VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   General Food Discussions (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/)
-   -   Agave vs Sugar vs Natural Sugar?????? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/112177-agave-vs-sugar-vs-natural-sugar.html)

Treehugger267 04-11-2010 11:05 AM

I confused myself...lol

I know that the regular sugar we were buying is bad. Bad meaning probaly genetical modified and filtered through bone char...blek! So I know we don't want that one.

Natural cane sugar is better, made from sugar cane, not gm sugar beets and just more natural.

I bought Agave Nector yesterday. This is suposed to be better yet because it's natural and doesn't spike the sugar levels.

====>Here's the thing. I was reading my agave label this morning and it's 60 calaries per teaspoon whereas sugar I believe has something like 16 cals. I don't want to gain weight by using this..... so now what am I suposed to put in my coffee?...lol

kuhliloach 04-11-2010 11:59 AM

Stevia or xylitol.

IamJen 04-11-2010 12:34 PM

Lots of beet sugar is GM free (and never bone-char processed). I wouldn't sweat the calories thing too much..I think you use less agave than you would sugar, since it tastes sweeter (and kinda gross, imo). I just got this fruit-syrup-sugar stuff from the hfs a couple weeks ago. IS says he thinks he tastes like honey.

GingerFoxx 04-12-2010 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

====>Here's the thing. I was reading my agave label this morning and it's 60 calaries per teaspoon whereas sugar I believe has something like 16 cals. I don't want to gain weight by using this..... so now what am I suposed to put in my coffee?...lol

I believe that's 60cal per TABLESPOON, not teaspoon... Double check the label for serving size.

Luxxi 04-12-2010 07:22 AM

Oh yeah! I loveeeeee STEVIA!

I never even knew about Stevia until a few months ago when I found a box on clearance and decided to buy it, now I can't do without it!

It tastes nearly identical to sugar, is fully vegan AND has ZERO CALORIES!! (Yay!) Its also about 2-3 times sweeter than sugar, so you can use less..

I buy 'Stevia in the Raw' now.. and it lasts forever!

Treehugger267 04-12-2010 07:28 AM

I have some stevia, maybe I'll give it another try. It seemed to have a weird after taste. I drink A LOT of coffee, so I don't need it to be high calarie.

Medesha 04-12-2010 10:32 AM

Learn to love black coffee. As for stevia, it seems to depend on the person whether it has an aftertaste or not. When I worked at the local HFS, I found about a quarter of people returned stevia complaining it tasted "metallic" or "like alcohol." It never tasted quite right to me (but then, I generally drink black coffee.)

You might try Xylitol, you should be able to find it where you get agave. You can also look for erythritol. Wholesome Sweeteners makes a "zero-cal" sweetner from it: Linky