Seitan vs. Quorn? Help! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

If my recipe calls for seitan, and all I have is Quorn, does that substitute fairly well? I'm having company tonight and I don't really want to experiment too much on the recipe in case it goes horribly wrong. Should I make any changes to accomodate for the substitution? ... or just try and see if the store has gotten some seitan in since I was there the other day? (I'm making dinner for a bunch of omnivores tonight and don't want to give them any room to say that veg food isn't very good) Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Banned

What recipe are you using?

The big difference is Quorn is usually sold as a prepared item (ie chicken fillets etc) whereas seitan can be sold as semi prepared item. Each will need to prepared differently depending on what you are making.

Its also worth noting that Quorn isn't vegan, if that's an issue.
#3 Old 02-28-2010, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

It's this recipe, though I intend to use different herbs: (from Vegweb)

1 lb. package of chicken-style seitan, drained

6 tablespoon soy margarine

2 tablespoon olive oil

2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crushed

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon dried sage

3 cloves garlic, finely chopped

Directions:

Grease a 9 X 13 pan with 1 tbsp olive oil. Preheat oven to 350. Arrange the seitan pieces in the bottom of the dish.

In a small saucepan, heat remaining olive oil and add margarine to melt. Once melted, add the garlic, rosemary, sage and thyme. Allow to simmer for a few minutes.

Pour the melted magarine mixture over the seitan pieces and bake for 20 minutes, turning once.

Serves: 2

Preparation time: 25 minutes

The Quorn I bought is just the chik'n tenders, which don't appear to have any kind of seasoning. I don't tend to use the meat alternatives, so I'm not really familiar with the technical differences between them. My omni parents like them, though, because it makes them feel like they've eaten a more substantial meal.

It's a middle ground I'm willing to take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Banned

I think it would be fine.
#5 Old 02-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Banned

Agreed. No problem at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page