Strawberry Recipes (With or without the bugs. I don't care.) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

So. I had a "moment" at the grocery store the other day.

Large 2 lb boxes of strawberries were on sale. I purchased several of them. (I don't know what came over me. I was standing there looking at them like they were a litter of kittens and I simply HAD to take them home with me.)

I will absolutely cry if a single one goes to waste. I need some recipes you guys like that will refrigerate or freeze well.

We can also talk about strawberry bugs too if you like... You know, if there is anyone who is not quite over their icked-out sensation and needs a Safe Place in order to Talk About Their Feelings.

However, I DON'T want to just freeze them for smoothies. Anyone who comes here with that cheater-suggestion will be ineligible for my Hero of the Day award for at least a month. I have a bunch of bananas frozen for smoothies and the idea of something with seeds infesting my creamy banana smoothies makes me want to poke people's eyes out with rusty forks.

So what the crap do I do with them? Currently, I'm eating them on cereal and fighting with every fiber of my being not to make something horrific for me like strawberry shortcake or strawberry rhubarb pie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Strawbe...sa/Detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sweet-a...ad/Detail.aspx

http://find.myrecipes.com/food/recip...ipe_id=1197176

My favorite website ever (I don't remember who on the boards showed me, but whoever you are: I LOVE YOU! Shh, don't tell my boyfriend): http://www.supercook.com You put everything you have in your house, and it gives you recipes based off of said ingredients.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#3 Old 04-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Well I'd just skip the cereal and eat strawberries for breakfast. I can eat a whole pint in one sitting when it's strawberry season. Or slice them up and pour on some Mimiccreme.

It's probably not the right time of year for sun dried strawberries yet, but you could try drying them in the oven at low temps. Dried strawberries are like candy.

Make a puree, add some vinegar and whatever else you like, and make strawberry vinaigrette. Very good on spinach salad.

You can also make sugar free freezer jam, if you want to be super healthy and avoid sugar. I like jams with sugar though. The recipes are usually included with the pectin you buy.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-13-2010, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Strawberry rhubarb pie is a marvelous idea! But if not...how about frushi? There's a recipe in Vegan Table:

Cook 1 cup short-grain rice in a mixture of half water and half coconut milk. Add 1-2 tablespoons of sugar and a pinch of salt. Let cool. Peel and slice 4 peaches.

Prepare a strawberry sauce by putting 2 cups diced strawberries, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 2 teaspoons orange juice, 1/2 cup water, and 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar in a pot and cook over medium heat until syrupy. Press through a fine-mesh strainer so it's totally smooth.

When rice is cool, form into small, oblong mounds by pressing between the palms of your hands. Place on a mint leaf (or just a plate) and top each mound with one peach slice, one strawberry slice, and a blueberry (or raspberry or other small berry.) Drizzle with strawberry reduction sauce. Makes 36 pieces.
#5 Old 04-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

#6 Old 04-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

You know... I never though to mention how much I dislike mushrooms as a warning... I didn't figure strawberries and mushrooms for a good mix!

I guess I should say the following food items aren't allowed to see the inside of my stomach: raw tomatoes, cilantro, and mushrooms.

Thanks everyone, keep 'em coming! I'm sorting through some awesome stuff now... I'm loving some of these ideas!
#7 Old 04-13-2010, 12:06 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

If you were referring to the link I posted, scroll down a bit on the page. The recipe I meant is down a bit.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#8 Old 04-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

If you were referring to the link I posted, scroll down a bit on the page. The recipe I meant is down a bit.

OOOOH. Okay. I saw the title "mushroom stacks and cheesecake strawberries" and just assumed it was ONE food item. I figure anyone who can stick chunks of fungus in their mouth with glee is insane enough to pair them in a dish with just about anything, including cheesecake strawberries.

Thanks for setting me straight, those strawberries DO look amazing. MMMMMMM... Cheesecake strawberries... *gurgle*
#9 Old 04-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Banned

making strawberry sorbet doesn't count as 'freezing them for smoothies' i hope. its just strawberries heated until soft, put through a blender and then a seive, mixed with sugar syrup and a bit of lemon juice, then put into an icecream maker (or a tub in the freezer- and stirred every 30 mins or so till frozen, if you aint got an icecream maker).

i make a bunch of them at a time in little applesauce cups, and cover them with foil lids. the bf inhales the damned things. i have to hide some in the bottom of the freezer under healthy things if i want any for myself.
#10 Old 04-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Hahaha, I like the fact that you have to hide them under healthy food. Is he one of those "I don't like anything healthy" types?

#11 Old 04-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

OOOOH. Okay. I saw the title "mushroom stacks and cheesecake strawberries" and just assumed it was ONE food item. I figure anyone who can stick chunks of fungus in their mouth with glee is insane enough to pair them in a dish with just about anything, including cheesecake strawberries.

Thanks for setting me straight, those strawberries DO look amazing. MMMMMMM... Cheesecake strawberries... *gurgle*

Hehe. Agreed. *hates mushrooms*

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#12 Old 04-14-2010, 07:25 AM

What about blending some strawberries up with some silken tofu making a vegan mousse? Or you could make a rice/chia/tapioca type pudding and add berries. Do you have any apples? Maybe some strawberry applesauce? Personally, I love strawberries in my green salads.
#13 Old 04-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:

However, I DON'T want to just freeze them for smoothies. Anyone who comes here with that cheater-suggestion will be ineligible for my Hero of the Day award for at least a month. I have a bunch of bananas frozen for smoothies and the idea of something with seeds infesting my creamy banana smoothies makes me want to poke people's eyes out with rusty forks.

Forks... I think Sevenseas is rubbing off on you...

I'll have to think about this. The thing is, I love fruit so much just by itself I never bother actually cooking it- except maybe for quince, which really improves with cooking. With the arrival of warmer weather I've taken to moistening quick rolled oats (unsweetened) and adding some of whatever fruit I have on hand for my breakfast... except maybe citrus, although I'd probably like that too! I'd call it muesli, but I think muesli has more ingredients and my breakfast is too simple.

(Hmmmm. I will confess that I do enjoy eating fungus, but a recipe including both them and strawberries would be imaginative, to say the least.)

Anyway- enjoy your strawberry feeding frenzy while I go look through my cookbooks.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#14 Old 04-14-2010, 01:14 PM

I LOVE this recipe. So simple and easy. I veganized it by using ener-g egg replacer and whole soy strawberry yogurt. I also used half the amount of sugar suggested. I always use fresh strawberries and haven't tried this recipe with frozen strawberries as the recipe calls for. I never use nuts in these. You cannot eat just one.

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Str...Muffins-151388
#15 Old 04-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

I think Sevenseas is rubbing off on you...

I guess my mind is in the gutter today. I know I am not reading this the way you intended.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#16 Old 04-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Angel View Post

Hahaha, I like the fact that you have to hide them under healthy food. Is he one of those "I don't like anything healthy" types?

nah, he's just a bit exotic-vegetable-phobic. he'll eat tofu and stuff, but if it looks toooo healthy or remotely weird, its safe.
#17 Old 04-14-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

It's probably not the right time of year for sun dried strawberries yet, but you could try drying them in the oven at low temps. Dried strawberries are like candy.

Make a puree, add some vinegar and whatever else you like, and make strawberry vinaigrette. Very good on spinach salad.

You can also make sugar free freezer jam, if you want to be super healthy and avoid sugar. I like jams with sugar though. The recipes are usually included with the pectin you buy.

Mmm interesting ideas.
#18 Old 04-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

This is awful. Truly awful.

I want to go out and buy MORE strawberries now, to make all the awesome things you guys posted. I'm sitting here with my handy vegan shopping list, checking off ALL kinds of things so I can make these recipes. Frushi, cheesecake strawberries, strawberry sorbet, strawberry yogurt muffins, strawberry applesauce...

Holy hell, I can't wait! Tomorrow, I shall cook...
#19 Old 04-15-2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:

Frushi

*adds nori to her shopping list* I am not only intrigued and inspired, but wondering how this idea never occurred to me before...
#20 Old 04-15-2010, 06:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm making strawberry banana chocolate chip muffins! The recipe could be doubled or tripled and some of it frozen.

For people who don't like bananas, there are recipes without.
#21 Old 04-16-2010, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I cup strawberries, pureed and sieved to remove seeds.

1/2 cup almond milk

4 or 5 bruised and minced mint leaves

Sugar to taste

2 shots (more or less) good vodka

Blend all with ice

Salud!
#22 Old 04-17-2010, 05:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Sounds good! Will take it without the vodka.
#23 Old 04-17-2010, 06:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm sure you ate all those strawberries by now, Semi. Something I used to do (*and you guys would know how to make this vegan and then will tell me so I can do it again). I'd cut the tops off like they were little pumpkins and fill them w/ cream cheese that I had mixed w/ powdered sugar and vanilla using a plastic sandwich bag w/ a corner snipped off. After that, I'd dip them in melted dark chocolate. OMG so yummy!
#24 Old 04-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

I'm sure you ate all those strawberries by now, Semi. Something I used to do (*and you guys would know how to make this vegan and then will tell me so I can do it again). I'd cut the tops off like they were little pumpkins and fill them w/ cream cheese that I had mixed w/ powdered sugar and vanilla using a plastic sandwich bag w/ a corner snipped off. After that, I'd dip them in melted dark chocolate. OMG so yummy!

I have not eaten them all. This may or may not (mostly may) be because I went and bought MORE since I got so many good recipe ideas here...

PS - The link Puppet Master posted (post #5) seems like a good place to start! Just gotta add dark, vegan chocolate to make it kinda like what you're talking about!
#25 Old 04-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begonia View Post

I'm making strawberry banana chocolate chip muffins! The recipe could be doubled or tripled and some of it frozen.

For people who don't like bananas, there are recipes without.

Why do I have a feeling this was directed at me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

I actually could probably do this tonight, if I'm not too tired.

#26 Old 04-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw this made on tv years ago and always have meant to make it. http://www.abc.net.au/jamescancook/s683036.htm

I realise it has fish sauce in the recipe, but I think there is a vegan alternative available.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page