Need help re-creating some recipes at home - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Was chatting with my vegetarian cousin the other day about what she cooks. She is a more instinctive cook so she was very vague on processes and ingredient quantities and such, but some of her stuff sounded interesting. I need more detailed, step by step instructions and proper ingredient amounts. Can anyone help?

1) She called this 'Kentucky Fried Tofu' and I was interested since the crust did not seem to involve breadcrumbs, which I can't have. I remember her mentioning soy sauce, and some sort of mixture of flour (I am assuming I can use gluten-free flour) and nutritional yeast.

2) This was an Indian dish. It was potato and chickpeas in some sort of spicy tomato sauce. I wish they sold bottled Indian sauces like they do stir-fry sauces. It would be so easy to open a can of chickpeas, mix it with some potato chunks and add a bottled sauce...

Anyway, we did talk for some time about this, the problem is she does not use recipes and was very vague on how all of this got put together. If anyone can point me to some good recipes that are a ittle more straightforward, I would be grateful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Damn those naturally talented cooks. I can't go off recipe without things ending in disaster.

The second recipe sounds like it might be chana masala, which I really like:

http://www.choosy-beggars.com/index....chickpea-stew/

It's not too hard, there's just so many spices that it can seem intimidating. You can also find videos on Youtube. And make sure you squash up the tomatoes before adding the chickpeas.
#3 Old 04-03-2010, 02:06 AM
Veggie Regular

The recipe for Kentucky Fried Tofu is on these boards somewhere, but I couldn't find it when I did a quick search.

I found this using google (the recipe is further down the page) http://www.postpunkkitchen.com/forum...ic.php?id=9059

Let us know how it goes if you make it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

Damn those naturally talented cooks. I can't go off recipe without things ending in disaster.

The second recipe sounds like it might be chana masala, which I really like:

http://www.choosy-beggars.com/index....chickpea-stew/

It's not too hard, there's just so many spices that it can seem intimidating. You can also find videos on Youtube. And make sure you squash up the tomatoes before adding the chickpeas.

I thought it sounded like Chana masala too. You can buy already blended spice mixes for recipes like that if you don't want to have to stockpile the individual ones. http://store.indianfoodsco.com/groce...itemid=AJSPO70 This is one of the places I order from online. Their chana masala blend is out of stock atm but, from my experience with them, they generally get their products refilled fairly quickly. If you're really put off by the thought of making sauces from scratch, you can get pre-made cooking sauces either there or from another ethnic grocer online if you don't want to make your own. You just have to research different brands to see what's in them.

Support your right to arm bears. ~Cleveland Amory
#5 Old 04-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I KNEW the recipe was on these boards somewhere - just found it for you:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...?t=7842&page=2
#6 Old 04-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you!
#7 Old 04-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

^That coating for baked tofu with kettle chips sounds so good!

I can't follow recipes for nothing. Even when I have all the ingrediants, I can't bring myself to follow the directions. I've made things up that everyone loves, and even when I try and write down how I did it, while I still remember, I end up changing it. I've never made the same thing twice.

I'm wondering does anyone else have this problem?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#8 Old 04-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Silva

I'm the same, but then I always see recipes as a guide, rather than a specific instruction. Maybe you need to keep a notebook in your kitchen, jot down what you are adding (or not adding) and then you will know exactly what is in YOUR recipe!
#9 Old 04-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Just cooked Kentucky Fried Tofu: here's my recipe with photos:

http://v-foody.blogspot.com/2010/04/...ried-tofu.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page