Cheese cake recipe? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay i poked around the recipe section cause i was going to try to make a cheese cake for my birthday tomorrow (i wanted to make a layered one of lemon and raspberry...)

the problem i am running into is that i opened the Tofutti cream cheese (that many people here recomend)last night and i thought it was terribble! ICK! not even close to anything like cream cheese and i thought the flavor was awful! (very...for lack of a better term... green) BLECH! i wanted to make vegan cheese cake that was totally out of this world for my omni family but i duno if i can do it with that... does the flavor change when i add everything else in?

Any ideas? (for the above) or should i just make an ice cream cake (stealing coconut bliss' ice cream)

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-27-2010, 03:56 PM

Maybe you could make a vegan mousse type of cake, using silken tofu, sweetener and your flavours of choice. Blend it all together, pour into a crust and it sets up like pudding
#3 Old 05-27-2010, 04:13 PM

last time I made vegan cheesecake, I didn't bother with the toffuti cream cheese; I just used tofu.......it wasn't really as good as a dairy cheesecake, but it was ok.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

hmm thanks to both of you! You would use silken tofu? hmm maybe i'll try a tofu/vegan one and a lacto-ovo one...

thanks for both pointers! I might end up doing a vegan ice cream cake cause i know that i can make that good (stealing the usage of coconut bliss ice cream...hehe)

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#5 Old 05-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I made this recipe using the tofutti cream cheese and I couldn't taste it at all. The chocolate covered it up nicely. I can't speak for other flavors, though.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#6 Old 05-28-2010, 07:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I feel the same way about Tofutti... I tried making cream cheese frosting for a carrot cake once, and kept adding more margarine and powdered sugar to try to cover of the flavor of the Tofutti. I'd go with the coconut ice cream cake, especially for guests - you don't want them thinking your vegan cheesecake tastes like tofu.
#7 Old 05-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I made this one and it was really nice! Just like a normal cheesecake. It requires silken tofu.

http://www.eighth-day.co.uk/recipes/ptoflem.htm

ETA: I baked it for 45 minutes at about 325 degrees because it was nowhere near chilled after 2 hours. I then chilled it overnight.
#8 Old 05-29-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Star*Lass* View Post

I made this one and it was really nice! Just like a normal cheesecake. It requires silken tofu.

http://www.eighth-day.co.uk/recipes/ptoflem.htm

ETA: I baked it for 45 minutes at about 325 degrees because it was nowhere near chilled after 2 hours. I then chilled it overnight.

I just bookmarked that recipe the other day to try. I am glad to hear it turned out well. Now I definitely need to make it.
#9 Old 06-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey thanks! my mom ended up buying vegan cupcakes from whole foods - they were delish.. we then made the ice cream cake posted here in the cake section and unfortunatley none of us will eat it - the cake part tastes like vinegar to me...

So glad i didn't try to feed them THAT! now they'll never know!

#10 Old 06-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Well it's good that the cupcakes were yummy. xD

I made a cheesecake a while back using Tofutti, and it was the best cheesecake I've ever had. I was skeptic of using the Tofutti, because it did taste a bit weird, but it honestly was the best ever.

Lemme see if I can find the recipe I used.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#11 Old 06-01-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstack View Post

Hey thanks! my mom ended up buying vegan cupcakes from whole foods - they were delish.. we then made the ice cream cake posted here in the cake section and unfortunatley none of us will eat it - the cake part tastes like vinegar to me...

So glad i didn't try to feed them THAT! now they'll never know!

is that a silly recipe that uses vinegar to try to raise the cake?

you don't need vinegar, baking powder is better, and as far as I know, vegan.

#12 Old 06-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

OOo ok! thanks! It was pretty and mostly tastey except for the AWFUL cake (just liek vinegar)..

I look forward to trying the cheese cake recipes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page