How do you wake up in the morning? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I am NOT a morning person. at all. Last semester I could wake up and drag myself to class, but this semester I'm in an internship and actually need to be semi-alert in the morning. Not to mention I have a 45 minute commute I have to keep my eyes open for. So I need an energy boost. I hate coffee and tea and I'm not at all in the mood for soda that early in the morning. Any suggestions to get me moving? It sucks I have to be so picky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-21-2010, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I've heard great things about that 5 hour energy stuff. However some people like my mom have side effects like dizziness. Eating hearty healthy stuff helps too. I've forced myself to acquire a taste for hot oatmeal it's very healthy and packed with energy boosting protein. Or peanut butter on toast. Really any high protein food.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#3 Old 01-21-2010, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

coffee person here...can't imagine morning w/o it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Right now I get up between 4:30 and 5:00 a.m. I'm not a morning person. It actually helps to have three cats using the bed as a trampoline at 4:00 in the morning, which is rigiht about when they're very active. I can't possibly sleep when there's a Siamese cat shrieking into my ear and 500 pound feline sitting on my chest.

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 01-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I set my alarm for about 20 minutes early, I find it helps if I have a few minutes to lay in bed and take a few minutes to wake up and collect my thoughts for the day.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#6 Old 01-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

I set my alarm for about 20 minutes early, I find it helps if I have a few minutes to lay in bed and take a few minutes to wake up and collect my thoughts for the day.

I set my alarm about 20 minutes early. Then I wake up, turn it off, sleep for another forty minutes, and miss the bus. I'm terrible with mornings too.....

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#7 Old 01-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Just make sure you don't fall asleep again! (I have done that way too many times to count! Hehe)

Anyway, I am NOT a morning person and don't like eating right when I get up. (I actually feel sick if I eat for at least an hour after I wake up. My system needs time to adjust and wake up and then want food) But I force myself to eat something. Like peanut butter on whole wheat toast and a piece of fruit (Like a banana or apple or blueberries) The natural sugars in the fruit put a spring in your step, and the protien and fiber help you feel full and energized all morning.
#8 Old 01-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

2 hours of exercise works.
#9 Old 01-21-2010, 08:01 PM

you sound like you could use a smoothie in the morning. theyre a pretty tasty & nutritious alternative to solid food when you first wake up. youll find heaps of recipes on google if ya do a search. if you bung some ground flax seeds into the mix as well youre getting an extra boost of nutrients and fibre too
#10 Old 01-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

We have one of those dawn simulator clocks that wakes you up with gradual light and it is a Godsend. http://www.lumie.com/shop/categories/dawn-simulators

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#11 Old 01-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Haha I feel you dude, as a college student I'm not a morning person either, especially socially. I don't really talk to people in the morning if I don't have to.. I tend to stay up to like 3-4am every night haha and then in the morning I'm f***ed. Sometimes I give myself like 5 minutes though before I actually hop out of bed. Like when your alarm goes off don't keep laying down cuz you'll just fall back asleep, but sit up indian style or something and just sit there and breathe and get your brain thinking. Stretch, rub your eyes etc. This sounds weird, but it often helps me start the day a little less painfully (haha you might still be tired, but mentally you'll feel like you can get through the day).
#12 Old 01-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I drink two black coffees and perk right up!

But since you don't do coffee, an alternative is either 1) a loaded, nutritional smoothie or 2) an energy bar! I find granola & oatmeal really energize me quickly too. You can find tons of vegetarian/even vegan energy bars around.. they're very yummy & give a quick boost to wake up! =)

Also if you do eat some dairy (like me), Carnation Good Start really packs A LOT of energy quickly when added with milk of any kind (soy, rice, moo, any really). Its a powder packet and you just mix it in & drink! I'm getting away from processed stuff now, but this is always a fall back.

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#13 Old 01-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

2 hours of exercise works.

Or even just 20 minutes. If you can't bring yourself to really exercise, try some yoga to get your blood flowing. Some inverted poses will help get blood to you brain and wake you up!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#14 Old 01-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

When I've had to get up in the early a.m., I tend to monitor when I go to bed. If I see that it's 11:30, and I'm wasting time on various websites, I turn the computer off and hit the hay. Good luck.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#15 Old 01-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Banned

the sound of a cat barfing on your duvet will wake you up a treat. they should make alarm clocks that have that noise.
#16 Old 01-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

the sound of a cat barfing on your duvet will wake you up a treat. they should make alarm clocks that have that noise.

Hahaha.. and I thought alarm clocks already had the most DREADED, god-awful noise in the world!

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#17 Old 01-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Abject terror does the trick for me.

I sleep four nights a week at work and my first thought these days is always "Oh crap, did anyone randomly die in their sleep!?!?" I jump up, heart pounding, and go check. Then I can't go back to sleep.

Works like a [strike]dream[/strike] nightmare.
#18 Old 01-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

I set my alarm about 20 minutes early. Then I wake up, turn it off, sleep for another forty minutes, and miss the bus. I'm terrible with mornings too.....

HAH! That is totally my life. It's ridiculous! I try not to fal asleep, but it just sort of happens!
#19 Old 01-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Or even just 20 minutes. If you can't bring yourself to really exercise, try some yoga to get your blood flowing. Some inverted poses will help get blood to you brain and wake you up!

You still have to drag yourself out of the bed to do that first.

I'm not a morning person either.
#20 Old 01-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a freak with alarms, btw. I set five every morning. (My boyfriend confiscates my phone if we both have the morning off, so I can't do it.) I set three to go off in 15-minute intervals before I have to get up, one for when I should get up, and one 15 minutes after as my "just in case" alarm. If I don't, I usually get all paranoid about oversleeping and wake up every 45 minutes during the night to check the clock.

I have sleep issues.

But I LOATHE the morning. The first 10 minutes or so that I'm awake, I don't talk to anyone. I grunt and glare at people who try to talk to me. Those first few minutes are just PRIVATE time when people are not allowed to intrude on my consciousness while it attempts to sort itself out.
#21 Old 01-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I find that going to bed super early helps me get up early in the morning. I'm still not "fully" awake for awhile after waking up though and it takes me a bit of time to actually get motivated to start my day. I also have some high fiber/protein meal for breakfast and two cups of tea and some stretching exercises after my food digests. I was never a morning person but seeing how it gets dark and colder around 4:30 now I like to start my day early.
#22 Old 01-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

I'm a freak with alarms, btw. I set five every morning. (My boyfriend confiscates my phone if we both have the morning off, so I can't do it.) I set three to go off in 15-minute intervals before I have to get up, one for when I should get up, and one 15 minutes after as my "just in case" alarm. If I don't, I usually get all paranoid about oversleeping and wake up every 45 minutes during the night to check the clock.

I have sleep issues.

But I LOATHE the morning. The first 10 minutes or so that I'm awake, I don't talk to anyone. I grunt and glare at people who try to talk to me. Those first few minutes are just PRIVATE time when people are not allowed to intrude on my consciousness while it attempts to sort itself out.

I used to do that. I had an alarm for half an hour I had to get up, 7 minutes till I had to get up...7 minutes of snooze, then 5 minutes until I had to be at work. And if I slept anywhere besides my own bed *ahem* I would wake up every hour or two and couldn't sleep until I looked at my phone. I'm weird.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#23 Old 01-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I used to do that. I had an alarm for half an hour I had to get up, 7 minutes till I had to get up...7 minutes of snooze, then 5 minutes until I had to be at work. And if I slept anywhere besides my own bed *ahem* I would wake up every hour or two and couldn't sleep until I looked at my phone. I'm weird.

You two are goofy

I drink coffee and *try* to force myself to go to sleep earlier if I can help it. But as KirstenKat mentioned (ps love your avatar!), maybe 5 hour energy could work? Or even naps if the lack of sleep you're getting every night starts to build up...
#24 Old 01-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I roll out of bed, turn on the radiator, brush my teeth and splash my face with water, eat a bowl of cereal, and walk for 40 min to class in the cold. If that doesn't get me awake, I don't know what will.

The Vegan ABC's: East Meets West, VEGAN STYLE! A blog detailing the edibles in the life of an ABC (American-born Chinese) vegan.
http://theveganabc.blogspot.com/
#25 Old 01-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I always feel a little bit foggy in my brain until 9:30 AM or so. Unfortunately I have to start working at 8 AM.
#26 Old 01-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sleeping better at the moment which is good. Alarm goes off at 7am but I snooze it till 10 past and then wake my eldest son up and go back to bed lol Normally snooze the alarm a couple of times, getting up each time to nag my son into getting up for school! I know I should probably just get up and stay up but I hate getting up when it's cold and dark when I could be warm in bed! I get up about 7:45am and wake up my daughter and go make packed lunches and anything else that needs doing before the school run
#27 Old 01-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I set my ipod dock alarm the night before to a song i like, so in the morning i jump out of bed and start dancing
#28 Old 01-22-2010, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Same here. I can't stand it when people are all chipper and perky in the morning. I'm sorry but it's just not right.
#29 Old 01-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

hmm what wakes me up is my mom (i sleep through any alarm noise, an alarm will go off for hours next to my head and i dont wake up) and then i drink something (usually tea, sometimes just a bottle of snapple or something), sometimes eat cereal or something, brush my teeth and put some make up on if i feel like it. i'm still tired but i wake up as the day goes on. probably not a helpful answer at all .

I've just begun having my fun. <3
#30 Old 01-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Banned

i used to have 3 alarms set 5 minutes apart (phone on pillow, radio, tv) but i'd still sleep through them or turn them off in my sleep. i fell on my arse in the middle of my bedroom floor once while running across the wooden floorboards in slippery socks, in my sleep, attempting to retrieve the remote for the tv alarm which i'd hidden behind it. i also have an awesome skill of answering ringing phones and taking written messages, and having full coherant conversations which i later have no memory of, in my sleep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page