Help me find Vegetarian Cheese Popcorn - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-23-2010, 11:24 PM

Hey all,

I've been searching for no-animal-enzyme cheese popcorn. Help me find a brand I can buy. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-24-2010, 03:01 AM
Banned

I like Teese Vegan Cheese .I eat it everyday ,I don't know whether this is what you want .You can check youself there . [edit] They are simply delicious and nutritious .
#3 Old 03-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Banned

why don't you buy normal popping corn (the do it yourself kind) and a shake-on cheese powder? i don't know about vegetarian cheeses, but i know there are some vegan parmesan-type ones available in a little can, or you could use nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-24-2010, 01:54 PM
fcp

If you are serious about your popcorn, you may want to forget the microwave and go back to the stove top.

There are pans out there with a mechanism to spin the corn and prevent burning (this is an example, shop around): http://www.amazon.com/Wabash-Valley-.../dp/B00004SU35

It allows you to control what's going into the popcorn: (oil, salt etc).

There are also a few options of Vegan parmesan like this one (exemple only, shop around): http://vivagranolaveganstore.com/cat...ranola.jpg.jpg

They don't really taste like real parmesan, but it's an option.

Make popcorn in medium heat, use 1 tablespoon of oil per 1/2 cup of corn. Adding a tablespoon of vinegar to the oil makes it cook faster. Pour salt and cheese while the popcorn is still very hot.
#5 Old 03-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I second Hoodedclawjen -- why not make your own? Its cheap and you know exactly what's in it!

That's what I do.. you can use parm cheese sprinkled on it, or if you're vegan nutritional yeast -- its very good!

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#6 Old 03-24-2010, 10:02 PM

That is okay, but I was wondering if they exist as a brand, prepackaged kind of thing.. Sometimes it gets exhausting having to make everything, and you just wish for a packet of stuff.
#7 Old 03-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't mind finding a veg*an version of it too. I'll nose around, and let you know if I find anything.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#8 Old 03-26-2010, 05:03 AM
Banned

Since the OP is vegetarian and not vegan, here's an option found at Whole Foods:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/prod...=0009948242874

And here's a cheddar cheese powder to put on your own popcorn:

http://www.shoporganic.com/product/f...s_and_toppings

It is easiest to find vegetarian-friendly cheeses is to use the keyword "organic". That doesn't guarantee you'll find cheeses made with microbal or vegetable enzymes, but it's usually a good indicator. Just check the ingredient list of the organic products that come up. They usually indicate what kind of enzymes are used.

Edit: Just wanted to add that last week I tried nutritional yeast on plain popcorn and it was very good. It gave it a cheesy-type essence.
#9 Old 03-28-2010, 05:42 PM

great ideas...and thankies for the whole foods heads up.

peace
#10 Old 03-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

i've heard you can pop your own and shake on nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor. i don't know if that'd be cheesy enough for you, though.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#11 Old 03-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

Since the OP is vegetarian and not vegan, here's an option found at Whole Foods:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/prod...=0009948242874

And here's a cheddar cheese powder to put on your own popcorn:

http://www.shoporganic.com/product/f...s_and_toppings

It is easiest to find vegetarian-friendly cheeses is to use the keyword "organic". That doesn't guarantee you'll find cheeses made with microbal or vegetable enzymes, but it's usually a good indicator. Just check the ingredient list of the organic products that come up. They usually indicate what kind of enzymes are used.

Edit: Just wanted to add that last week I tried nutritional yeast on plain popcorn and it was very good. It gave it a cheesy-type essence.

brilliant sleuthing that man.
#12 Old 03-28-2010, 09:10 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runes View Post

Sometimes it gets exhausting having to make everything, and you just wish for a packet of stuff.

Popcorn is about as easy to make as it's possible for anything to be. Just put a little popcorn in a brown paper lunch bag, stick it in the microwave just like with the prepackaged stuff, and then shake on some cheese flavoring or nutritional yeast.

Personally, we prefer the taste of the old fashioned stove top method, which only takes a couple of minutes, but if you want to use the microwave, you really don't need the prepackaged stuff, which is expensive and has additives.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page