vegan research, help! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-12-2010, 07:21 PM

Hello, I'm doing a research project about veganism and the price of buy vegan/organic. If you don't mind I would really appreciate some feedback on what you buy and how much you spend by answering some of the following questions. Thank you!!

How often do you go grocery shopping?

What do you buy?

How much do you usually spend?

Do you think that buy vegan/organic is too expensive?

Do you think that it would be easy or difficult for a family living near the poverty line to go vegan or at least organic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

How often? Once a day

What do you buy? Produce: bananas, mangoes, pears, kiwi, strwaberries, blueberries, avocado, greens like spinach, kale, chard, romaine, tomatoes, cantelope, etc.

How much do you usually spend? $15-20/day

Do I think too expensive? No, the way I eat I avoid medical costs and am happy and fit.

Do I think it would be easy or difficult for a family near poverty line to go vegan? If their hearts were in it, yes, very easy. Veganism can be done if your ethics dictate that you don't want to cause harm to animals. There are many cheap bulk, dried (inferior nutritionally but doable) items a person could buy.
#3 Old 05-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Banned

once every week or two for a 'big shop' (basics, filling the freezer, etc), inbetween once or twice for a 'little shop' (stuff that i need for a certain recipe/have run out of/i have a sudden penchant for).

What do you buy?

um.... food? fresh fruit and veggies, frozen fruits and veggies, peanut butter, jam, canned beans, corn, tomatoes, dry pasta, rice, rice noodles, condiments, canola and olive oil, gluten free stuff, uht rice and almond milk, cereal, way too much vegan icecream and crap... stuff like that?

the bf pays, so nothing. probably about $100 canadian (66 quid UK, $98 US, $109 AUS) every 2 weeks if i cut out his shopping from the bill.

organic is expensive- too expensive for me most of the time. but i understand why it costs that much, and the price won't drop unless we support it as much as possible. vegan isn't too expensive- especially if you decide not to buy expensive prepared crap, but focus on staples, and shop in bulk.

Do you think that it would be easy or difficult for a family living near the poverty line to go vegan or at least organic?

organic- they'd really struggle if they wanted to eat in the manner they were accustomed to, and were accustomed to eating frozen waffles and exotic fruit whenever they fancied.

vegan shouldn't be an issue, unless they tried to live on quinoa milk and boxed ready-meals- a 10lb bag of rice is cheap, dried beans are cheap, in season produce is cheap..... . education would be key. if you just left them in a supermarket with no support at all, most new vegans would flounder a bit- poverty line or not- but there is quite a big problem with education (nutrition, cooking, budget management, etc) and basically time for many people on the poverty line (and off it)- addressing that would be vital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Probably about once a week.

What do you buy?

Produce such as apples, peaches, pears, cabbage, turtle food (lettuce and bok choy, which i also eat) grains like pasta, yogurt, and some times frozen amy's entrees.

30-60 dollars, but never more than 60 a week.

Absolutely not. If you focus more on produce and grains, it is cheap eating for sure. I can make a pound of pasta last for weeks. Organic, on the other hand, would be much harder. I buy organic because the food I eat I also feed to my animals. I don't want my turtle and rabbit eating chemicals and I don't want to eat them either. If I bought more conventionally grown produce my grocery bill would be lower.

Vegan, absolutely. Dairy and meat products are much more expensive than produce and grains and they go bad faster. Organic, not a chance unless they were a member of a local co-op or something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page