please help: valentine dinner - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-21-2004, 01:47 PM

ok, heres the thing, my husband and i have planned this great valentines day. we are going to wake up and have a nice breakfast, then spend the day together going to the movies and out to lunch and then shopping. we reserved a really nice jacuzzi suite right out of town and it is in the middle of nowhere. i am vegan and he is almost vegan (he eats packaged ovolacto veg stuff like pastry and candy). there is going to be nothing good for us to eat when we get there. i need to make some yummy vegan stuff for our evening but it cant be something heated. do any of you have any ideas for me? id hate to end our beautiful day with taco bell! blech! thanks in advance guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I was thinking, maybe pack a romantic picnic. Cold noodle pasta salads, spreads, vegan pate, lots of bread...maybe top it off with a bottle of wine and make an indoors picnic in the hotel room?

could buy reusable plastic plates and silverware etc all easily packable and no nosey maids cleaning up when your done?

oh you could make a gazpacho ( cold mexican diced tomato soup with almost a salsa like consistency )

and maybe a nice cheese or two for him, along with a dip or spread you would enjoy?

hummos, baba ganouch, tabouli ..
#3 Old 01-21-2004, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Chocolate covered strawberries should be easy

melt some dark chocoate- stir in some soy, rice, or almond milk if you don't like it dark-dip and let harden.

A fruit saladwould be nice too- maybe you can find a recipe for a cream cheese fruit dip and sub Tofutti's better than cream cheese?

*I love romance!* Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-22-2004, 12:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiccanveg View Post

I was thinking, maybe pack a romantic picnic. Cold noodle pasta salads, spreads, vegan pate, lots of bread...maybe top it off with a bottle of wine and make an indoors picnic in the hotel room?

Definitely!

May I suggest my favorite pasta salad: a couple packs of ramen noodles with their seasoning, veg oil (1/2 cup), sugar (1/4 cup) or other sweetener, vinegar (1/4 cup), cole slaw mix, pine nuts and almond slivers. Yum! Er, hope I remember the proportions right (there's a thread somewhere ....). You just let the uncooked noodles soak for a couple of hours.

My favorite romantic dessert: Fruit salad (your choice of your favorite fruits) soaked in Cointreau or Grand Marnier liqueur. Serve with chocolate sauce or vegan whipped cream.

And yeah, some really good bread with your favorite dips. Some olives would be good, too.
#5 Old 01-24-2004, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

You are a good lover planning this so far in advance.

I have a great picnic basket just for this kind of event with some really nice cloth heart napkins and towels. There is no lid to my basket so I lay a folded fleece blanket over the top of everything.

I have two romantic champagne glasses that I wrap in the napkins until the cork is popped. Sometimes I go with Fre pink Champaign or that pink herbal drink for Valentines Day. I bring strawberries and red grapes to start things off. Often a small container of hazelnuts or better yet, whole grain hazelnut bread with tofutti comes out with the fruit. For the meal I like a mixed grain salad (see Lorna Sass, The New Vegetarian) with cold steamed asparagus bundles. A green salad is nice if you want bread instead of grains. A small container of curried setan or tofu salad set in fresh butter lettuce leaves would be a pretty side for the earthy grains and asparagus.

I want some really wonderful chocolate and the best coffee possible for "after". If you have time, vegan truffles are not really hard to make and they are so wonderful. If you do not want to make them with liqueur then latte syrups make an acceptable substitution.

If you are not already exhausted (and you really do not want to be) you could also tuck in some special cookies (I like sesame-coconut shortbread with or without the chocolate glaze but have lost the recipe) or homemade vegan muffins for later.

I think Ill go get ready for my day now.

Have fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page