VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   General Food Discussions (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/)
-   -   Sweet and Savory (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/108508-sweet-savory.html)

Lael 01-07-2010 02:26 PM

Do you have a preference? Do you get ridiculously cravings? How do you handle them? Do you have go-to foods?

As a rule, I'm a savory girl. The spicier and stronger-flavored, the better. But I do get sweet cravings, and it's usually not for anything specific. I had one now and made a cup of chamomile and added in a packet of stevia, which really hits the spot and isn't sickeningly sweet or laden with bad sugar.

How about you?

Earthling 01-07-2010 02:33 PM

I like things really salty, and I like things really sweet, I like things really sharp and I like things really spicy. Not all at once! My palate is really off, but it means I can enjoy pretty much any food that other people would find inedible. I eat lemons whole (minus the peel), jalapenos on toast... you name it, I like it.

I get cravings for salty and spicy more than sweet or sharp. For salty I usually make some tofu scramble with ridiculous amounts of rock salt. For spicy I make a vindaloo or madras.

saxyphonist 01-07-2010 03:07 PM

I have a major sweet tooth. Dessert has always been my favorite part of the meal.

But, since I went vegan I've started craving various savory foods, which never really happened to me before I made the switch. It's interesting.

Brandon 01-07-2010 03:09 PM

I definitely like savory. Hot and spicy all the way!!

I also tend to love salty/crunchy things.

I almost never want anything sweet, unless it's fruit or on a rare occasion I might have a bit of fruit sorbet or something.

Poppy 01-07-2010 03:21 PM

I think I'm generally more of a savory person - not sweet. I like a lot of hot an spicy things, too. But every once in a while, I'll get a craving and I'll have to take a bite of some deep, dark chocolate and let it linger on my tongue to melt. ahhhhhh!

monsterbeans 01-07-2010 03:56 PM

If I didn't think it may kill me, I would live on chocolate and its forms (my Dad's chocolate mousse, chocolate ice-cream)...in fact...anything sugary. Major sweet tooth person.

But occasionally, I will crave the strangest things...often thai-style curries and other spicy food. I think I'm sweet and spicy (not at the same time, and not so it reads much like a personal advertisement)

Nishani 01-07-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lael View Post

Do you have a preference?

It used to alternate between sweet and savoury, now it's mostly savoury.

Quote:
Do you get ridiculously cravings?

Yeh.

Quote:
How do you handle them?

Give in to them. It's easier that way for everyone involved.

fadeaway1289 01-07-2010 06:00 PM

I like them all. I don't discriminate. Usually something salty/crunchy comibined with savory followed up by something sweet.

Photojess 01-07-2010 06:32 PM

absolutely a sweet person here, and I don't like heat very much at all!

GhostUser 01-07-2010 10:18 PM

I like them all....but Hot and Spicy is my Fave....The Hotter The Better

Bluebeen 01-08-2010 04:39 AM

I like both but generally prefer savoury, spicy & hot!!

Lael 01-08-2010 06:41 AM

I just noticed some egregious typos in my original post! Please ignore!

I've come to realize that my cravings are almost always for two things, on the savory side: Asian cuisine or Mexican cuisine. I could eat Italian everyday OR NOT without thinking about it, but don't get b/w me and the curry, burritos, pad thai, stir-fry, gah I'm so hungry now. And whoever mentioned crunchy, that's a huge deal to me, too.

For sweets, I even trend toward savory there, too: If it has cinnamon in or on it. And dark chocolate. Sometimes lemon. It's fun trying to pin down cravings.

We seem fairly split between sweet and savory! Interesting.

Kellye 01-08-2010 07:20 AM

Savory/salty/spicy for me.

I don't mind a little sweetness (like hoisin sauce) but for the most part I don't have much of a sweet tooth. I rarely crave dessert, and would much rather have a hearty appetizer or soup.

Milk chocolate is just blah to me...but dark chocolate? Yum.

VeganTigress 01-08-2010 08:39 AM

I am a sweet girl all the way. I love baking and from all my posted pictures of my cooking, you can tell! I like savory as well but dessert should be mandatory after ALL meals, in my opinion..LOL!

Hubby is more of a savory guy but I am slowly turning him with my coconut chocolate chip cookies! LOL!

Kindest Regards,

VeganTigress