Has anyone here ordered anything from Vegusto? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-20-2010, 01:50 AM
Banned

In another thread someone recommended a vegan cheese from Vegusto, a company in Switzerland.

Going to the website http://www.vegusto.com/ I find all sorts of interesting faux meats and cheeses. The website is in different languages so they seem to be interested in catering to an international clientèle.

I happily loaded up my shopping cart with item after item and selected 'check out'. I filled out my shipping details, hit the buttons and got a message saying 'order complete'. Which was odd as I did not put in any payment information as there was no place to enter in credit card details.

Well, yesterday I got an email from the company thanking me for the order and then instructions on how to pay them. They gave me bank account details and asked me to do a bank transfer directly into their account for the 39 euros. They also asked that I then fax them proof that I had made the bank transfer. Once they receive the fax they would then process my order.

Bank transfer? Fax machines? Is it 1985 or what?

For such a well laid out website it seems completely odd that they would not accept credit card payments or have paypal or anything like that.

Has anyone dealt with them before? What's up with them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-20-2010, 04:17 AM
Banned

So I've exchanged a few emails with them. They were adamant that they would not accept credit cards or cheques or anything other than a bank transfer. I told them I did not have the ability to do bank transfers in Euros from my online UK bank and that I did not have a fax machine. They then cancelled my order!

Wow.
#3 Old 04-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

That sounds really shady. You would think a credit card payment would be much easier to process and they would receive the money a lot faster. I can't even begin to imagine why they wouldn't take cards because you really can't bounce a credit card. So odd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

On a side note, their products do look really good.
#5 Old 04-20-2010, 01:00 PM

seems bodgy. too old skool for me to bother with so sucks for their business i guess.
#6 Old 04-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

So I've exchanged a few emails with them. They were adamant that they would not accept credit cards or cheques or anything other than a bank transfer. I told them I did not have the ability to do bank transfers in Euros from my online UK bank and that I did not have a fax machine. They then cancelled my order!

Wow.

Wow indeed. Isnt it rather quick and easy to set up a paypal account? If they are a business there might be a fee - but they are a business so should accept that. or uh, take a cheque? I wonder how many customers they lose because of this. Or is it the normal kind of payment system in Switzerland? I wouldn't have a clue.

I can't find any mention of payment method on the site. Surely it should be somewhere? I know that the website has been translated, but their terms and conditions are kinda strange. "If anything is unclear, the underlying terms and conditions in the German version apply."

On another note http://www.vegusto.com/shop-eu/produ...pray-beef-p-79 I saw this on the side bar and thought it was for human use, and was quite grossed out.
#7 Old 04-21-2010, 12:55 AM
Banned

I'm just trying to figure out why a retailer would set up a nice website only to make it so difficult for customers to buy things. Are they paranoid of credit cards? Don't want the hassle of getting a card reader? Don't want to pay the cost of Worldpay or other online payment systems? It's just weird.
#8 Old 04-21-2010, 01:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm just trying to figure out why a retailer would set up a nice website only to make it so difficult for customers to buy things. Are they paranoid of credit cards? Don't want the hassle of getting a card reader? Don't want to pay the cost of Worldpay or other online payment systems? It's just weird.

Odd, but they just appear to be quaintly old-fashioned in their methods of payment. Perhaps you should email them and ask them why, and suggest that you would buy from them if they accepted payment options like Paypal (even if they add a few pence extra to compensate for what they have to pay Paypal).

They appear to be legitimate - they have a Facebook page with 799 fans http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vegust...8022124?v=wall

and have been going since 1997, and were discussed on Veggie Boards in 2008

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...s-vegan-cheese)

and even have a You Tube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/vegustotv

So, if you want the products, I guess you are just going to have to jump through their hoops!
#9 Old 04-21-2010, 01:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie54321 View Post

Odd, but they just appear to be quaintly old-fashioned in their methods of payment. Perhaps you should email them and ask them why, and suggest that you would buy from them if they accepted payment options like Paypal (even if they add a few pence extra to compensate for what they have to pay Paypal).

They appear to be legitimate - they have a Facebook page with 799 fans http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vegust...8022124?v=wall

and have been going since 1997, and were discussed on Veggie Boards in 2008

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...s-vegan-cheese)

and even have a You Tube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/vegustotv

So, if you want the products, I guess you are just going to have to jump through their hoops!

I did just that. I explained that I did not have a fax machine and that my bank didn't do Euro transactions. I asked about paypal or cheque and pointed to other veggie webshops that accept credit cards etc. It was 'no' 'no' 'no' for all attempts at doing business with them. Totally inflexible.

Perhaps they are independently wealthy and just do this business as a hobby and aren't concerned about successfully promoting their products to a wider audience?
#10 Old 04-21-2010, 01:39 AM
Banned

Maybe if everyone reading this went to their website, placed an order and then said 'I don't have a fax machine' which cancels the order, perhaps they'd get the message that they need to update their business model?
#11 Old 04-21-2010, 01:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I did just that. I explained that I did not have a fax machine and that my bank didn't do Euro transactions. I asked about paypal or cheque and pointed to other veggie webshops that accept credit cards etc. It was 'no' 'no' 'no' for all attempts at doing business with them. Totally inflexible.

Perhaps they are independently wealthy and just do this business as a hobby and aren't concerned about successfully promoting their products to a wider audience?

But then why would they have a Facebook page and You Tube channel? It appears that they are current with online marketing methods, but for some reason stay in the dark ages when payment is concerned.

Will your bank really not do Euro transactions? I thought something like that would be standard these days (not that I've ever tried).
#12 Old 04-21-2010, 01:49 AM
Banned

Quote:

But then why would they have a Facebook page and You Tube channel? It appears that they are current with online marketing methods, but for some reason stay in the dark ages when payment is concerned.

Will your bank really not do Euro transactions? I thought something like that would be standard these days (not that I've ever tried).

That's a good point. They seem to have some bizarre aversion to modern financing but are happy to use other technology.

I don't bank with a normal bank, I use an on-line one. But even if I could I still don't have a fax machine....

It really is bizarre. It's like opening a shop that only takes pennies for payment.

Customer: I'd like to buy this please

Shop: OK that will be 348 pennies please

Customer: I've got a five pound note...

Shop: No I'm sorry but we only accept pennies as payment

Customer: Right, I have a pound coin and a few fifty pence....

Shop: No, its pennies only I'm afraid. Copper based coins only.

Customer: Well I don't have enough pennies to buy this

Shop: There's a bank across the street you can cash your five pound note for pennies there, come back and pay for the item that way

Customer: Are you serious? That's a lot of hassle for just this one item

Shop: I'm sorry you feel that way but this is how we conduct our business

Customer: How about if we just forget about it?

Shop: Fine by me. Good day!
#13 Old 04-21-2010, 02:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Maybe if everyone reading this went to their website, placed an order and then said 'I don't have a fax machine' which cancels the order, perhaps they'd get the message that they need to update their business model?

I'll do that later for you. Just for YOU. Because you made that wonderful cookbook you deserve a favour in return.
#14 Old 04-21-2010, 02:17 AM
Banned

Quote:

I'll do that later for you. Just for YOU. Because you made that wonderful cookbook you deserve a favour in return.

Cheers!
#15 Old 06-02-2011, 01:32 PM

You can get it without all that fuss from Alternative Stores
http://www.alternativestores.com/eth...e/cat_396.html

The vegan cheese is really nice although Im not so keen on the fake meats

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page