Cooking appliances - what do you have, which ones do you use the most? least? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

My very favorite, can't live without it, is my food processor.

Blender - once or twice a week

Coffeemaker - several times a day

Electric kettle - several times a day

Juicer - daily

Toaster - mostly daily

All of the above get counterspace and are always out.

Breadmaker - occasionally, does not get any countertop real estate

Crockpot - occasionally, does not get any countertop real estate

Electric fry pan - will get donated.

Deep fryer - will get donated

George Foreman grill - will get tossed, worn out. Will not be replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Stock pot, cast iron skillet, wok, sauce pan all get used on the regular. We also have a toemale (<I KNOW that's spelled wrong, but that's how it's pronounced), which is like a Mexican flat grill pan that we use for making tortillas.

We use our blender occasionally (once or twice a month, probably) and the only kitchen appliance we use on a daily basis is the coffeemaker. Our crockpot probably gets used 2-3 times a month.

Erm...we don't have many cooking appliances or pots and pans; the ones we do have do double duty. We don't have much counterspace and I'm loathe to give any of it up since I need it to chop stuff on.

What we don't have: A toaster, microwave, juicer, fryer, indoor grill, outdoor grill, breadmaker, or ice cream maker.
#3 Old 04-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Most used would be the coffee maker, toaster and probably regular old pots and pans. I use a blender only occasionally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I have just about every food appliance known to man except a rice cooker, deep fryer and crock pot [none of which I'd ever use]. I actually just bought a food mill today and aside from a ricer, it's the last convenient kitchen tool I'd still wanted.

The appliances/implements I use every day are my French press, kettle, blender, food processor, vegetable knife, refrigerator, pots and pans, and stove/oven.

My Vegan Food Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 04-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I love my magic bullet (mini blender), cast iron skillet, electric kettle, toaster oven, garlic press, and my big sharp chef's knife (indispensable!). I have a blender and food processor that I hardly ever use because compared to the magic bullet they are too hard to clean. I do not have a microwave
#6 Old 04-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

The coffeemaker is used daily, though not by me.

The microwave is used daily by my family, rarely by me.

The toaster is used a handful of times a week.

My animal-shapes waffle maker/regular waffle/sandwich maker is used once a month.

The panini press is used once a week, give or take.

The GIANT frying pan/skillet is used once a week, regular frying pans/skillets about 3 times a week.

All the other pots and pans are used daily.

The crockpot is used once a month.

That's all I can see or think of at the moment.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#7 Old 04-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Cast iron skillet, wicked sharp chef's knife, wicked sharp paring knife, palm peeler (amazing! Linky), and a 1 1/2 cup mini food processor.
#8 Old 04-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm.

Coffee maker--daily

Blender--almost daily (for smoothies)

Microwave--depends if I have frozen leftovers, if not, then rarely (by me)

Oven--never since I moved in in August

Toaster--less than 10 times per month

Stove--About as much as the microwave

Crock pot--given to me by my mother a month ago, haven't used it

And that's pretty much all I've got, appliance-wise.
#9 Old 04-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I admit to a small obsession with kitchen appliances, or as they're called in my family, "taco presses." I had to buy a set of shelves for them because they wouldn't fit in my tiny kitchen cabinets. Luckily, most have been gifts or hand-me-downs, so it's not an expensive obsession. I've got:

*blender (vitamix) - Used daily

*Rice/slow cooker - Gets used about twice a week. It's programmable, so it cooks rice or beans while I'm at work. Indispensable if you want to cook beans from dry.

*tiny 1.5 cup food processor - About twice a week

*cheap normal-sized food processor - once every two weeks, mostly for shredding

*toaster oven - twice a week

*vidalia chop wizard - about once a week

*normal waffle iron - about twice a year

*Belgian waffle iron - about 4 times a year

*juicer - about once every 2 weeks (started out as a lot more)

*ice cream maker - I'll tell you when it makes something other than a solid block of ice. Still learning the trick to it.

*mandolin slicers - These things are crap. I have two, different brands, thinking just the first one I bought was crap. They don't cut anything but zucchini or cucumbers, oh, and hands. They're good at slicing hands.
#10 Old 04-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Beginner

i use my coffeemaker at least once a day, toaster 3-5 times a week and i LOVE my immersion blender that I use a few times a week for smoothies, soup, or whatever, it's just so easy. I have a vegetable chopper thing that i like a lot and i probably use it once or twice a week but if i'm only chopping one or two vegetables i just do it by hand. i really want a small food processor but i don't have the counter space for it. oh and of course the microwave is used daily.
#11 Old 04-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

My newest addition is the Ninja Food Prep. I use both the blender for smoothies, and the other processor type attachment for chopping.

Microwave, coffee maker, two fav knives, cast iron pan, wok type skillet, stock pot, box grater

Not used so much but indispensible:

oxo good grips cookie scoop (not just for cookies)

silicon bread pan

juicer, mandolin slicer, magic bullet knockoff.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#12 Old 04-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know about appliances. Sure, I have them, but I think the things I use the most in my kitchen are: My bright pink cutting board and my little black handled serrated knives. I was given a set of knives for Christmas that were also serrated but I swear that they are possessed and do nothing that I want them to, so I don't use them.

Also have: a rice cooker (which I do use frequently and love as I eat a lot of rice), toaster (use a few times a week), blender (also use a few times a week mostly for smoothies or when I am in the mood for moong dal and want to blend it a little), Bodum Assam tea press (which I use fairly frequently), potato masher (which I mostly use for making refried beans)

Had a crock pot but never used it. I find beans pretty easy to cook without it and I don't know what else I would use it for...so I gave it to a guy at work for free who said he wished he had one.

Would like: Coffee grinder (to use for spices, not coffee), food processor, bread maker, soy milk maker
#13 Old 04-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Banned

Blender - use occasionally, mostly for making salsa

Magic Bullet - used quite a bit in the past

Blendtec blender - just got it last week and the above two blenders are about to get real lonely

Food processor - have had it for almost a year and I haven't used it yet

Quesadilla maker - used to use a lot when I ate cheese, but I haven't used it in years

Waffle maker - maybe 3-4 times per year

Rice cooker - only use it when I need to make larger quantities of rice, so maybe twice a year

Bread machine - I use it mostly to make pizza dough. I use it maybe every month or two

Microwave - only use for popping popcorn. I would rather pop it the old fashioned way, but I hate cleaning the oily mess (pot, stove, floor, etc)

Outdoor grill - gets used a lot in summer. It's great for throwing a veggie burger on at lunch. It cooks them quicker, doesn't smell up the house and less clean up.

And of course, I have a stove, which I use for heating up stuff

For all other household chores, I go all McGyver on them. I use a square of tin foil, some string, maybe a toothpick. And voila! I cooked a gourmet 5 course meal.
#14 Old 04-07-2010, 03:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Mini blender - virtually daily

Spice grinder - virtually daily

Coffee maker - daily

Microwave - a couple of times per week

Bread machine - once a week

I did buy a slow cooker, but was never impressed with the results, so I use it rarely.
#15 Old 04-07-2010, 05:08 AM
Veggie Regular

microwave-use several times a day for tea, reheating food

toaster over- almost daily

oven/stove- daily as well

pots/pans/knives- daily

coffeemaker- usually daily in the summer to make iced coffee

mini blender- usually daily in the summer for smoothies and iced coffee/tea

regular blender- only occasionally in the summer
#16 Old 04-07-2010, 05:56 AM
Veggie Regular

My dessert island kitchen appliance would have to be my immersion blender/mini food processor combo. This is one of the best, most used tools I ever owned.

Support your right to arm bears. ~Cleveland Amory
#17 Old 04-07-2010, 06:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Yesterday I used my crockpot for the first time in years. I don't know why I've ignored it for so long.
#18 Old 04-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Lately I haven't been cooking as much, but I'll go off my regular routine:

Toaster - Daily

Microwave - Daily

Oven/Stove/Pots and Pans - Daily

KitchenAid Stand Mixer - Maybe once a week

Food Processor - Couple times a month

Blender - Couple times a month

Hand Mixer - Once every 2 months. Ever since I got my Stand Mixer, I don't need it.

Crockpot - Have only used it twice in the few months I've had it.

Espresso Machine - Used to be everyday, but it just sits in my cabinet now.

Bread Machine - Broken
#19 Old 04-07-2010, 09:52 PM

1--vita mixx blender for homemade soups and smoothies soooo far...

2--ninja great for smoothies, salsa ect...

3--juicer....awesome for my wheat grass juice...juiced from my home-grown wheat grass.

4--magic bullet...smoothies salsa...ect

5--rice cooker....love that it has a white and brown rice setting.

6--bread machine....for awesome wheat bread and awesome pizza crust....wheat is my fave pizza crust too.

7--mr coffee, ms tea....well for coffee and tea

8--espresso, cappucino maker

9--cocomotion...for awesome homemade cocoa

10--grill...indoor and out....for veggies ect...

11--crock pot, pressure cooker, ron popeil stuff.

12--stove and microwave....I heart the microwave sooooo much...xoxo my microwave

13--silicone cook ware sheets and bake ware

14--plates, knives, toaster waffle maker

15--air popcorn popper

peace
#20 Old 04-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Banned

bread maker- great for pizza dough

juicer- never use it, was putting the fiber back in the glass so I just don't agree with the concept.

deep fryer-never use it- use a pot of oil on the stove

food processor- not alot- mock tuna- good with a chef's knife

coffee grinder- flax seeds only

toaster- mostly rye or sour dough

waffle iron- weekends

electric griddle- infrequent

crock pot- never use

popcorn popper- occasionally

blender- often

rice cooker- never

pressure cooker- most important thing- once or twice a week- legumes cooked this way taste amazing, saves a lot of time, and is energy efficient (green footprint).

Microwave- oatmeal most mornings

conventional oven- bake some- top often
#21 Old 04-08-2010, 07:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-anti-fur View Post

1--vita mixx blender for homemade soups and smoothies soooo far...

2--ninja great for smoothies, salsa ect...

3--juicer....awesome for my wheat grass juice...juiced from my home-grown wheat grass.

4--magic bullet...smoothies salsa...ect

5--rice cooker....love that it has a white and brown rice setting.

6--bread machine....for awesome wheat bread and awesome pizza crust....wheat is my fave pizza crust too.

7--mr coffee, ms tea....well for coffee and tea

8--espresso, cappucino maker

9--cocomotion...for awesome homemade cocoa

10--grill...indoor and out....for veggies ect...

11--crock pot, pressure cooker, ron popeil stuff.

12--stove and microwave....I heart the microwave sooooo much...xoxo my microwave

13--silicone cook ware sheets and bake ware

14--plates, knives, toaster waffle maker

15--air popcorn popper

peace

You have so many things I want!! Especially the vita mix, the juicer, and home grow wheat grass!!

Anyways,

I use my kettle about 4-5 times a day (serious green tea addiction) so it would be my favourite.

Blender - smoothies

Food Processor - hummus, dressings, baking, everything! (I hate it though because it is super small and I usually have to do everything in 2 batches)

Frying pans/pots

Stove

I could live without a toaster or a microwave
#22 Old 04-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Toaster oven I use at least once a day

Microwave at least once a day, to heat up cat food :P

Immersion Blender I use more days than not

Up until it got warm, I was using my crock pot at least once a week

I use my Kitchenaid mixer a few times a week to a few times a month depending on what I'm doing, same with my mini cuisinart food processor.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#23 Old 04-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I have to tell you that if I had money to burn, there would have every appliance there is in my kitchen. I am obsessed! I can spend a lot of time in the housewares section of any store. It's like Disneyland for me, but being poor, I have:

microwave- used daily

mixer-used about once monthly

sharp knife- daily

mini food processor-used daily

electric skillet- used very seldom, but kept anyway since it was my mom's

kettle-got it from the thrift store for 3 bucks-used daily

food processor-a dinosaur I found at the thrift store for 14 bucks. works like a charm-used at least twice weekly

RIP-George Foreman grill and blender-finally bit the dust but were used two or three times weekly

crock pot-used weekly
#24 Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Beginner

The things I use most often:

-Food processor. I sometimes go out of my way to use this.

-Stand mixer. I make bread about once a week along with some other baked good each week so there is usually one day where this is used heavily and then not again for the rest of the week.

-Toaster oven. I use this once every couple months, for toasting bread mostly (don't have a toaster).I should put this in the pantry as it taking up valuable counter space..

-Other appliances like the microwave, crockpot, and blender are rarely used and kept in the pantry.
#25 Old 04-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Well- mostly my electric stove. I use the burners on top mostly, but the oven gets a lot of use in the colder months, especially when I'm baking bread. I also have a blender, yogurt maker, toaster oven, crock pot slowcooker, and hot air cornpopper.

The yogurt maker doesn't get used at all since I dropped dairy. I use the blender to grind flaxseeds, but like somebody mentioned, it's not very good for this- some seeds don't get ground. When I make black bean soup, though, it's much nicer when I let it cool and then blend it instead of eating it chunky. I sometimes use the crockpot to cook beans, which could make a mess if they were to boil over on the stove, but I'm afraid to leave it on when I'm not in the house, so I guess that sort of defeats its purpose. I use my toaster oven for various small things when I don't want to fire up the full-size oven, and to toast my home-made bread.

When I grew popcorn in my garden, I used the cornpopper to pop it. I've also parched over-ripe sweet corn kernels that I didn't pick on time. It doesn't pop as big as proper popcorn, but it gets a nice crunchy texture and faintly sweet taste, like a boxed breakfast cereal.

At work I sometimes use a microwave in our kitchenette area to heat leftovers, but I don't have any desire for one at home.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#26 Old 04-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I only have 4 appliances: Coffee maker which I use it for tea every other day, magic bullet which I use almost daily, crock pot which I rarely use now, and a microwave which I use quite often, but not daily.

I really want a toaster oven so I don't have to use the big oven so much. Oh and a toaster would be nice too. I think I'm the only person I know who doesn't own a toaster. LOL
#27 Old 04-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

^^^ I don't have a toaster either! I used to, but I think my dense home-made bread gave it a hernia or something... Actually, I think it was just old.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#28 Old 04-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Whats with microwaves? I don't use it as much as when I was omni, I now mostly use fresh, but I still use it almost daily, even if just boiling water for tea or reheating.

To the people who don't use them: Is it that you feel they're bad? Or don't need them?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#29 Old 04-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
To the people who don't use them: Is it that you feel they're bad? Or don't need them?

1. I don't have the space for one (or at least space I'm willing to give up in my kitchen).

2. I think food tastes better reheated on the stovetop or in the oven.

3. I am not convinced that eating food that's been denatured by microwaves is very good for you. Unfortunately there haven't been a whole lot of studies into the effects of microwaved food on human health.

I don't really feel that I need a microwave at the house, but to be honest I do miss the convenience of being able to heat things up in them quickly. And I'm not totally adverse to using one - if I'm at the office and need to heat up my lunch, or pop some popcorn, I'll use the one they have there.
#30 Old 04-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

We have:

1. Stove/Oven I use 2-3+ times a day.

2. Coffee maker once a day

3. Blender 2-3 times a month (probably get rid of this when I get my HealthMaster!)

4. Food processor, mostly use the blender (this too)

5. Crockpot rarely

6. Popcorn air popper, once a month or so

7. BBQ lots in summer

Want:

Healthmaster Emulsifier

Waffle maker

Immersion Blender

Will never own:

*Microwave - we got rid of ours 4 years ago, haven't missed it. They are Terrible for your health & kill nutrients in food -link-

*Toaster - we get by just fine using our broiler, no need for a toaster.

*Breadmakers, stand mixers, & other misc small appliances. I don't have the want/need or counter space for them lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page