Steam Cooking - Steaming - Steamer Thread - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-11-2010, 04:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to feel hungry often. However, I started steaming veggie recently and they are awesome. I have a good steamer at home but never used it. Started using it recently. There are some good books also out on this topic. Anyone here steams veggies ? Please share your experience here. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-11-2010, 10:36 AM

I love steamed veggies. It the best way to cook veggies if you don't want to lose a lot of the nutrients, or add things like salt or oil. I steamed an artichoke last night to go with my dinner, it was divine. It's a great alternative to boiling veggies, where the color/vitamins tend to just leach out into the cooking water.

I made a New England "boiled" dinner for St. Patrick's day that was steamed cabbage, turnips, carrots and potatoes. I added bay leaf while they cooked for flavour. My new rice/veggie steamer even comes with a little spot to put herbs/spices so you can infuse whatever you are steaming with the flavour. I haven't played around with it yet, but I must...
#3 Old 05-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I love love love steamed veggies! (although honestly i do love them raw more, most of them anyhow) Its the best way to ensure my omni hubby eats any... i use the old method with the steamer pot that sits on the pot of water (maybe its not that old?)

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstack View Post

I love love love steamed veggies! (although honestly i do love them raw more, most of them anyhow)

Same here. I know raw veggies are great for you but I need them steamed!
#5 Old 05-12-2010, 03:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I went to a library and read a book on steaming veggies. Unbelievable that this method is 3000 years old !! Even Omni's use this method a lot to steam stuff. Here, I am a Veggie for so long and didn't explore it. Makes me feel really ignorant. I need to be more alert/aware and explore anything that seems interesting, useful or is discussed. Absolutely, unbelievable.
#6 Old 05-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

lol don't feel ignorent! You get to experiament now!

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#7 Old 05-12-2010, 09:03 AM

I have a vegetable steamer but I don't use it enough. Vegetables do taste much better steamed than boiled and they are much healthier.
#8 Old 05-12-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvijay View Post

I went to a library and read a book on steaming veggies. Unbelievable that this method is 3000 years old !! Even Omni's use this method a lot to steam stuff. Here, I am a Veggie for so long and didn't explore it. Makes me feel really ignorant. I need to be more alert/aware and explore anything that seems interesting, useful or is discussed. Absolutely, unbelievable.

I think it's great that you have an adventurous spirit when it comes to cooking and expanding your horizons. It's especially great that you are discovering this now, since you have been veg*n for a while, because if you have been bored with your food or getting into a rut with the meals you prepare, this opens up lots of new options to make things exciting for you again. You can not only explore steaming veggies, but steaming grains or making foods like steamed dumplings. Have fun!
#9 Old 05-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I never steam veggies. I got a steamer for christmas two years ago but totally forgot about it until just now. I think I'm going to try steaming this week, thanks for reminding me!
#10 Old 05-13-2010, 01:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I baked a lot of veggies in Crockpot recently as an experiment for 6.5 hours:

a. Soft Veggies:Green beans, Cabbage, carrots,

b. Hard Veggies: squash, potatoes, soaked beans

All the soft veggies in type a. became very squishy. They also lost colour, were not as tasty and finally left me with an acidic feeling. This was very dissappointing. Henceforth, I will only use crockpot for hard veggies. Will use steamer for all the soft veggies.
#11 Old 05-13-2010, 02:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I felt hungry already and had to snack. What I think has happened is that the veggies are overcooked. Also, I ate lesser carbs. Very little pasta. The day I had steamed meal, I felt so good at work and didn't even need lunch. Will have to steam for a week atleast to see if the results are consistent.
#12 Old 05-13-2010, 02:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerFoxx View Post

I think it's great that you have an adventurous spirit when it comes to cooking and expanding your horizons. It's especially great that you are discovering this now, since you have been veg*n for a while, because if you have been bored with your food or getting into a rut with the meals you prepare, this opens up lots of new options to make things exciting for you again. You can not only explore steaming veggies, but steaming grains or making foods like steamed dumplings. Have fun!

Thanks for your kind words. I am also going to try and read a book called the Food Processor Bible. This is an aside but will be my next mini learning project.
#13 Old 05-13-2010, 02:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I also had a very nice mini rice cooker with a steamer tray over a year ago. The non-stick coating came off in the pan in some places, so I threw it away as it is bad for cooking rice. However, I could have still used it as a steamer. Wish I was attentive then. I think this went to the land fill and no one used it. What a waste !! This would have been good to keep at work. All I would have needed to do was to keep a box with raw cut veggies. Then, I can steam a small snack of nice veggies whenever I need for convenience. Still not a bad idea if that rice cooker ever goes on sale, I have seen it at 10 bucks or lesser even sometimes.
#14 Old 05-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I know it's healthier but I just don't like the taste of steamed veggies.
#15 Old 05-16-2010, 05:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I had a nice meal of steamed veggies earlier today: Broccoli, Yellow Peppers and green Beans. Tofu spicy sauce to top this. Rice and a small bread roll sides.

Green beans were undercooked. Next time, I will do better. I will add the veggies that need more time first such as green beans, carrots and then will add other softer veggies with time.

Great related reference site:

http://www.ochef.com/596.htm

I made another meal later.

Green Beans, carrots(Thick pieces), cabbage needed 7minutes steaming almost. Added sesame seed oil to this. Mixed steamed broccoli, plum tomatoes, yellow peppers with boiled rice and Light guacamole.

Also had a learning lesson with my kitchen timer, it counts in minutes and seconds, not just seconds as I had expected. This is good to know for the future.

Even if some veggies are expensive, it is not a problem.I can purchase the more expensive ones in smaller amounts and those on sale in greater amounts. This way I have variety and things also evenout.
#16 Old 05-16-2010, 05:36 AM
Veggie Regular

For Shellie: Steamed veggies are an acquired taste. I am going to make special sauces to use with my steamed veggies. These will add variety/taste.
#17 Old 05-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Beginner

The only way i've had artichoke is steamed... and unless i'm eating it raw, steaming broccoli is the only way I ever eat it as well... same thing with cauliflour, green beans, and I also like steamed carrots. My kid loves to play with the steamer basket. I also use a pressure cooker often, but generally just for beans... pressure cookers also work on steam. And the grand finale... TAMALES! You can't make them without steam! I'm still working on getting them to come out so the masa does not stick to the corn husk too much... my Mexican friend said his mom told me to use lard... but i'm sticking with crisco... anybody good at tamales?
#18 Old 05-18-2010, 09:28 AM

What a timely post...I've been thinking about steaming and trying to come up with alternatives. I don't have a steamer, so what I did last night was this: I put just a tad of water in a big pot and added a bunch of Kale, put the lid on and cooked on high for 3 minutes. When I took the lid off the Kale was this beautiful bright green color. I added lemon juice and garlic and tossed and the Kale was delicious. Is what I did the same as steaming or at the very least was it an ok alternative (as far as preserving nutrients goes) ?
#19 Old 05-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey, rvijay, that's a good idea... I'm sure I'd like steamed veggies more if I made sauces for them. I may have to try that next time!
#20 Old 05-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Even just oil, vinegar and a dash of spices taste good on steamed veggies. I tried to steam small cut okra pieces over the weekend, it was still quite slimy inside after 5 minutes of steaming. Might need to steam longer next time.
#21 Old 05-24-2010, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

dude, you have put a smile on my face tonight, reading this! SEriously.....what a great read, on something that is giving you so much pleasure, and is so healthy for you in the meantime.

Here's a suggestion for a new taste. Take about 1/4- 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar and cook it till it's reduced, and makes a syrup. Don't burn it, then drizzle over your veggies. I've done this twice recently for both grilled veggies and roasted veggies. I love the flavor it imparts.

Keep having fun with your experiments.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#22 Old 05-25-2010, 03:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks PhotoJess, I tried steaming Vegan Chicken yesterday. I am supposed to steam for 25 minutes but did for just 9 minutes. Didn't realize it initially. It was still ok, however it appeared diffused. Vegan chicken is better baked or grilled.
#23 Old 05-25-2010, 04:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I just enquired about a coworkers lunch box. He first steams his veggies half the way(ie., if full steaming is 4 minutes, he steams for 2 minutes only). Then lateron he stir fries the other half the way for like 3 to 4 minutes !! Interesting combination but don't think I will try this. Will share here if I ever do this.
#24 Old 05-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

how exciting!

#25 Old 05-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

why would you need a specific veggie steamer? I have gotten super excited about steaming my veggies, I have a double boiler dude, but when its lunchtime, I tend to just throw them in the microwave for like 15-30 seconds with some water and a plate on top?

I know that some people think microwaving loses nutrients and steaming would probably lose less... is this vegetable steamer like a rice cooker? where its automated?
#26 Old 05-25-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayEm View Post

What a timely post...I've been thinking about steaming and trying to come up with alternatives. I don't have a steamer, so what I did last night was this: I put just a tad of water in a big pot and added a bunch of Kale, put the lid on and cooked on high for 3 minutes. When I took the lid off the Kale was this beautiful bright green color. I added lemon juice and garlic and tossed and the Kale was delicious. Is what I did the same as steaming or at the very least was it an ok alternative (as far as preserving nutrients goes) ?

Actually I think this is a great steaming alternative Instead of the nutrients falling into the steaming water the become like a sauce with the garlic and lemon juice..nice.
#27 Old 05-26-2010, 01:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Not many nutrients go into the steaming water. If this is a concern, then use just 1/2 cup of steaming water or so. At the end, whatever is leftover can be used to make a quick sauce for the veggies.

Steaming veggies is great on a hot day, reduces kitchen heat time.
#28 Old 05-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

How to steam Vermicelli(Note this is an omni link):

http://moroccanfood.about.com/od/tip...Medfouna_4.htm

Basic Procedure: Oil Vermicelli well and steam for 20 minutes atleast.
#29 Old 05-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Steaming vermicelli failed badly as I didn't add the oil. So I just put it directly in the hot water.

On a different note, it is said that the wok can be used to steam. This is quite interesting also:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/e...ers-of-the-wok
#30 Old 05-29-2010, 05:51 PM

sounds awesome....I love to steam veggies and steamed cauliflower for dinner tonight....it was great

peace

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page