So I made a cultured cashew cheese - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-16-2010, 06:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I used Pro-flora brand probiotic enzymes, (6 ground up tablets) 2 tablespoons of water, and two cups raw cashews pureed in the food processor till very smooth, and let it drain, weighted with a gallon jug of water, wrapped in cheesecloth in a stainer over a bowl for 24 hours. Then I added salt, onion powder, and nutritional yeast and chilled it. The probiotics gives it a lovely tang.

Oh my.

Well worth the effort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been wanting to try that for a long time! Do you have any pictures?
#3 Old 03-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I'll try to remember to take a picture of it before I eat all of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

recipe?
#5 Old 03-22-2010, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

bump

anyone have a recipe for this?
#6 Old 03-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Details! I need details! Where do you get the enzymes and may we please have the recipe?
#7 Old 03-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

here's one without enzymes that's pretty good http://chocolateandzucchini.com/arch...hew_cheese.php
#8 Old 03-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds pretty easy. Thanks!
#9 Old 03-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I LOVE this type of cashew cheese! I'm so glad someone else is hooked too!

The best part is that if you do it right, it really doesn't go bad - at least not as fast as everything else in my fridge. 1 day makes cream cheese, 2 days is more of a light cheddar ... all the way almost to feta! As long as you plan your meals around how long the cashew cheese has been in your fridge, you can eat cheezy things for a loooong time.

(That sounded kinda gross. It's not. )
#10 Old 03-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Doesn't sound gross at all. I'm excited to try this.
#11 Old 03-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Veggie Regular

This one sounds (and looks) pretty good. And easy. CASHEW CHEESE

Doesn't have those probiotics though.
#12 Old 03-23-2010, 04:42 AM
Veggie Regular

2 cups raw cashews soaked covered in water overnight.

6 tablets Pro-Flora tablets crushed into powder, or empty six capsules (I bought at health food store, it's expensive, around 30 bucks for 30 tablets)

1 tablespoon nutritional yeast

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 teaspoon sea salt

A couple of grinds of nutmeg

Drain the cashews after soaking. In two tablespoons of water, dissolved the probiotics powder into a slurry. Put the cashews in a food processor along with the probiotics and blend until very very smooth. Put a strainer into a large bowl and line with dampened cheesecloth (triple layered). Spoon in cheese and cover with overlapped cheesecloth. Put a weight on top, I use a gallon bottle of water that sits right in the strainer on top of the cheese. Let it sit and drain for 24 hours in a slightly warmish spot. Unwrap and put into bowl and stir in rest of ingredients. Taste for salt and add in a bit more if necessary. Spoon out onto plastic wrap and wrap tightly as a log and refrigerate for 24 hours. After thoroughly chilled, roll log in dried parsley.

It's gorgeous and will give you a happy.
#13 Old 03-23-2010, 05:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Woot! Cheese fest coming this weekend!
#14 Old 03-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm curious why it's okay to leave the food out for a day (or two) without refrigeration. Why doesn't it cause food poisoning?

The recipe I posted came from Real Food Daily and says to leave it out for a day or 2, before putting it in the fridge. I always leave it out for one.
#15 Old 03-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoo View Post

2 cups raw cashews soaked covered in water overnight.

6 tablets Pro-Flora tablets crushed into powder, or empty six capsules (I bought at health food store, it's expensive, around 30 bucks for 30 tablets)

1 tablespoon nutritional yeast

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 teaspoon sea salt

A couple of grinds of nutmeg

Drain the cashews after soaking. In two tablespoons of water, dissolved the probiotics powder into a slurry. Put the cashews in a food processor along with the probiotics and blend until very very smooth. Put a strainer into a large bowl and line with dampened cheesecloth (triple layered). Spoon in cheese and cover with overlapped cheesecloth. Put a weight on top, I use a gallon bottle of water that sits right in the strainer on top of the cheese. Let it sit and drain for 24 hours in a slightly warmish spot. Unwrap and put into bowl and stir in rest of ingredients. Taste for salt and add in a bit more if necessary. Spoon out onto plastic wrap and wrap tightly as a log and refrigerate for 24 hours. After thoroughly chilled, roll log in dried parsley.

It's gorgeous and will give you a happy.

Thanks for posting!
#16 Old 03-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

In the case of using probiotics, the enzyme doesn't activate unless it's warm. Your utensils should be scrupulously clean.

Have you ever made yogurt? It's kept out and warm-ish for a few days, my guess would be that the enzymes prohibit bacterial growth. I haven't had a batch of cashew cheese go bad on me yet.
#17 Old 03-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

For those of you who wanted a picture:

#18 Old 03-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm this is an intriguing recipe. I don't have a food processor, but I wish I did just because some of these items sound so interesting. As for cashew cheese, I can't even fathom what it would taste like, so of course I'm curious!
#19 Old 03-23-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoo View Post

For those of you who wanted a picture

Looks intriguing, but judging from the ingredients, it also looks expensive. Cashews and probiotics aren't cheap...
#20 Old 03-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

You can save a bit of money on the probiotics if you use a few tablespoons of your first batch of cheese to start the next. That's the old fashioned way of making any sort of cultured food product.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#21 Old 03-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I did a bit of googling before Katoo posted her recipe and found one that said miso would work if you couldn't find the probiotics. Does that seem plausible to you guys?

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#22 Old 03-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

I did a bit of googling before Katoo posted her recipe and found one that said miso would work if you couldn't find the probiotics. Does that seem plausible to you guys?

I dunno, I'd probably give it a shot. I'm certainly going to try using a tablespoon of the last batch as a starter for my next batch. I used to do that when I made yogurt.

And yeah, it's pricey, but not as pricey as all the money I've spent on fake cheese that I tasted and tossed. Also not as pricey as the delicious yet tiny little ball of Dr. Cow which is very good and is what set me in search of making something similar. What I've found is that the probiotics give the cheese the right kind of "tang", and the cashews give the creamy texture of a good cheese.
#23 Old 03-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I started this recipe yesterday, but I have a question. It says to wrap in cheesecloth and set a heavy weight on top, put in a strainer and allow to drain. Well I allowed it to drain for almost 30 hours, and nothing at all drained out. The pot below the strainer is completely dry. Katoo, did yours actually drain liquid out? What was the texture when you removed the cheesecloth? Mine didn't seem much different than when I put it in there. Should it have drained and become drier? I put a pretty heavy weight (a large container for storing flour, but filled with water).

Anyway it's rolled into a log in the fridge now. I'll let everyone know tomorrow how it worked out!
#24 Old 03-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I soooooo want to make this! Hubby & I take probiotics every day anyway, so we have some I could use. I'm sure it doesn't matter which you use, right??

Looks delish and I'd love to get away from Dairy cheese.
#25 Old 03-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, mine only drained about a tablespoon or so of liquid. I think what is actually happening is the probiotics are culturing. Mine always feels like thick cream cheese at first. It firms up in the fridge more and more over a number of days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page