Agave vs Sugar vs Natural Sugar?????? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I confused myself...lol

I know that the regular sugar we were buying is bad. Bad meaning probaly genetical modified and filtered through bone char...blek! So I know we don't want that one.

Natural cane sugar is better, made from sugar cane, not gm sugar beets and just more natural.

I bought Agave Nector yesterday. This is suposed to be better yet because it's natural and doesn't spike the sugar levels.

====>Here's the thing. I was reading my agave label this morning and it's 60 calaries per teaspoon whereas sugar I believe has something like 16 cals. I don't want to gain weight by using this..... so now what am I suposed to put in my coffee?...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Stevia or xylitol.
#3 Old 04-11-2010, 12:34 PM

Lots of beet sugar is GM free (and never bone-char processed). I wouldn't sweat the calories thing too much..I think you use less agave than you would sugar, since it tastes sweeter (and kinda gross, imo). I just got this fruit-syrup-sugar stuff from the hfs a couple weeks ago. IS says he thinks he tastes like honey.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-12-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

====>Here's the thing. I was reading my agave label this morning and it's 60 calaries per teaspoon whereas sugar I believe has something like 16 cals. I don't want to gain weight by using this..... so now what am I suposed to put in my coffee?...lol

I believe that's 60cal per TABLESPOON, not teaspoon... Double check the label for serving size.
#5 Old 04-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh yeah! I loveeeeee STEVIA!

I never even knew about Stevia until a few months ago when I found a box on clearance and decided to buy it, now I can't do without it!

It tastes nearly identical to sugar, is fully vegan AND has ZERO CALORIES!! (Yay!) Its also about 2-3 times sweeter than sugar, so you can use less..

I buy 'Stevia in the Raw' now.. and it lasts forever!

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#6 Old 04-12-2010, 07:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I have some stevia, maybe I'll give it another try. It seemed to have a weird after taste. I drink A LOT of coffee, so I don't need it to be high calarie.
#7 Old 04-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Learn to love black coffee. As for stevia, it seems to depend on the person whether it has an aftertaste or not. When I worked at the local HFS, I found about a quarter of people returned stevia complaining it tasted "metallic" or "like alcohol." It never tasted quite right to me (but then, I generally drink black coffee.)

You might try Xylitol, you should be able to find it where you get agave. You can also look for erythritol. Wholesome Sweeteners makes a "zero-cal" sweetner from it: Linky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page