List Of Egg And Milk Replacements For Baking - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

I visited Bobs Red Mill webpage looking for cruelty free baking soda, and found their PDF page of egg and milk subsitution. It's printable, seems really complete, and I posted it on inside my cabinet door! Here's the link--

http://www.bobsredmill.com/docs/pdf/egg.pdf

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-27-2010, 07:17 PM

Omg- is baking soda really not cruelty free already?!?!? I am finding out about so many "hidden" things that aren't vegan... arg. What/ how is b soda not "good"?

Thanks for the list- awesome!
#3 Old 06-28-2010, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara.q.platypus' date='27 June 2010 - 09:17 PM' timestamp='1277687850' post='2665535 View Post

Omg- is baking soda really not cruelty free already?!?!? I am finding out about so many "hidden" things that aren't vegan... arg. What/ how is b soda not "good"?

Thanks for the list- awesome!

I just happened on this info somewhere, and it also referenced the generics being made by Arm & Hammer. I even use baking soda on my hair, and now to brush my teeth with (finding Crest is P&G!). Google "arm and hammer animal testing".

Here's a good link to the big companies-

http://www.caringconsumer.com/pdfs/companiesDoTest.pdf

Of course baking soda itself is good- I can't understand how a product that is so simple, and so old, would be tested on animals- but appartently it is, along with the detergents I used to buy.

Bob's Red Mill

Dr. Bronners soap

Charlies Soap Powder

Some products that rely on fair trade, simple organic ingrediants, and no animal testing.

Please add others you may know of. Charlies I happened on Amazon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

this was (I think) the original article recommending Bob's Red Mills Baking soda. This was a fascinating (and sickening) read on animal cruelty, and even using baking soda to do so....http://tangergreen.com/cruelty-free-...bobs-red-mill/

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#5 Old 06-28-2010, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva' date='28 June 2010 - 07:32 AM' timestamp='1277724723' post='2665693 View Post

Of course baking soda itself is good- I can't understand how a product that is so simple, and so old, would be tested on animals- but appartently it is, along with the detergents I used to buy.

It's not, actually.

I don't know where people are getting their information about this. Church & Dwight (who make Arm & Hammer brand) doesn't test products on animals that are already deemed safe for humans. Since their baking soda has been known to be safe for humans and remains unchanged since the 1800's, it isn't tested on animals. However, Church & Dwight (who own Arm & Hammer) itself DOES test on animals. Their company policy is to view animal testing as a last resort, and do it only insofar as they need to comply with government standards. They make every effort to use products already deemed safe for human consumption so as not to necessitate animal testing.

So, no, the baking soda is not tested on animals. However, yes, the company itself does participate in animal testing.
#6 Old 06-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Semi. I'm not sure what led me on this search other than a bombardment of animal testing info. I still boycott Arm & Hammer. Appartently they continue to do animal testing on products that don't legally require it.

Here's another link to companies that continue unfounded testing:

http://www.gan.ca/lifestyle/animal+t.../index.en.html

The first link was promoting Bobs, although not by Bobs. I'll continue to purchase my baking soda from Bob's Red Mill.

#7 Old 06-29-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva' date='28 June 2010 - 05:32 AM' timestamp='1277724723' post='2665693 View Post

I just happened on this info somewhere, and it also referenced the generics being made by Arm & Hammer. I even use baking soda on my hair, and now to brush my teeth with (finding Crest is P&G!). Google "arm and hammer animal testing".

Here's a good link to the big companies-

http://www.caringconsumer.com/pdfs/companiesDoTest.pdf

Bob's Red Mill

Dr. Bronners soap

Charlies Soap Powder

Some products that rely on fair trade, simple organic ingrediants, and no animal testing.

Please add others you may know of. Charlies I happened on Amazon.

Ah, okay. I couldn't figure out how the heck you would make baking soda out of an animal, lol. I hadn't thought about the poor beasties being tested and tormented being in any way related to plain old baking soda.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page