Vegan Pączki Recipe Needed! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh my God, I just realized that tomorrow is Fat Tuesday! That means Pączki, but I'm a vegan now. I just did a quick search and there are absolutely no vegan Pączki recipes online. Makes sense, since they're a very heavy egg filled doughnut...

How you would veganize something like this? Here are a couple of recipes I found:

http://www.grouprecipes.com/18995/pa...doughnuts.html

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...zki61786.shtml

I figure I would do something with silken tofu to make a custard filling (since I always preferred the custard filling to the jelly ) but what would you do about the doughnut itself?

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

It just occurred to me that the thread title would be more descriptive if it were "Vegan Pączki Recipe Needed" or something along those lines. If a mod sees this, could you please change it for me?

#3 Old 02-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

To this recipe I would add 1 or 2 teaspoons of liquid lecithin, to help emulsify and give a golden color:

Ingredients:

1/2 cup lukewarm soy milk

1/4 cup cup sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1 packages of yeast (plus 1/4 cup lukewarm water and 1 teaspoon sugar)

Egg replacer for 1 egg

1/4 cup vegetable shortening

3 to 3.5 cups flour

Instructions:

Stir together the soy milk, sugar, and salt.

Prepare the yeast, adding the packet to lukewarm water (100 to 110 degrees F) with some sugar to get the yeast all bubbled up and excited. Once you're sure the yeast is alive and well, stir it into the above mixture until all the yeast is dissolved.

Add in the egg replacer and vegetable shortening.

Add in the flour slowly, a half cup or so at a time so your mixer doesnt kick a ton of flour up into the air and make a mess.

After the flour is all mixed in, remove the dough from your mixer and knead it. Place it into a greased bowl in a warm spot and cover with a warm, damp (clean) kitchen towel. Allow it to rise until it has doubled in size (about an hour to an hour and a half). Punch the dough down and turn completely over in the bowl. Let rise again until almost double (30 to 45 minutes this time), then remove from the bowl and roll out to about 1/3" thick.

You can now either cut the donuts with a donut cutter as in the recipe below or you can make crullers.

To make crullers, roll the dough into tubes, twist, and then shape into donut shapes. With a pair of scissors, make snips ever 1/2 inch or so to get a spiky shape going.

After you've shaped your donuts, allow them to rise on your counter or a board until theyre light and have a slight crust on the dough (about 30 minutes).

While they're rising, fill deep sauce pot with several inches of canola or other vegetable oil (enough for a doughnut to drop to the bottom then rise to the top) or get your deep fryer going. Once the oil has reached 370 to 380 degrees, drop a few donuts in at a time and fry until both sides are golden brown (you will have to flip them with a slotted spoon to get both sides). Monitor the oil temperature carefully.

Once the donuts are fried, lay them out on a paper bag to drain. You can either shake these in a bag with some granulated sugar or you can prepare and easy glaze by boiling a cup of water with a cup of sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla until somewhat thickened. Coat each donut in this glaze. Best thing ever.

From http://brazenvegan.blogspot.com/2007...-crullers.html

www.thesaucyvegan.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

That looks like it would work. Thanks for the help!

Two questions:

Where would I find liquid lecithin?

How would I shape the donuts if I wanted to be able to fill them? Would I just make them oval shaped?

(I've never made my own donuts before...)

#5 Old 02-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

You can get the lecithin at a health food store, or at a better quality grocery store that has a natural foods and supplements section.

I have cookie cutters that make large round shapes, that are nice for making biscuits from rolled dough. If you don't have a cookie cutter, cut both ends from a can, like a can of green beans, and use that. Or a large round glass. Then coax them into ovals with your hands. Dip your cutter into flour before each cut so the dough doesn't stick.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#6 Old 02-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool, thanks! I'll give this a shot tomorrow!

#7 Old 02-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Have fun!

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#8 Old 02-18-2010, 12:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm curious if these turned out?
#9 Old 02-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempeh-Tantrums View Post

I'm curious if these turned out?

The week got freakin' busy for me Tuesday and has been ever since, so I didn't try them yet. But since I'm not actually Catholic, I'll just observe Fat Tuesday this weekend.

#10 Old 02-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure how to completely veganize these, but the cookbook, "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World" has a Boston Creme cupcake with a custard filling in it I bet would work.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#11 Old 02-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

The Pączki turned out great! I ended up using the custard filling from this recipe.

Samedi Gras was a success.

Thanks again for the recipe, SE.

#12 Old 02-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

That sounds wonderful. Take a picture and upload it to VB.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page