I made tofu "fish" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-06-2010, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

My family wanted salmon...rare they ask so I obliged. However, I was determined to make my dinner cooler than theirs to convince them that they didn't need salmon. WIN!

I used my usual baked tofu for the starter (blot, bake w/ garlic n onion powder, salt n pepper, baste w/ canned mushroom soup and under bake a little). Make lots and use throughout the week for other stuff.

So I took the above tofu and saute'd it in a pan w/ earth balance, paprika, and torn nori sheets, a sprinkle of dill, and a squeeze of lemon. It was delicious! The kids got a kick out of the nori sheets. Everyone tried my version and thought it was great. I'll be making it for the family, they gave it a thumbs up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-06-2010, 02:10 PM

tofu "fish"?? never heard or tried it before. sounds delish though
#3 Old 01-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I may have invented it....lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds yummy!
#5 Old 01-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

These guys fish 'n' chips are amazing... http://www.something-fishy.org.uk/index.htm
#6 Old 01-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I really like the taste and consistency of fish, both cooked and uncooked, whereas I don't particularly like the taste or consistency of most meats...so it would be great to find a good commercially produced soy "fish."
#7 Old 01-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Gotta try this! Sounds delicious..
#8 Old 01-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Did you use the nori, dill, etc after you had cooked it with the mushroom soup? I have a recipe for making tofu taste like fish, and it also uses dried seaweed to give it that fishy taste. But it also called for something called "malt vinegar", which I couldn't find, so I don't know how close I came to how it's supposed to taste. (I also made the mistake of using brewer's yeast instead of the nutritional yeast the recipe called for.)

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#9 Old 01-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Did you use the nori, dill, etc after you had cooked it with the mushroom soup? I have a recipe for making tofu taste like fish, and it also uses dried seaweed to give it that fishy taste. But it also called for something called "malt vinegar", which I couldn't find, so I don't know how close I came to how it's supposed to taste. (I also made the mistake of using brewer's yeast instead of the nutritional yeast the recipe called for.)

Every week, I make 2 cookie sheets of sliced/baked tofu w/ the onion powder, garlic powder, salt n pepper and I baste w/ the canned mushroom gravy. I under bake it a little so I can cook it with other things during the week, although it IS yummy just like that and I grab it cold from the fridge.

I used this for my "fish" recipe starter. then just saute in the earth balance and seasonings and ripped up nori sheets and drizzled w/ lemon. It was funny because the kids thought it looked like fish because the nori sheets looked like the skin side and the paprika made it red.
#10 Old 01-06-2010, 05:44 PM

This is so similar to how I make my son's "fish" sticks. Very yummy.
#11 Old 01-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I make Chinese Tofu "fish" using tofu, soysauce, and ginger.

The Vegan ABC's: East Meets West, VEGAN STYLE! A blog detailing the edibles in the life of an ABC (American-born Chinese) vegan.
http://theveganabc.blogspot.com/
#12 Old 01-07-2010, 06:31 AM
Veggie Regular

when you say underbaked, how long is that? I still have not gotten the tofu down yet, more than once or twice....

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#13 Old 01-07-2010, 06:59 AM
Veggie Regular

hmmm, I'm so bad at this because I'm not a timer or measurer person...lol I bake it on one side (oiled cookie sheet) until it starts to brown a little, on about 350*, then I flip, reseason and baste and bake again. It's probalby about 15 minutes per side. I over did it one time and it got way too stiff. I like it a little mushy on the inside and a little firm around the edges...lol Prolly not much help at all. It's all just how you like to eat it, my husband liked it best in it's jerky form..lol (weirdo!)
#14 Old 01-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

What exactly do you mean by canned mushroom soup/gravy? Like the Campbells stuff? Or more like a (dark)brown gravy? So if it's the Campbells stuff (or similar) do you dilute it with water/milk or use it in it's gooey, straight-from-the-can form? If this is indeed what you use, I definitely need to find a vegan substitute that will work, as I'd love to try it.

I make breaded tofu "fishsticks" by dipping in lemon juice, then in crushed cornflakes mixed with a bunch of seasonings including kelp powder - turns out VERY "fish-like" and my kids LOVE it!!
#15 Old 01-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

What exactly do you mean by canned mushroom soup/gravy? Like the Campbells stuff? Or more like a (dark)brown gravy? So if it's the Campbells stuff (or similar) do you dilute it with water/milk or use it in it's gooey, straight-from-the-can form? If this is indeed what you use, I definitely need to find a vegan substitute that will work, as I'd love to try it.

I make breaded tofu "fishsticks" by dipping in lemon juice, then in crushed cornflakes mixed with a bunch of seasonings including kelp powder - turns out VERY "fish-like" and my kids LOVE it!!

I use store brand mushroom gravy (like campbells) straight from the can and blot it on the tofu w a basting brush. Easy peasy..

The fish sticks sound great and I know my kids would go nuts over them because of the kelp....(mentioned on sponge bob so it's very cool )
#16 Old 01-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

You should be able to find malt vinegar at most grocery stores. It's very common.
#17 Old 01-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Recipe, please. And where do you buy kelp powder?
#18 Old 01-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Recipe, please. And where do you buy kelp powder?

http://tofu-n-sproutz.blogspot.com/2...for-those.html ... I sometimes cut the tofu into more "stick" shapes than slices... and the kelp powder is from the Asian Store. You can just whiz any seaweed in a food processor to make "powder" - easier to control how much you put in...
#19 Old 01-07-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nontoxicglue View Post

I make Chinese Tofu "fish" using tofu, soysauce, and ginger.

both sound yummers....thankies for sharing.
#20 Old 01-08-2010, 05:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

hmmm, I'm so bad at this because I'm not a timer or measurer person...lol I bake it on one side (oiled cookie sheet) until it starts to brown a little, on about 350*, then I flip, reseason and baste and bake again. It's probalby about 15 minutes per side. I over did it one time and it got way too stiff. I like it a little mushy on the inside and a little firm around the edges...lol Prolly not much help at all. It's all just how you like to eat it, my husband liked it best in it's jerky form..lol (weirdo!)

Sounds yummy, but...

I need very explicit directions. Next time you make it, please jot down the ingredients and step-by-step instructions. I would love to try it.
#21 Old 01-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by julz View Post

Sounds yummy, but...

I need very explicit directions. Next time you make it, please jot down the ingredients and step-by-step instructions. I would love to try it.

Just wing it. It sounds like theres enough info here to make it? I don't understand how the instructions are going to get MUCH more specific as cooking isn't all that exact a science - a lot of your results depend on YOU and the variables in your kitchen - the humidity, elevation, type of oven, type of tofu, type of pan. Seems pretty clear.
#22 Old 01-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Banned

Quote:

Sounds yummy, but...

I second this, a detailed recipe would be awesome!

I had amazing vegan "fish" at a vegan fayre. It was just like the real thing.
#23 Old 01-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm with Earthling and Julz on this, I need an exact recipe to follow.

Of course, when you do it again, no hurry. I wouldn't mind seeing pictures either.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#24 Old 01-09-2010, 04:59 AM
Veggie Regular

hee hee ok, I'll try. Funny, I'm a recipe boycotter. I read one then go to my kitchen and makes what's in there work. I cook by the ideo of a recipe. I guess I'm one of those people who don't like to be told what to do, even by a recipe card...lol
#25 Old 01-09-2010, 05:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I've seen a Buddhist recipe that's 'fish' tofu using Nori Sheets. You mash the tofu, flavour with soy and kelp powder and reform it into a fillet shape wrap it in a nori sheet and steam it. The nori sticks to the tofu and the tofu reforms as a fillet. Then you fry it in to crisp up the 'skin' parts. Nrever a fan of fish so i haven't tried it yet although I make a chicken style version using bean curd sheets instead of nori.
#26 Old 01-09-2010, 05:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I make a chicken style version using bean curd sheets instead of nori.

What are these bean curd sheets you speak of? lol I'm learning so many new things this week!
#27 Old 01-09-2010, 05:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

What are these bean curd sheets you speak of? lol I'm learning so many new things this week!

Its the 'skin' of a vat of tofu. When you make tofu a skin forms on top as the soymilk is heating - kind of like when you boil milk. The skin gets scooped off the top and dried out. You soak it in warm water to make it pliable again. You can usually buy it in Chinese grocery stores.

see here for more info: http://chinesefood.about.com/library.../aa071902a.htm

The Chinese eat it as it forms - they skim the boiling soymillk with chopsticks and eat it hot.
#28 Old 01-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Sounds yummy, but...

Made another batch today. Not sure I accomplished anythimg more explicit though...here's what I came up with...

I used made 3 cartons of firm tofu. (drain, wrap in towel place between two cookie sheets w/a pan on top for awhiile)

Slice aobut 1/4 inch and lay on an oiled cookie sheet

Sprinkle w/ garlic & onion powder...liberally..like you are making garlic toast

Salt & pepper

With a basting brush or spoon dab on canned mushroom gravy on each slice

Bake in a 350* oven for 22 minutes...lol (that's when I checked it and it looked fine)

Flip the slices

reseason and rebaste, return to oven for another 10 minutes.

Remove from oven and eat or save for more recipes...

My son ate 6 slices immediately. 3 packages of tofu, that made 2 full cookie sheets.

Hope that helped. I'm never going to get my own cooking show...lol
#29 Old 08-05-2019, 12:38 AM

How To Make Fish Soup

Try this amazing soup recipe! It is my favorite!
A delicious fish soup that is prepared in just 40 minutes!
The most delicious fish soup that definitely deserves your attention!

How To Make Fish Soup - club.cooking/recipe/fish-soup/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page