The Omnivores Are Coming! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

IF our friend tropical depression Alex stays out of the way, we have family coming for a visit next week. I am excited to show off some delicious vegan food (they have not visited since before I made the switch).The timing is great since I have all this great produce. I want to prepare hearty, home style foods with a little something fancy thrown in here and there. They are country folk, but my niece likes to cook and will try new things to a certain point.

I want the meals to be so abundant that there will be no missing the meat at all. Here's what I've come up with so far:

Breakfast-

Build your own breakfast tacos, with potatoes seasoned with peppers and onions,crumbled faux sausage or refried beans,

tofutti sour cream, shredded Daiya ( I wonder if they make Monterrey jack?) tomatoes,green onion,jalapenos, cilantro, and fresh home made salsa from the tomatoes I was given. Follow this with fruit kabobs, and watermelon slushes (thanks ,Heather).

Pancakes with banana nut topping, hash browns, and tempeh bacon (need a good recipe).

Home made cinnamon rolls or giant muffins (need recipe)and MS sausage links, fresh fruit.

Lunch:

Chickpea salad sandwiches with all the trimmings. Home made dip (need recipe) and chips.Strawberry short cake.

Huge baked potatoes with all sorts of toppings.

Something Asian (need ideas).

Dinner:

Baked beans ( found a wonderful recipe on Paula Deen's site),home made mac n cheese,potato salad, chile lime grilled corn, riblets, biscuits or corn bread, cucumber tomato salad , some sort of pie or a tofutti cream cheesecake topped with fruit.

Something "tomatoey", cheesy and bubbly with some nice, rustic garlic bread and a big colorful salad. Something chocolate.

I'd appreciate your input. There will be a five year old and a one year old as well, so kid friendly suggestions are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Here is a tempeh bacon recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance. I haven't actually made it, but I've never made anything from a Moskowitz/Romero cookbook that wasn't delicious. http://captious.wordpress.com/2007/09/23/tempeh-bacon/

You could do some kind of noodle stir-fry for your Asian lunch thing. You don't really need a recipe. Peanut oil, soy sauce, ginger, scallions, garlic, red pepper, whatever veggies you want, maybe some nuts, & some noodles. Instant Asian.

Ratatouille is a good "something tomatoey." I've never had it with cheese, but I can't imagine that it would be bad that way. Or lasagna? That's easy to veganize.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#3 Old 06-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Banned

ok, well, firstoff- when i read "IF our friend tropical depression Alex stays out of the way" i assumed you had an annoyingly ever-present aquaintance called alexander, with a hawaiian shirt fixaction and a desperate need for prozac- who might be ruining your event,..... but now i've clued in- so moving swiftly on....

springrolls are something asian. and also nice. tofu, seitan, or another mysteriously accurately meaty asian fake meat, in tiny slivers, jammed inside them, goes unnoticed, i find. (/excessive use of commas). they go good with sweet and sour sauce, peanut sauce, other sauces that i don't know the name of, basically loads of sauces. a mountain of stirfried rice with a bajillion veggies ( beansprouts, water chestnuts, bok choy, carrots, baby corn, sugar snap peas, red pepper slivers, mushrooms?!) in it is generally good too, especially if you have a tonne of things to shake on it (soy sauce, garlic sauce, hot sauce, mushroom sauce- saucy things). crunchy + filling + sauce is a good combo in my books. noodles are good too.

you could always do a sort of spag bol thing with a garlic bruschetta and antipasto and meaty balls instead though- italian cuisine has loads of non-meaty things that don't seem obviously meatless. they also use rice and pasta. oh! and the greeks and lebonese and other peeps of that sord of middle-eastern locale do nice lemony potatoes and hummus and antipasto and falafels and things like that are fabulous as well. don't get me started on chana masala and pakoras and samosas and naans and indian food either. cos i'll get hungry.

um... for your tomatoey dinnery thing, you could do a tomatoey beany casserole (mexican style? shepherds pie style) with a load of delicious mashed potato and decently fake cheese on the top. you could even nick the ratatouille idea, add beans to it, and cover it in the mash and cheesiness. i had baked bean pie a lot as a kid (cos beans are about 5p a can in england, and potatoes are cheap too)- you plonk a load of baked beans into a casserole dish, add optional cooked veggie sausages, spice up the beans with ketchup, tabasco, hp sauce or whatever if required, cover it in mashed potatoes and cheese, and bung it in the oven til its deliciously hot. easy as pie. without actual pie-crust though.

and anything chocolatey is good. chocolatey moouusses with strawberries dipped in chocolate on the top, with shortbread with chocolate chips in it on the side.... chocolate fudge brownies with mint icecream, vanilla icecream, raspberry iecream, almond icecream (icecream) ... frozen hot chocolate freezies/smoothies... anything chocolatey really. its impossible for chocolate to not be good. in fact, i'm gonna prove that now by having chocolate coconut icecream for breakfast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh my. My stomach is rumbling. These are excellent ideas! Now the hard part;deciding which to choose. Thanks for your input.

No,there's no Alex in the picture other than the stormy kind, but I love your description!
#5 Old 06-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Sally, here's a muffin recipe you could try. https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/in...apple-muffins/

Here's a Cinnamon Roll recipe that sounds good, too.

https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/in...han-cinnabons/

For the homemade dip,you could always try salsa. Tomatoes, chili peppers (make sure you have rubber gloves found in the first-aid section of your local store--the oil from the peppers can be hard on your skin), scallions, pepper, corn, bell peppers--whatever you have on hand, and what's on sale. I hope it's all good, and Alex passes you by.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#6 Old 06-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Beginner

For something Asian you could try Thai coconut rice ... it's quick and easy, although maybe you want something more "heavy" to star in your meal.
#7 Old 06-29-2010, 11:55 AM

Those breakfast tacos sound amazing! I second the stir-fry idea, that's always my go-to meal idea.
#8 Old 06-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, they've opted to wait a few weeks for better weather conditions. Regardless of where Alex hits, we'll be getting lots of rain, so the beach is out of the picture.

This will leave more time to plan. Thanks so much for the ideas-they really helped.

Purp,I was thinking of canning a few batches of salsa.I have everything I need except gloves! Thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page