What to do with silken tofu? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I've got some left over silken tofu from making a vegan quiche, what kind of things can I make with the rest??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2010, 01:11 PM
mlp
Banned

I use silken tofu, for quiche, cream soups, smoothies, cream sauces, pies and "puddings."

The trick is to process it thoroughly in a blender or food processor before adding it to the other ingredients you're using. Process it longer than is required to break it down into a thick, smooth substance - the longer processing gets rid of the "beany" taste.

You just have a little bit, not an entire package? Put it into a fruit smoothie. Or melt some vegan semisweet chocolate pieces and add it to the processed tofu - you can sweeten it to your taste, and add a little vanilla extract (or a little creme de cacao or amaretto, if you're of age). If you preferr fruit, add fruit instead of chocolate. (This is also how I make my chocolate pies and creamy, unbaked fruit pies - just put the mixture into a baked pie shell, or one made of cookie crumbs. Chocolate filled oreos make a great chocolate crust. The pies set after a couple of hours in the fridge. (Use extra firm silken tofu for pies.)))

Once the package is opened, silken tofu, like any unused tofu, should be covered with water and stored in an airtight container in the fridge until used. The water needs to be changed daily.
#3 Old 01-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I have pretty much a whole package left, the recipe I followed used one whole package and a little bit of the other one lol. I may have to give the smoothie thing a go. =D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

You can make 1) sour cream: In blender or food processor, first blend tofu package (or what remains) then add and blend other ingredients: the juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon, 1 tsp. - 1 tbsp. light miso (or a small amount of salt if you don't have miso).

OR: 2) Coconut cream topping (for desserts, cereals...): In blender or food processor, first blend tofu package (or what remains) then andd and blend other ingredients: 3 or more tbsp. maple syrup or agave nectar, 3 tbsp. lemon juice, 1 tsp. vanila, 1/2 can coconut milk (I used the light variety).

OR: 3) Chocolate avocado ice cream (if you also have some ripe avocados and bananas you want to use up). In blender or food processor, first blend tofu package (or what remains) then add and blend other ingredients: 2 smallish avocados, 3 ripe bananas, 2/3 cup sweetener (I use chopped soft dates), 1/3 cup plain (unsweetened) cocoa powder, 1 tsp. vanilla. Place in container(s) and freeze. Let thaw out at least one hour before eating.
#5 Old 01-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I have been known to make chocolate (and other flavours as well) mousse with silken tofu that fools even the omnivores in my life. I put the tofu in a blender with a little water until smooth, and add in some chocolate that I have melted in a double boiler. You can add peanut butter, or vanilla, or pumpkin or mint or really anything for added flavour. Once they are blended together, stick it in the fridge as is, or in a pie crust, it will set up and make a delicious mousse/pudding

There are also a lot of great vegan cheesecake and pumpkin pie recipes that are pretty simple and use silken tofu.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page