Ener-G egg replacer - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

The box says that it works best with homemade stuff, but most of the time I'm too lazy to do brownies or cake from scratch.

I tried it in a brownie mix last night, and the end result wasn't pretty. Tasty, but not pretty. (They didn't rise, which caused a lot of the oil to go to the top, and....well...they deep fried themselves.)

Does anyone know what box brands (U.S.) work best with the stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Not exactly an answer to your question but here's a tip for future use with any egg replacer. Use a whisk and aerate the dry ingredients first really well. It helps to add a lightness to your batter and subsequent baked goods.

My Vegan Food Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 03-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Banned

Not what you are asking but there are great vegan brownie recipes that don't call for egg re-placer products. Next time you have the time to make brownies from scratch you may want to give this a try: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=6640.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I find pureed fruit is the best egg replacer in baked goods, bananas are my favorite in brownies. Applesauce is a good one, you won't taste it at all. Pureed silken tofu also works really well, or soy yogurt... Anyway, yeah, I love to get a good chocolatey brownie mix and mash up a banana in it. Mmm instant heaven.
#5 Old 03-13-2010, 04:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanfish View Post

I find pureed fruit is the best egg replacer in baked goods, bananas are my favorite in brownies. Applesauce is a good one, you won't taste it at all. Pureed silken tofu also works really well, or soy yogurt... Anyway, yeah, I love to get a good chocolatey brownie mix and mash up a banana in it. Mmm instant heaven.

Same here. I always use mashed bananas as egg replacers for most baked goods especially brownies. Canned pumpkin also works well with cake mixes.
#6 Old 03-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know what brands will work the best but I think I read somewhere that if you're using egg replacer you have to increase the liquid in your recipe, so maybe you could try that next time?
#7 Old 03-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, for some reason, Ener-G doesn't work with the boxed stuff. Works great in bread though. Sorry, can't help you. I wonder if flax would work.
#8 Old 03-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Not what you are asking but there are great vegan brownie recipes that don't call for egg re-placer products. Next time you have the time to make brownies from scratch you may want to give this a try: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=6640.0

Thank you for posting this link, Mr. Falafel. What a strange recipe, with that (ummm, gross) glue making step. But it smells so good! I can't wait to try them. I have a day off and a chocoholic on the way over to help me eat them.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#9 Old 03-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I use applesauce in my brownies. But I've successfully used egg-replacer in recipes that normally call for egg and it works well. Its important to mix it up real well and let it sit for minute... its what I do anyway.

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page