Quick Q about freezing tofu... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

So, since I'm not the hugest fan of the texture of tofu, I thought I'd try the freezing/thawing trick that I read about on this board to change the texture in case I liked it better that way.

So two days ago, I sliced my tofu up, wrapped it, and froze it. I looked at today, and it's ALL BROWN! Is this supposed to happen, or have I somehow ruined my tofu?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never had that happen to me, but I've never drained and pre-sliced it. I always just toss the entire package unopened, water and all, into the freezer. Sounds almost like an oxidation happened.

My Vegan Food Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 02-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I sliced it up because some people mentioned that they did it that way, and since I'm only one person, I thought it would be nice to be able to pull out a slice when I wanted to make a small tofu dish instead of a whole block of the stuff. Do you think it'll be fine for eating in spite of the oxidation, or should I bin it? I'm hoping it'll still be good... I'm on a poor college kid budget here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I would try rethawing it to see what happens. Mine turned yellow last time I froze some but when I thawed it, it went back to white and tasted fine.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#5 Old 02-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't imagine if the tofu wasn't past its expiration date and was simply sliced and frozen directly that it would be dodgy. I honestly don't know what to tell you. Perhaps others have sliced it and will pop into the thread and aver that it's normal for it to brown up.

My Vegan Food Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 02-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, guys. I'll try thawing a slice or two for dinner either today or tomorrow and see what happens... thanks!
#7 Old 02-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Smell it and see. It should have a mild, not strong and sour, scent. I've seen frozen tofu get yellow before.
#8 Old 02-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Beginner

I never slice it first, but just about always it turns yellow when frozen... back to normal when thawed. Bad tofu smells horrible... look a marathon runners armpit after a race... so if it doesn't stink badly when ya thaw it, i'd assume it's just cosmetic.
#9 Old 02-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Banned

ok now 'brown' is a visual perception thing.... mine goes a sort of yucky yellowy beige colour like tobacco stained cream wallpaper, but not brown like chocolate. how brown is your tofu exactly?
#10 Old 02-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

^ haha. My fridge accidentally froze some tofu once when it got too cold (my fridge enjoys changing temperatures on me). I think it was only partially frozen, but it looked like it had been stained with coffee or something (my interesting description of color) so I got all scared and threw it away. Pity though if it was still good to eat and didn't taste funky.
#11 Old 02-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiejones View Post

^ haha. My fridge accidentally froze some tofu once when it got too cold (my fridge enjoys changing temperatures on me). I think it was only partially frozen, but it looked like it had been stained with coffee or something (my interesting description of color) so I got all scared and threw it away. Pity though if it was still good to eat and didn't taste funky.

awwwww. yeah, i've had half a block of tofu freeze in the top of my fridge too. very weird. never mind- next time you know you're good.
#12 Old 02-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah it's probably fine. I always drain and slice my tofu before freezing and it turns yellow but goes back to normal after being thawed.
#13 Old 02-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Mine has turned a dark-yellow-tea-stained "brown"...and it is fine. Totally. I really think it depends on the brand. Some stay all ivory white and others change. Weird, and I have no idea why...
#14 Old 02-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

maybe that what happens when tofu partially freezes? I'm wondering this because after reading a couple of responses about tofu turning yellow, I opened up my freezer and looked at it, and lo and behold! now it is yellow! But I am 100% positive that it was brown before, so maybe that was before it finished freezing? no idea! Anyway, my tofu is perfectly fine and safe to eat, so YAY!!!!!!!!! (I'm having a tofu sandwich for lunch tomorrow. Yummy yummy :-))

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page