cajun red beans & rice? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-11-2010, 06:39 PM

so, tonight for dinner i am making red beans & rice. (w/ cornbread of course) i went to basic foods earlier trying to find some sort of veggie sausage to use now that i've converted to veg (3 weeks, as of today) the only sausage i could find was some tofurkey polish sausage..i heated some in the microwave & tasted it & i thought it was nasty so i decided to just use my same recipe, no meat sub involved.

i actually got my boyfriend to convert to veg (), so i want to keep my mealtess cooking as awesome as possible

does anyone have any suggestions on a veggie sausage i could use for next time? the only luck i had finding some that was veggie was italian sausage & i think those flavors would have totally thrown everything off...

thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-11-2010, 07:00 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

oh man

there is this one veggie sausage that's made with apples and potatoes...crap, i'll think of the name and get back to you on it

but it would do the best in really thick red beans, how thick do you make yours?

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#3 Old 05-11-2010, 07:41 PM

i use a pressure cooker.. and i add the red beans, 1 can of hot rotel, garlic, bell pepper, & green onions.. then i just put in in there and cook for a little over an hour. tonight is my first time to make them without any kind of sausage or anything, so im wondering how it will turn out.. and this time i decided to use long grain brown rice instead of white

i forgot to add about how thick they are..they're not really thick at all.. im wondering how i could possibly make them a little bit thicker? im sure that would make them better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-11-2010, 08:26 PM

OK...first let me say CONGRATS!!!! on going veg*n that ROCKS!! now the business.... I grew up eating whole hog farm sausage, so when I went veg it was hard to find something even close. BUT I LOVE Gimmie Lean sausage and ground beef. It makes everything from meatballs to sausage gravy and browns really well. I have even had meat eaters not notice the difference!!! Having said that iIt's not so much a red bean and rice kinda sausage...it comes in a tube like real sausage....Tofurkey has some great sausages and there is even some brand of soy chorizo(but dont eat the skin, just squeeze it out) I think the main reason you didn't like it was the microwave Fake meat does not do well in the microwave...it really needs to be browned on all sides to taste more real. I suggest either sauté it in a small pan or cut it up and put it in with your beans and rice in the pressure cooker. It's all about trial and error and our changing taste buds, so keep trying and your sure to find something.

Hope this helps! Good luck!!!
#5 Old 05-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

oh man

there is this one veggie sausage that's made with apples and potatoes...crap, i'll think of the name and get back to you on it

but it would do the best in really thick red beans, how thick do you make yours?

these ones?: http://www.fieldroast.com/products.htm

.... there is a mexican chipolte one in there.
#6 Old 05-12-2010, 05:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysInFire View Post

I think the main reason you didn't like it was the microwave Fake meat does not do well in the microwave...it really needs to be browned on all sides to taste more real. I suggest either sauté it in a small pan or cut it up and put it in with your beans and rice in the pressure cooker. It's all about trial and error and our changing taste buds, so keep trying and your sure to find something.

^^^This. Just the thought of microwaving Tofurkey sausages makes my stomach turn.
#7 Old 05-12-2010, 06:37 AM

yeah im thinking also the microwave wasn't the best idea, but i kind of wanted to try it before i just cooked it with everything else...haha

but the whole flavor of it in general wasn't what i was looking for...it was some kind of tofurkey polish sausage..totally not what i had in mind...

but..i did also buy some of the gimmelean breakfast sausage, & i'm very excited to try it! any suggestions on what i should make with it?
#8 Old 05-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I made the recipe on this forum that calls for Soy Chorizo (I get it at TJ's). It turned out fabulous. Even my omni husband and co-workers loved it.

Laura

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page