Tofu scramble - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-12-2010, 12:51 AM
Beginner

How do you make your tofu scramble?

I generally just mix a little soy sauce and curry powder together; serve with some fried potatoes too. This mixes well together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-12-2010, 01:00 AM

fry tinned potatoes, onion, and maybe some cherry tomatoes, and then put in some blended up tofu, and then add the black salt....I wish they would make some black salt without so much of the sodium chloride...

#3 Old 01-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Here's a pretty basic recipe that I have found to be just DELICIOUS!

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=20614.0

You can do a lot more with it too, like add mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, paprika... etc etc etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

My favorite has a *cheat in it, but whatever..lol

crumbled tofu

chopped onions n peppers

garlic powder n onion powder

sage

* morningstar farms breaksfast sausge

When it's all done I drizzle it all w/ a mixture I use for tofu bacon, not all of it just some, (we know I don't measure...lol) 2T maple syrup/1t liquid smoke. I keep batches of this made up and kept in the fridge. Then I sprinkle nutritional yeast on top.

most yummy!
#5 Old 01-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

fry tinned potatoes, onion, and maybe some cherry tomatoes, and then put in some blended up tofu, and then add the black salt....I wish they would make some black salt without so much of the sodium chloride...

First of all, what are "tinned potatoes"? I've never heard of them. I am assuming you mean potatoes in a can? (We'd say "canned potatoes")... Is there seriously potatoes in a can? How does that work? Do they turn mushy? Or is it something else entirely?

And the black salt I use, also known as kala namak, is not sodium chloride. It's an Indian ingredient, a pinkish powdered mineral that tastes like sulfer - or eggs. Is this the same black salt you use? Interesting.

-----------------------

For my world-famous tofu-scramble, I mash med. firm tofu, and season with fresh garlic, fresh parsley, a bit of powdered faux chicken bullion, nutritional yeast, Indian black salt, and sometimes bacon salt too. Pour a bit of soymilk over to mix the spices, and cook until creamy.

As for vegetables, that part is variable depending on the season but usually green chiles, mushrooms, zucchini, onions, carrots.
#6 Old 01-12-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

First of all, what are "tinned potatoes"? I've never heard of them. I am assuming you mean potatoes in a can? (We'd say "canned potatoes")... Is there seriously potatoes in a can? How does that work? Do they turn mushy? Or is it something else entirely?

And the black salt I use, also known as kala namak, is not sodium chloride. It's an Indian ingredient, a pinkish powdered mineral that tastes like sulfer - or eggs. Is this the same black salt you use? Interesting.

here is what I use(From Sainsburys); yes they are canned...don't Americans say 'tinned'? we say both in the UK..

(does that show up?)

The potatoes are boiled, and solid...they taste quite nice once they're fried.

As for the sodium chloride, which is just ordinary table salt.

Quote:
Kala Namak (Bangla Bit lobon (বিট লবণ); Nepali Birae Nun (बिरे नुन) ; Hindi काला नमक kala namak), also known as black salt or black Indian salt, is a salty and pungent smelling condiment mined in India. The condiment is a type of volcanic halite, a mineral composed largely of sodium chloride, with several impurities thus lending the salt its colour and smell. The primary impurity, and source of kala namak's odouriforous nature is due to sodium sulfide [1]. Due to mineral impurities in the mineral, it is brownish pink to black color stone when whole and ground into a powder, it is light purple to pink in color.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kala_Namak

I know it is naturally mined like that, but I wish that someone would manufature a product with less table salt in it, and more of the sodium sulfide...I like salt but too much of it spoils the food, and I can't get a very strong taste of the eggy impurities.

#7 Old 01-13-2010, 03:21 AM

I dice my potatoes and brown them in a pan. In the meantime, I blend up my tofu with some vegetable broth, corn starch, sometimes a parm cheese substitute, garlic, salt and pepper. After the potatoes are cooked to the desire texture/color, I add my tofu to the pan. I also like to add broccoli, kale, or spinach. I cook it til desired texture then eat it with a little bit of butter/butter sub and hot sauce.
#8 Old 01-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

wish that someone would manufature a product with less table salt in it, and more of the sodium sulfide...I like salt but too much of it spoils the food, and I can't get a very strong taste of the eggy impurities.

Interesting... my jar says "low sodium" (of course 99% of the bottle is in an Indian language that I can't read, so I have NO idea if it's translated correctly - I remain rather dubious about this...) but it doesn't taste "salty" at all,?just overwhelmingly "sulphuric"... a 1/4 tps or so would be WAY more than enough to make a pan full of tofu very strongly "eggy"... And I add table sat to my "tofu eggs" as well - I wonder if it's just a different variety? Or one person is more sensitive to the taste than another?

Oh - and I think here in the US we would commonly say "canned"? I have heard the term "tinned" but don't think it's used. But I have never, ever heard of canned (or tined) potatoes. This fascinates me in a weird way - My Fellow Americans... are there canned potatoes here in the US?
#9 Old 01-13-2010, 11:21 PM

my packs of blacksalt don't seem to have any information about the contents, on them, but to taste, it is as salty as table salt..

maybe yours is refined.....I would prefer the refined stuff, if it got rid of the table salt.

#10 Old 01-14-2010, 07:09 AM
Veggie Regular

yes, there are canned potatos here in the us. They are in the canned vegetable section in the grocery stores. I find it very interesting to see what things are called, or how we all write, since so many are from all over the world. It's just cool that we all meet here, and there are others from eath other's countries that can help one another out!

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#11 Old 01-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

yes, there are canned potatos here in the us. They are in the canned vegetable section in the grocery stores.

Thank you! This is just so fascinating to me, I don't know why. And do they taste like... well, like potatoes? I must find these things!
#12 Old 01-14-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:

Thank you! This is just so fascinating to me, I don't know why. And do they taste like... well, like potatoes? I must find these things!

Your fascination with tinned potatoes made me giggle a bit, I can't belive you've never heard of them!

As for what they taste like, don't expect them to taste like real potatoes- they're ok and edible enough, but nothing like the real thing. If you've ever had tinned soup with those little cubes of powdery, strange textured potato in then that's what they're like.

Also, I've only ever seen tinned "new potatoes" here, never any larger sized ones.
#13 Old 01-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by .ghost. View Post

Your fascination with tinned potatoes made me giggle a bit, I can't belive you've never heard of them!

As for what they taste like, don't expect them to taste like real potatoes- they're ok and edible enough, but nothing like the real thing. If you've ever had tinned soup with those little cubes of powdery, strange textured potato in then that's what they're like.

Also, I've only ever seen tinned "new potatoes" here, never any larger sized ones.

Oh. (sad) I was thinking it was some new invention that would be endlessly convenient and practical for me, but then, I've never had a canned (tinned) vegetable that I actually LIKED so I'm not sure WHY I thought potatoes would be any different... I still want to see a can for myself to know they do exist, but I'm thinking they won't become a staple in my pantry... thank you everyone for indulging my curiosity and TOTAL derailing of this thread!!!

Now: BACK TO TOFU SCRAMBLES!
#14 Old 01-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly023 View Post

Here's a pretty basic recipe that I have found to be just DELICIOUS!

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=20614.0

You can do a lot more with it too, like add mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, paprika... etc etc etc

I added mushrooms also, very good!
#15 Old 01-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oh. (sad) I was thinking it was some new invention that would be endlessly convenient and practical for me, but then, I've never had a canned (tinned) vegetable that I actually LIKED so I'm not sure WHY I thought potatoes would be any different... I still want to see a can for myself to know they do exist, but I'm thinking they won't become a staple in my pantry... thank you everyone for indulging my curiosity and TOTAL derailing of this thread!!!

Now: BACK TO TOFU SCRAMBLES!

i dislike most canned vegetables (well, unless i have canned them!!!!), as an indulgence (sadly) i would buy a can of potatoes and not share them, it would be a down-low purchase for sure!! i LOVE them!! and i only rinse them a bit if at all--salty wonderfulness, right there in a can!!!! *runs and hides in shame*!!!!!
#16 Old 01-15-2010, 08:55 PM

the canned potatoes I use are fine once their fried, although I do make potato salad with them too, but they're not so good in that, just passable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page