VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   General Food Discussions (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/)
-   -   seitan (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/110162-seitan.html)

longway 02-17-2010 05:43 AM

hi,

i have a question about seitan. i know usually its made of whey but can you also buy seitan made of spelt or another kind of corn?

and a further question is how much healthy is seitan anyway?

i mean its "only" protein of flour. and not comparable with protein of meat because you should eat it also with for instance lentils to supplement protein.

i dont know, which flour one normally use for making seitan? white flour or also whole grain?

cause i thought whey isnt the best flour you should eat and by making seitan you water flour and pour fat and carbs and probably viatmins of it away.

wouldnt it be better to eat a bread made of spelt (and sunflower seeds or other seeds) instead of eating seitan made of white whey flour?

thanks!

MrFalafel 02-17-2010 06:14 AM

Seitan is made from wheat flour, not whey. Whey is a by product of the dairy industry.

Seitan is the 'gluten' from wheat flour that has had all starch removed from it. It is extremely high in protein. As you have rinsed all of the starch out of the wheat as part of the seitan making process there are very little 'carbs' let in it.

Lots of info here on seitan and some great recipes: http://www.ellenskitchen.com/recipeb...ies.html#about

Mufflon 02-17-2010 06:18 AM

Be careful with whey and wheat. Whey is "Molke".

rabid_child 02-17-2010 06:26 AM

Seitan is made from high gluten wheat flour. It is dairy free. It is just a big ball of gluten (protein), really. It is not bread. It won't work with spelt or corn because spelt is lower in gluten and corn is gluten free. If you make it with vital wheat gluten you're not wasting anything since you don't have to wash the starch out - it's already been separated.

longway 02-17-2010 10:28 AM

oh sorry !!

i didnt mean whey but wheat of course !! my fault thanks mufflon ^^

"It is not bread. It won't work with spelt or corn because spelt is lower in gluten and corn is gluten free. "

mmh this makes sense! but i thought that spelt flour also have as much gluten as wheAT ?

oat flakes, rice, millet, ect are sans gluten i know.

whats about rye flour, does it too have less gluten?

Belisarius 02-17-2010 11:27 AM

Does Seitan actually have much nutritional value / benefit beyond being high in protein?

rabid_child 02-17-2010 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longway View Post

oh sorry !!

i didnt mean whey but wheat of course !! my fault thanks mufflon ^^

"It is not bread. It won't work with spelt or corn because spelt is lower in gluten and corn is gluten free. "

mmh this makes sense! but i thought that spelt flour also have as much gluten as wheAT ?

oat flakes, rice, millet, ect are sans gluten i know.

whats about rye flour, does it too have less gluten?

Spelt is lower gluten than wheat, though not gluten free. I don't know anything about Rye, really...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belisarius View Post

Does Seitan actually have much nutritional value / benefit beyond being high in protein?

Depends on what you put in it. Vital wheat gluten is essentially just protein, but seitan with just VWG + Water isn't very good. You typically put in other things, like nutritional yeast and sometimes chickpea flour or tofu... but its primary purpose nutritionally is just protein -- and a whole lot of it in not a lot of food volume!

longway 02-20-2010 08:10 AM

ok, thank you all

Mufflon 02-20-2010 08:19 AM

You can get vital wheat gluten (Gluten) at veganwonderland.de at a good price. Never seen it in supermarkets or Reformhäusern or Bioläden so far.

longway 02-21-2010 04:58 AM

thank you, thats a good site

New England Vegan 02-21-2010 05:08 AM

I love Seitan.

longway 02-21-2010 11:52 AM

i already have tried to make my own seitan with white flour and it tasted very good. but its much effort... and cause of the fact that you use white flour i wasnt sure any more if it would be much healthy. so my thought whether you also could use another flour, for instance spelt flour. but rabit-child said that it hasnt enough gluten. and even if it would have enough, i think i would wash out much vitamins.. ? so the next thought if it wouldnt be the best to eat a simple bread made of spelt flour.. but if we have the opportunity to eat tasty seitan why we shouldnt

what i also like very much are spelt-burgers. they are delicious but havent anything to do with seitan

fcp 03-29-2010 10:09 AM

Good folks, my Seitan is pretty decent; I use Vital Gluten (instead of kneading/rinsing flour) and season the dough with Garlic powder, onion powder, Paprika, Molasses, Aminos, salt and pepper. I makes a good balance.

I haven't yet figured out how to "pull it" or give it the pulled "pork" texture we find in some commercial brands. The cuts with the knife are too clean and don't allow the Seitan to hold the sauce; it also gets slippery and falls from the sandwich all over the plate.

It seems to be too elastic to allow me to pull and shred with a fork.

Do you folks know a way?