first time tofu - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-29-2010, 03:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, I've been a veg*n for a while and I tried to make tofu once when I first went veg*n and it was a disaster...so I never tried again. However, after reading the tofu thread on the vegan forum I vowed to try again! And today I made a stir-fry with extra firm tofu, and it turned out GREAT! I fried and seared the tofu in sesame oil to start with and set it aside...then I sauted my vegetables (I was going to do them together but my friend said do them separate - so the tofu won't break too much). Then I added the sauce and put the tofu back in there, simmered for 10 minutes...and served on rice. It turned out great!!! Mmmmm, I am converted tofu girl! I used to call tofu, to-fuuu!, now it's Yu-mieeee.

I should point out that I've used tofu in deserts, but never in a savoury dish. Well actually, I did make scrambled tofu once and that was good...but I was still afraid of the cubed tofu...not sure why...well no, I do know why...I was always afraid of the mushy centre, which I hate! Now I know how to not get that...you cube them small, and sear them well! Mmmmm! It was sooo good!

Now I have a question....I didn't marinate my tofu, as I didn't know what to marinate it in. Anyone know what I could marinate it in, for a thai dish? I made a thai stir-fry with green curry pasted and coconut milk. I didn't think soy sauce would work well in a thai dish. Am I wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-29-2010, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular

lime! or chillies/chilli paste

lemon grass would be great too, i guess
#3 Old 03-30-2010, 01:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Marinated tofu can be great! Although I probably wouldn't marinate it for a Thai dish, because the flavours in Thai are already very strong. There is an excellent recipe for tofu marinated with apricots in Veganomicon. You can try that and use it as a side dish with another meal.

God loved birds, he created trees.
Man loved birds, he created cages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-30-2010, 06:35 AM

^ I agree about the Thai pastes, just check the label carefully as some can contain fish.

I thought tofu was disgusting at first too. Now I love it. I usually just use garlic, soya sauce and sesame oil as a marinade but sometimes I dip it in soya milk and then cornflour and fry it and then dip it in sweet chili sauce.

I find if you use seasonings to rub on it and then bake it in the oven and keep going back and adding more seasoning it really gets a nice crispy texture and flavour.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page