Chinese Take Out Question - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Beginner

I was deciding what to get to eat last night and as I was looking at the Chinese menu, it occurred to me that the "vegetarian" section might not actually be vegetarian. I was wondering if they still use fish sauces and non-veg stocks their so called vegetarian dishes. Does anyone know? I'll be upset but I guess I can live without it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

You will have to ask that place. Chinese is something that I always double check and triple check.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#3 Old 03-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Beginner

I did google what is in brown sauce and it said that in almost every brown sauce oyster/fish sauce is used . I normally don't hesitate to ask but when it comes to asking at places such as these the people there don't seem to comprehend vegetarianism. (Hopefully that comment doesn't offend anyone, I didn't mean it in a bad way.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerise View Post

...when it comes to asking at places such as these the people there don't seem to comprehend vegetarianism. (Hopefully that comment doesn't offend anyone, I didn't mean it in a bad way.)

That's the truth! I don't even try any more with Chinese places unless I know for a FACT that they serve vegan foods (and I go with that it's corroborated on at least two or three different vegetarian/vegan websites that list vegetarian/vegan places to eat) because, like you, I feel if I ask I am likely to get somebody who thinks fish is just fine for vegetarians to eat and won't tell me if it's in the sauce, or they use some kind of animal stock in cooking the veggies. When in doubt, don't eat out. That's pretty much how I go with things.

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#5 Old 03-30-2010, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Instead of just asking if the dish is vegetarian I ask them to make the dishes without any fish sauce, chicken or meat broth, and meat in general. But I've also been pretty lucky with my local chinese places because most of them are very accommodating, knowledgeable and there's no ..language barrier.
#6 Old 03-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Banned

yeah, saying 'vegetarian' or 'vegan' is a recipe for misunderstanding. saying "no fish sauce, no chicken or beef stock- nothing thats meat or fish, or made from meat or fish" is more likely to be understood.
#7 Old 03-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Beginner

Well, if I ever decide to get chinese take out again I'll definitely ask about it.

One time I went to an italian restaurant and I started asking questions about their minestrone soup. Well, the guy had such a thick accent I couldn't understand what he was saying. And he just kept saying there's no meat, there's no meat. Just beans and vegetables. I kept asking what the base/stock was and he wouldn't tell me. It was so frustrating. So I just got a salad instead .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page