Appropriate to bring your own food when... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Beginner

I was wondering what is it not appropriate to bring your own food to public outings and locations?

I could see it being a little strange to bring your own food into a restaurant. But how about at a mall food court?

That is kind of fair game, right? I sometimes sneak my own food into the movie theater as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I see nothing wrong with bringing your own food to a mall court. I, personally, would not bring my own food to a restaurant. I'd call ahead to see if something could be arranged and if not I'd eat beforehand and have a drink instead . I always carry a Luna bar in my purse or coat pocket for awkward situations and have been known to munch on one during a movie.

My Vegan Food Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 02-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't ever want to take my own food to a food court cos it sort of defeats the object to me especially when I can get vegan meals there, but I can't really see anything wrong with it if you want to do it. I wouldn;t try it at a cafe or restaurant though, cos they'll probably ask you to leave.

m8itcanw8.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

depends on how classy a restaurant....I've taken food from one place into a nother place, because all of my coworkers were eating there. They bought their food from that place, so they certainly didn't lose any money on me....nothing to wash, no water served, etc. Food Court is totally fair game, why not...not even a question about that. Think about how many employees work in a mall. Who in the world is going to care where your food came from?

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#5 Old 02-04-2010, 08:15 PM

I wouldnt do it...but I have seen people try to do it...My Fiance and I were at a friends B-day Party at a pizza place and one of the B-day guys family brought in a sandwhich from the shop next door and was asked to eat it elsewhere and to please leave untill he was done they didnt want any insurance or health issues occuring from strange food being in their establishment and I could see their point.

I always keep some kind of Veggie Bar in My Bag in case there isnt anything for me to eat or I eat before or after.
#6 Old 02-05-2010, 05:06 AM
Veggie Regular

The food court is fine in my opinion. I've seen mall store workers eating their own bagged lunches in the food court before. Restaurants are iffy though. Some probably don't have issues with it and others probably would. I've brought my own condiments, soymilk, and wraps into restaurants before though and was never questioned about it.
#7 Old 02-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't see a problem with bringing your own food to a food court. The options there are often very unhealthy, so I could see if I had kids making them something healthy to eat after walking around the mall all day. I brought Subway into a restaurant with me once. I tried to sneak it but the waiter saw me and questioned me. I honestly said you guys don't have any vegetarian options here, and he smiled and agreed with me and said it was fine.
#8 Old 02-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Banned

i always bring i food to movies, burritos work great bc they aren't very messy and easy to transport (i also drink beer in the movies, its too boring w/o it!).

food courts are for sure fair game for bringing food.

some restaurants don't care, especially deli style ones, or ones w/ outdoor seating. its safe to call and ask ahead of time or ask before bringing in the food. i bring food into restaurants pretty often, but it is technically not a "meal" just a few things i carry with me to help make boring veg food better: salad dressing packets (drew's has some vegan dressings and also can be found in to go packs), nuts or seeds, dried fruit/veg, and some crackers....anytime im stuck with a lame side salad or worse yet forced to order a fast food salad these ingredients help a lot to make food better. ive yet to be at a restaurant and be told not to use my own dressing or seeds, also these additions can be done discreetly if the situation calls for it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page