Vegan meals an omni will like? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

My bf admitted today that he's really not enjoying most of the new recipes I've been trying. I'm glad he told me, plus he took me out and bought me a new cookbook so he's forgiven. LOL He really has been great about the whole thing. I used to cook meat at pretty much every meal and then over a month or 2 slowly went completely vegetarian and now leaning more towards a vegan diet. He never complains that there's no meat. I think it's just too much of a change for him. To many new foods. Too many new flavors. I think he wants safe and comfortable.

I'm going to try the chickpea cutlets with mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy from veganomicon, but then I think I'm going to give that book a break since most of the stuff in there is stuff he's not familiar with.

We already do stuff like chili and spaghetti and lentil soup. But it's SO boring. I don't do much soy because it doesn't agree with me. He doesn't like lentil loaf or black bean burgers. Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I've found stir fry with seitan and things along those lines are a hit with non-Vegans. I think the expectations are different. If you try and do the good old fashion [non] meat and potatoes there is an expectation there that I don't think there is if you totally move away from that formula. A veggie burger or lentil loaf is not going to come near tasting what a meat version of those products do. I try and stay away from things that simulate something else as an attempt at a direct replacement in the meal when cooking Vegan for non-Vegans. I go way out to the fringe because it takes away the expectation as they don't know what to expect from a far out dish.

Vegetarian since February 12, 2007
Vegan since October 7, 2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 03-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Banned

your bf sounds like a nice guy, good for him for communicating effectively!

here are some ideas, i have recipes for all if you want to try any.

soups: potato, split pea, vegetable, navy bean(white bean), tortilla, minestrone

mexican food: bean and rice burrito, fajitas, tacos (i use spicy potato for filling), tostadas

curries are pretty easy and familiar to omnis too, i like using green or red curry pastes instead of the more common yellow mixes, so easy with any veggies and a can of coconut milk over rice or noodles. also making your own curry paste is fun and rewarding

more comfort foods: veggie pot pie or hand pies, cornbread, stuffing/dressing, pasta salad, potato salad, coleslaw, garlic bread

any chance of getting bf in the kitchen with you?

my bf was omni until a few months ago, i cooked meat for a few years for him, he refused to eat vegan foods (but not in a mean way just didn't think he liked it). then i taught and encouraged him to cook his own meat if he wanted to eat meat, which was good but still smelled and yucked up the kitchen. then we had financial road bumps and could not afford to buy dead animals for his pleasure and he started eating vegetarian at home. now we are finally to the point where i don't have to cook animal products for him, he does it on his own, if he wants a grilled cheese he makes it now! shopping together helps a lot too, bc i really did not like picking out cheeses (bad for my addiction to it...) and he gets exactly what he wants.

the recipes above are what we have found he enjoys with out 'missing' something like cheese or chicken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I am having the same problem. I thought my husband was liking some of the recipes, but not really. Except, of course, the vegan chocolate cake.

I have nothing to offer you, but I will be watching this thread to get pointers too.
#5 Old 03-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Couscous and vegetables!

A large salad with avocado and citrus.

Every omni is different, just as every vegan is different. I eat VERY differently from the average vegan.
#6 Old 03-08-2010, 05:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Does your bf like Asian food? I think vegan asian food (Japanese, Thai, Indian) is the best.
#7 Old 03-08-2010, 05:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I always make vegan spaghetti for the omnis. I haven't had anyone be able to tell the difference yet.
#8 Old 03-08-2010, 05:42 AM
Banned

My mum is a meat-and-potatoes kind of eater, and her favourite vegan dishes that I cook are Thai green curry with cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, spaghetti with soya mince and Ragu sauce, salt and pepper chilli tofu, vegetable risotto, and spicy potatoes and cabbage.
#9 Old 03-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it would be helpful if you told us what type of food he misses.
#10 Old 03-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

I think it would be helpful if you told us what type of food he misses.

I think mostly meat, a veggie, and a side. Like chicken, broccoli, and pasta. The veggie and side are easy to replace. It's harder to replace meat.
#11 Old 03-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

fried "chicken" - slice a pound of tofu into 10 equal parts. Put 2 T oil in a lg frying pan, put in the tofu, and cook on medium while you sprinkle with salt, pepper, vegetarian chicken broth powder and nutritional yeast. Flip, sprinkle other side and cook until nicely browned. Flip and cook other side until browned. Takes about 5 minutes each side. Make gravy out of what's left in the pan when you are done plus more veg chicken broth powder. (I like the powder in the bulk section at Whole Foods best)

Sausage Tofurky brand apple sausages for cookouts, or to saute. Italian is best on pizza.

"Pork" chopshttp://www.thevegancookbook.com/2009...pork-chop.html (I haven't tried this one yet)

Vegan Filet Mignonhttp://www.chow.com/recipes/13559

meatballs - Nate's mushroom flavored meatless meatballs are wonderful!
#12 Old 03-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a chilli recipe somewhere that all the meat-eaters I know LOVE and have said that they don't notice the lack of meat because it's 'meaty' for someting vegan lol.

My boyfriend isn't a big meat eater and he's trying to slowly work towards atleast being vegetarian. He loves vegan burgers, I'll check what brand they are next time I buy them, and Fry's chicken nuggets, which are vegan as well. He also likes lentil stew with vegan dumplings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page