Tofu aftertaste??? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-07-2010, 09:22 AM

I feel like I'm going crazy! I love tofu but I've noticed sometimes when I eat it I get this aftertaste after a few bites so strong it'll make me gag if I keep eating it. What's strange though is if I'm eating with other people they don't notice the aftertaste and it's only sometimes. I didn't put two and two together before but it seems like looking back it may be a brand related issue? It's not about preparation because this has even occurred when cooking the same dish. I hate this because I really like tofu and it's so versatile but now I have this like anxiety about buying any and trying to cook it only to find out it tastes terrible. Has anyone else ever experienced this?! Advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

If I had a problem with the aftertaste, i just wouldn't eat it at all. XD

That being said, maybe try some other brands to see if it is the brand that makes it have a weird aftertaste. I know several brands of nondairy milk leave a funny taste in my mouth, but i've found others that taste fine. You could also try seitan/ tempeh; they're both really versatile like tofu.
#3 Old 04-09-2010, 07:17 PM

Yeah, its frustrating because I like tofu! From what I remember when I stocked up on tofu from Trader Joes it didn't have any aftertaste however it's not very conveniently located (about 45 min away) so that's not a realistic option. And I've cooked with a few supermarket brands but hadn't payed much attention to what brands taste weird and now I'm hesitant to try them again. I've started making my own seitan lately and had some success with that. Tempeh has always freaked me out a little something about fermented soy beans... but I should try it. Thanks for the suggestions! I just feel like I'm going crazy because no one else seems to notice it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

I always buy organic, which also means non genectically modified soy. I can recall having a weird taste from one I bought some time ago, and all I remembered was it wasn't organic. I stick with House Foods Brand from an Asian grocery, but I know it's at the regular store, just costs more.

I do find the aftertaste in plain soymilk, though, but chocolate is delicious!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 04-09-2010, 10:14 PM

I have always hated milk....it gave me an awful taste and after taste....I get the same from tofu....so I hardly eat it at all...I have tried different brands including organic and still the same so I stay away.
#6 Old 04-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Just make sure it's SUPER-SUPER fresh!! That "aftertaste" is something I can taste in supermarket brands nearly all the time because they just are NOT fresh!! People who hve never had REALLY fresh tofu are AMAZED at the difference. I only get tofu fresh from the little Asian Market where they bring it in fresh every day and sell it in these bulk bins.. or the health food store where they also carry fresh, bulk tofu. I have a friend that makes it, she swears it's not that difficult, and her fresh-made tofu is AMAZING but I haven't tried making my own yet...

Look around and see if there are any Asian markets and if they carry tofu. Even if it's packaged, sometimes it will have a label on it that says where it's made and sometimes that tofu-factory is right there in town!! Trader Joes is about the freshest "store-bought" tofu I've run across, use that if you have no other options (and you don't taste the after-taste). It will freeze nicely (and takes on a whole different texture) if you have to buy it in large amounts.
#7 Old 04-20-2010, 07:51 PM

Yeah I was kind of starting to think it may have something to do with tofu overturn at supermarkets or maybe a brand thing. I'm scared to try to sample tofu from different places again because I'm worried I'll end up with a meal I won't eat. I wish I had an asian market around here, or a better health food store that sold tofu :-( The closest Trader Joes is about 35 miles away, but from what I remember whenever I've bought tofu there it didn't have an aftertaste. Oh well... maybe I'll give making my own tofu a try one of these days. Glad I'm not alone in noticing a weird taste from some tofu though.... I was starting to feel like I was going crazy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page