Cheap wheat: time to make seitan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Banned

The world will have so much wheat this year that U.S. farmers could leave every acre unplanted and still have a surplus, a sign of more losses after futures had their worst first quarter in 15 years.

A 34 percent jump in the combined harvests of Australia and Russia over two years is creating the biggest wheat glut since 2002, even as American growers sow the fewest acres in 39 years and the U.S. Department of Agriculture raises its estimate of world output each month since June. Analysts surveyed by Bloomberg expect an 8.8 percent price drop by July.

Two years after prices doubled, sparking food riots from Haiti to Indonesia, the U.S., Canada and Russia are battling for export markets. The 14 percent drop in the first quarter means lower costs for Premier Foods Plc, the U.K. maker of Hovis breads, and slower growth for grain processors including Archer Daniels Midland Co.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...worsening.html

Perhaps this is an opportunity to create inexpensive 'wheat meat' items to compete with soy-based faux meat products?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-13-2010, 10:22 AM

I agree, though the major downfall wheat has is that not only do some folks have gluten allergies, but even those without gluten allergies tend to be generally a bit more congested and retain more water and so forth on a diet containing a lot of gluten. Personally, I eat wheat products on a daily basis, but try to keep my consumption to a minimum, maybe one or 2 servings a day.
#3 Old 04-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Banned

i thought we were gonna run out of wheat soon because of a blight problem?

like so: http://www.newscientist.com/article/...perblight.html

or is that not happening any more? i think i'd probably try and store it just incase, myself. then sell it later for an extortionate markup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page