind of reminds me of Campbell's vegetable soup, the first ingredient is beef broth. You actually have to buy the 'Vegetarian Vegetable' for it to be vegetable soup and not cow juice with veggies floating in it. So stupid.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 08-12-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Gross! And ridiculous! What's the point of a vegetable stock with beef in it?

Kind of reminds me of Campbell's vegetable soup, the first ingredient is beef broth. You actually have to buy the 'Vegetarian Vegetable' for it to be vegetable soup and not cow juice with veggies floating in it. So stupid.

So true - if I wanted beef, I would have bought beef stock, if I wanted chicken, chicken stock, but no, I wanted vegetable and they slip beef in it nonetheless. Madness.

Stock is such a staple in our household too. We use it quite literally, everything.

Sad times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll keep it mind for when I shop. Thank you!

8/3/2010 is the last time I consumed meat.
8/4/2010 is when I became a full blown Vegetarian and I couldn't be more proud.
#5 Old 08-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

If they have them in your area I'm a big fan of the McCormick's All Vegetable bouillon cubes, they're great! No animal products whatsoever and you can make a great vegetable stock. They also have chicken and beef flavoured ones that taste and smell eerily close to the real thing.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#6 Old 08-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep I noticed that a few weeks ago while I was at the store. I usually buy my local store brand's veggie cubes because they are "safe" but I saw Knorr's on sale so I checked out all the labels.
#7 Old 08-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I have 2 boxes of Knorr Vegetarian Vegetable boullion cubes in the cabinet. Just checked and neither of them contains beef, and it says "vegetarian" on the box.

#8 Old 08-12-2010, 06:12 PM

I've looked at two of my local chains and can't find any stock cubes that DON'T contain meat juice.
#9 Old 08-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

I use Telma veg cubes.
I have freaked out misreading "beet" extract as "beef" extract.
I checked out Knorrs site and actually found vegetable boullion cubes containing chicken!

Who are the L's and G's?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#10 Old 08-12-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

I have 2 boxes of Knorr Vegetarian Vegetable boullion cubes in the cabinet. Just checked and neither of them contains beef, and it says "vegetarian" on the box.

This is in the UK btw, and the 'reduced salt' variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Who are the L's and G's?

Ladies and Gentlemen

Clearly says on the bottom in the ingredients, 'Flavouring (contains Mustard, Celery and Beef) despite saying it's vegetarian friendly on the site. I'm going to get at them on the phone when they're open tomorrow and file a complaint.
#11 Old 08-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to Veggieboards! Hope you stick around

I'm not sure if you have it in the UK, but Better Than Bouillon is my favorite brand. I have Vegetable, Chicken-Style Vegetarian, and Beef-Style Vegetarian on hand at all time s
#12 Old 08-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I use Telma veg cubes.
I have freaked out misreading "beet" extract as "beef" extract.
I checked out Knorrs site and actually found vegetable boullion cubes containing chicken!

Who are the L's and G's?

I'm guessing that "vegetable" doesn't always mean "vegetarian." Kind of like some vegetable soup will have chicken or beef stock in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieters View Post

This is in the UK btw, and the 'reduced salt' variety.

Ladies and Gentlemen

Clearly says on the bottom in the ingredients, 'Flavouring (contains Mustard, Celery and Beef) despite saying it's vegetarian friendly on the site. I'm going to get at them on the phone when they're open tomorrow and file a complaint.

I'd wondered if you were in the UK or somewhere in Europe. That's probably the difference. Good on you for calling them, they need to know that beef is not vegetarian!
#13 Old 08-13-2010, 03:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I'm not sure if you have it in the UK, but Better Than Bouillon is my favorite brand. I have Vegetable, Chicken-Style Vegetarian, and Beef-Style Vegetarian on hand at all time s

I've really wanted to try Better Than Bouillon since a lot of people rave about it but I can NEVER find it at a decent price. I've only seen it for around $5. My store brand was $1 something. It's loaded with sodium but has no animal products in it. It's so annoying that things that are better for you are always more expensive.
#14 Old 08-13-2010, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I've really wanted to try Better Than Bouillon since a lot of people rave about it but I can NEVER find it at a decent price. I've only seen it for around $5. My store brand was $1 something. It's loaded with sodium but has no animal products in it. It's so annoying that things that are better for you are always more expensive.

It's $5-7, but you get 38 cups out of it. How many cups do you get out of the $1 one?
#15 Old 08-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

It stinks that this happened. What part of "vegetarian" do they not understand?

The vegetable buillon I use now is a powder I get in bulk at my local veg-friendly health food co-op. It's fairly high in sodium and has a lot of stuff like maltodextrin and hydrolyzed vegetable protein, I think, but it's specifically vegetarian. (I think it's vegan actually, but I'm not 100% up to speed on the usual source of some things. However, obvious things like casein, romano cheese, egg solids, and honey are not on the list.) When I compare the ingredients to the buillon cubes you can buy in most stores, this buillon powder appears to be less unhealthy. It costs something like $10-$15 a pound, but a little goes a long way and it's still a lot cheaper than the cubed stuff. If you can find something like this where you are, you might compare cost by serving size.

(In that store above, besides "vegetable flavor" broth powder, there are also bulk tubs with "meatless" chicken and beef flavors- but I think they have "natural flavor" listed as an ingredient and who knows what that could be. I haven't tried them.)

Welcome, Kieters- and thanks.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#16 Old 08-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Banned

Wow that's bad, our labelling here is usually very good. What's the exact wording, does it say "suitable for vegetarians" or some variation?

I used to use the Knorr stock pots, they're like cubes but have more of a jelly consistency. They were definitely vegan then and I imagine that hasn't changed, so there is an alternative
#17 Old 08-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Earthling, the UK labeling with "suitable for vegetarians," does that include eggs and dairy?
#18 Old 08-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

If they have them in your area I'm a big fan of the McCormick's All Vegetable bouillon cubes, they're great! No animal products whatsoever and you can make a great vegetable stock. They also have chicken and beef flavoured ones that taste and smell eerily close to the real thing.

I second that!
#19 Old 08-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:

Earthling, the UK labeling with "suitable for vegetarians," does that include eggs and dairy?

Suitable for vegetarians means suitable for l/o vegetarians. Some supermarkets are also very good at labelling vegan products such as Asda (Walmart), Sainsburys and the Co-Op. Milk and eggs both have to be listed under 'allergy advice' so even if the ingredient names are bizarre, you can tell at a glance whether it has those in.
#20 Old 08-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

Suitable for vegetarians means suitable for l/o vegetarians. Some supermarkets are also very good at labelling vegan products such as Asda (Walmart), Sainsburys and the Co-Op. Milk and eggs both have to be listed under 'allergy advice' so even if the ingredient names are bizarre, you can tell at a glance whether it has those in.

Thanks for the info
#21 Old 08-13-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:

the better than bouillion is my fave too and luv to cook with it cause its sooo yummmy.....I havent tried knorr but thankies for the heads up.
#22 Old 08-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

I just checked Knorr vegetarian vegetable boulion cubes in Ohio, and THEY were def. all vegan ingrediants-no unspecified anything. Package said Made in Mexico for U.S.A.

Man I hate this on/off crap. If I bought those based on what that store carried, I too would likely pick up a pack at a discount store that could of been made somewhere else, with different ingrediants.

#23 Old 08-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It's $5-7, but you get 38 cups out of it. How many cups do you get out of the $1 one?

Good question. I have no idea (I threw out the original container) but I'm sure it's not 38 cups!
#24 Old 08-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Beginner

This is why you should never trust these companies. Vegetarianism is often seen as "trendy" and these companies will try to cash in whenever they can. I always check the ingredients because I have celiac disease (gluten intolerance) but as a vegan I still check for other things. Even if it isn't clearly pointed out as "beef" it may still contain meat or other animal products.

"Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves." (Lord Byron)

#25 Old 08-14-2010, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Good question. I have no idea (I threw out the original container) but I'm sure it's not 38 cups!

I highly recommend the chicken style vegetarian and vegetable versions I use them all the time.
#26 Old 08-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

I searched through my cabinets, and I found Rapunzel Vegan Vegetable Bouillon and Vegeta (which I'm pretty sure is vegan, it looks vegan, but has a lot of sodium). I know there is another kind or two that we get, not sure of the name, one might be Better Than Bouillon. Pretty good.

Thankfully, I don't believe there has ever been a stock mix-up at my house before. At least I sure hope so.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#27 Old 08-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

I am going to look for those. I usually get the canned veggie broth, but I don't really like the taste. Will save me money, and using dry will save a lot of space in my cabinet, too.

The canned is much more expensive and often contains MSG. McKay's makes powdered broth, but it's not as good as BTB.

The No beef one is good too, but I use ^^ the most.
#28 Old 08-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

^I've never seen BTB no chicken base! I do love Imagines carton of Not Chicken Broth. Have you had that one for a comparison?

#29 Old 08-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

^I've never seen BTB no chicken base! I do love Imagines carton of Not Chicken Broth. Have you had that one for a comparison?

No, sorry, I haven't. The Vegetarian broths can be a little hard to find in some areas. I didn't know they existed (the no chicken and no beef versions) for a while because my local grocery store didn't carry them. I've found them both at HFS's though. One time I got SUPER lucky and found the Organic Vegetable on sale for $2.99 each. Bought 3.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page