What are some milk replacements? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't drink milk often but I want to slowly get off dairy and know what it's like to drink milk replacements.

8/3/2010 is the last time I consumed meat.
8/4/2010 is when I became a full blown Vegetarian and I couldn't be more proud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

There are several nut based milks as well as soy milk you can try. It is pretty much a matter of opinion which one will be to your liking. I use almond milk in place of dairy. Other choices are rice milk, soy milk, oat milk, hemp milk and others. Just give them a try and you will find one you like!

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#3 Old 08-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryssiie718 View Post

There are several nut based milks as well as soy milk you can try. It is pretty much a matter of opinion which one will be to your liking. I use almond milk in place of dairy. Other choices are rice milk, soy milk, oat milk, hemp milk and others. Just give them a try and you will find one you like!

She said it well I prefer soy or almond milk myself. I don't drink milk straight anymore, haven't for about 2-3 years. I use those milks on cereal, in cooking (hit or miss honestly), and in baking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Riot Nrrrd

The great thing about nut milks is if you have a blender and can push a button you're better than halfway to a tasty beverage! I like almond milk for smoothie types of things. If I'm gonna just drink something straight up I also go to almond milk. Easy peasy: one part almonds three parts water in a blender and puree the heck out of it. Done. A little maple syrup, some vanilla, that's good drinkin'. Most folks will strain the almond bits out before flavoring and drinking, I don't. I like the texture.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#5 Old 08-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Almond Milk <-- The absolute BEST ever! This one tastes and feels so much like cow's milk its crazy.. only better! It even has the little milk bubbles in it (you know what I'm talking about, right.. lol) You can buy it in the cooler next to regular milk, try Almond Breeze in the blue container or Silk Pure Almond in the white one.

Rice Milk, 2nd best though its thin like skim-milk

Soy Milk, 3rd best but it tends to taste 'chalky'

Oat Milk, okay

Hemp Milk, not too great

Those 5 are the most popular, but there are other various milks out there worth trying too

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#6 Old 08-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
Oat Milk, okay

If by "OK" you mean "nasty" I'm with ya. I just can't stand the aftertaste.

#7 Old 08-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

For Soy, I actually prefer the No Sugar Added version for baking and cooking. Even though regular soy milk has half as much sugar as cow's milk per cup, it tastes a little sweeter.
#8 Old 08-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

If by "OK" you mean "nasty" I'm with ya. I just can't stand the aftertaste.

The only oat milk I've had was Maple Brown Sugar flavored and omg it was delicious. It tasted like the milk left over from a bowl of cinnamon crunch cereal. Hemp milk doesn't sound all that appealing to me. Almost every other kind of "milks" I can drink straight with the exception of rice milk (unless it's flavored) because it's so thin.

Every brand differs in taste and texture so much though. But I've found that a lot of store brands are actually just as good as the name brands which is pretty cool considering sometimes they're a lot cheaper.
#9 Old 08-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to use rice milk for cereal and almond milk for everything else but I got sick of it. Now I only use almond milk. I think unflavored, unsweetened almond milk tastes pretty darn close to cow milk.

Nikki
#10 Old 08-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I bought almond milk. It's vanilla flavored but It doesn't taste anywhere close to milk.

8/3/2010 is the last time I consumed meat.
8/4/2010 is when I became a full blown Vegetarian and I couldn't be more proud.
#11 Old 08-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think any of the milk substitutes really taste like cow's milk, they each have their own flavors If you just think of them as their own milks, you might like them more. For the longest time I was having a hard time giving up milk, but then I just weaned myself off and now, cow's milk by itself is really sour to me (even milkshakes sometimes). I still don't drink milk substitutes alone, but they're good in cereal, baking, and some cooking.
#12 Old 08-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Riot Nrrrd

I thought milk was icky when I was a kid. I was pleasantly surprised when I finally looked in to nondairy milk-type products that some of them taste really good.

#13 Old 08-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Riot Nrrrd

And at this point liquid and semi-liquid dairy does unfortunate things to my guts, so EVERYONE is happier when I avoid them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page