Anyone ever buy kinnikinnick bread? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw it in the freezer section near the Morning Star and dairy free substitute desert stuff. I bought it, costed me about $6 (mom was not happy about it) and I was wondering if it's vegetarian or not.

8/3/2010 is the last time I consumed meat.
8/4/2010 is when I became a full blown Vegetarian and I couldn't be more proud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never had it, but it looks from their website like their products have egg in them. So if you're ovo vegetarian it's fine. If you're vegan it's not.

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius
#3 Old 08-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a vegetarian but I try to make sure not to have a lot of egg and dairy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

You really do need to read labels. I can't say that enough. In my local grocery stores, it's not at all unusual to find "natural" real meat items right next to the veggie faux meat items! Sometimes the labels will even look identical - for example: chicken nuggets vs. chicken free nuggets (vegan) Don't assume something is vegetarian just because of the proximity to other vegetarian foods.

It looks like Kinnikinnick bread is made for people with celiac disease or allergies to wheat and other common ingredients. Unless you need to buy special bread for those reason, it's probably not worth the extra money.
#5 Old 08-09-2010, 08:38 PM

Is that the bread you feed to mythical creatures?

www.thezeitgeistmovement.com
www.thevenusproject.com
#6 Old 08-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

You really do need to read labels. I can't say that enough. In my local grocery stores, it's not at all unusual to find "natural" real meat items right next to the veggie faux meat items! Sometimes the labels will even look identical - for example: chicken nuggets vs. chicken free nuggets (vegan) Don't assume something is vegetarian just because of the proximity to other vegetarian foods.

It looks like Kinnikinnick bread is made for people with celiac disease or allergies to wheat and other common ingredients. Unless you need to buy special bread for those reason, it's probably not worth the extra money.

No, it was just in the same area. The bread is on racks but I didn't like what a lot of them contained in them. I do read the labels. Which is why I bought this bread. I tried remembering as much as I could. Also, the freezers were marked off as meatless etc.. stuff.

#7 Old 08-10-2010, 05:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Check their website. It has nutrition/ingredient info along with a FAQ section. Every product has different ingredients. They have various types of breads. Some have eggs and at least one flavor contains casien (so do some of their other products).

$6 is ALOT for bread. Like RunnerVeggie said it is mainly marketed towards people with celiacs since it's gluten free so that's why its ridiculously expensive. Honestly I would NEVER pay that much for a product if I wasn't absolutely certain it was something I could eat and I researched it ahead of time. Also keep in mind that sometimes gluten free products have a totally different taste/texture than regular products.
#8 Old 08-10-2010, 07:38 AM
Banned

I tried a gluten free rice bread once and was very disappointed. Unless you need it to be gluten free, I suggest sticking with regular wheat bread. Almost all Cobblestone breads are vegan friendly.
#9 Old 08-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I only bought it cause most of the breads weren't organic and had products in it I did not want to eat.

#10 Old 08-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never bought their bread frozen, but they do have an actual store in Edmonton and their cheese buns were rediculously good. I've never actually had gluten free bread that was that delicious before. How is it?

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#11 Old 08-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't tried it yet. It's in my freeze until I finish up my Pepperidge Farm bread. I read the ingredients on the back of the white bread I'm currently eating and I'm not buying it again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page