silken tofu - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-12-2010, 03:34 PM

Apparently, I need "silken tofu" to make a veggie sour cream. What is it and where do I get it? I checked two grocery stores last night and couldn't find it in the refrigerated section with the other tofus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Silken tofu has a different consistency than your regular firm or extra firm tofu. Most places I have seen that carry one, carry the other. Soft tofu might work, if you can find that. Silken has a custard-y sort of consistency, which is why it is the best choice for desserts like veg*n cheesecakes, mousses etc or dips and other creamy foods.
#3 Old 02-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Beginner

Silken tofu is packaged in aseptic, cardboard/cardstock-esque, square cartons that are a little bigger than a juice box. In most grocery stores in the US it can be found in the "Asian" sections, as it does not require refrigeration. I've also found it in baking aisles before. If you are having trouble locating it a store employee should be able to help you. They may give you a funny look, but personally ... I enjoy those moments!

The consistency of silken tofu is achieved by not draining as much water. Between the aseptic packing process, and the fact that you're buying basically water, soybeans, and sodium - the stuff keeps for quite a while. That said, make sure to check the date on the package because depending on the veg* population density of where you live it might have been sitting on the shelves for a while. It does not smell good when it goes bad and will put you off towards it!

@Gingerfoxx: Lateralus. Mmmm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo_zero View Post

Silken tofu is packaged in aseptic, cardboard/cardstock-esque, square cartons that are a little bigger than a juice box. In most grocery stores in the US it can be found in the "Asian" sections, as it does not require refrigeration. I've also found it in baking aisles before. If you are having trouble locating it a store employee should be able to help you. They may give you a funny look, but personally ... I enjoy those moments!

The consistency of silken tofu is achieved by not draining as much water. Between the aseptic packing process, and the fact that you're buying basically water, soybeans, and sodium - the stuff keeps for quite a while. That said, make sure to check the date on the package because depending on the veg* population density of where you live it might have been sitting on the shelves for a while. It does not smell good when it goes bad and will put you off towards it!

@Gingerfoxx: Lateralus. Mmmm!

I have always purchased it in the refrigerated section, which I would prefer because it is fresher, but it depends what is available to you

@Halo_Zero: Maynard = <3
#5 Old 02-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggyBunny View Post

Apparently, I need "silken tofu" to make a veggie sour cream. What is it and where do I get it? I checked two grocery stores last night and couldn't find it in the refrigerated section with the other tofus.

I have used regular tofu to make a sour cream in a pinch. I just added enough olive oil till it achieved a creamy texture while the tofu was spinning in the food processor.

My Vegan Food Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 02-16-2010, 07:24 AM

Thanks everybody. I tried a health-food type grocery store and found it in the refrigerated section with all the other tofu.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page