tomatoes sauce for pasta - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Banned

can you tell advices for making tomato pasta sauces??? do you like pasta?

i can tell that ive once at spaghetti in a restaurant and got it with the tomatos flavored out of meat while grilled on the same grill is the meat

i can tell that ive tried to smoke tomatoes first and got no flavor os smoke in the pasta

i can tell that i read once the adivice to add tiny bit of soy sauce to the sauce

ive even tried to smoke semi cooked pasta but it got no flavor

i think that some of the organic pastas are more good in flavor and texture

today i ate pasta with small hot dogs on top

putting cream means that it is better to make the sauce cream based because otherwise you will not noticed the cream that much

and i dont know how to incorporate cheeses into the pasta - can it also be added to tomato sauce???

the internet lacks having simple recipes and common facts about food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I make a very simple sauce.

pureed tomatoes (how many depends on how much sauce you want, I like leftovers)

basil..never too much in my opinion

crushed garlic

olive oil (gives the sauce the smoothness that the fat cooked from meat does..w/o the meat of course)

saute garlic (don't let it brown), add tomatoes, basil and a splash of olive oil. If it's too thick, add a little water. Simmer for a bit. *if it seems to be too acidy, I sometimes add a pinch of sugar at the end.

nice touches on plate: hot pepper flakes and/or nutritional yeast if you don't use cheese (really, the cheese just tastes salty anyway, I've gotten away from that)
#3 Old 01-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

This is the best tomato sauce on the planet, so I've been told by vegetarians AND omnis. It's not exactly simple, but it is delectable.

SAUCE:

- 1 purple onion, chopped

- 3-6 cloves garlic, roasted and mashed

- 1 roma tomato, chopped

- 1 green bell pepper, sliced and diced

- 8 white button mushrooms, sliced

- 1 jar of artichoke hearts, marinated and quartered

- 1 package Smart Round vegetarian burger

- 1 jar of pasta sauce

- 2 bay leaves

- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg- 1 tsp. capers

- 1 large dollop Tofutti's Better Than Sour Cream

- 2 spoonfuls of olive bruschetta

- sea salt and pepper

- dash of dried oregano

- dash of smoked paprika

- dash of seasoning salt

- two dashes of garlic salt

- splash of red wine

- 1 1/2 tbsp. Italian seasoning

- 1 1/2 tbsp. basil

Roast the garlic in the oven first, then saute the onions/peppers/mushrooms until quite tender and browned, brown the veggie burger if you use that, then dump everything else together with the ingredients you've already cooked up in a soup pot; let it all simmer 'til you're ready to eat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I prefer not to use a sauce at all. I cook the pasta, then simply toss it in a bowl with extra virgin olive oil, diced tomatoes, and chopped garlic. Depending on what I have in the fridge, I may also throw in some green pepper strips, steamed broccoli florets, carrots, mushrooms, soy sauce, chopped celery for crunch, basil, oregano, crushed red pepper... whatever I'm in the mood for!
#5 Old 01-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

^^

Yum! we do this too
#6 Old 01-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Banned

pureed tomatoes (how many depends on how much sauce you want, I like leftovers) ------ but you dont specify exact quantities and also - here there are terms like tomato mush which is what used by the majority to make pasta sauce and it is tomato puree - it is not common to use here other tomatos products because they are expensive and bad in quality - ive once found the stems of the tomatos in crashed tomatoes can

basil..never too much in my opinion - basil isnt good in tomato sauce to my taste and it is expensive to buy it for pastas - even if it was freee i woulnt use it

crushed garlic - when i make the pasta i dont notice much of the garlic even tho im using 3 cloves for 500 gram of pasta - i chop the garlic after crushing it with a knife instead of using a garlic crusher

olive oil (gives the sauce the smoothness that the fat cooked from meat does..w/o the meat of course) - i feel annoyed to use olive oil for sauce that isnt very tasty anyway and doesnt has good aroma anyway - i dont like to waste olive oil for nothing

saute garlic (don't let it brown), add tomatoes, basil and a splash of olive oil. If it's too thick, add a little water. Simmer for a bit. *if it seems to be too acidy, I sometimes add a pinch of sugar at the end. --- the sugar will not make the sauce tasty if it isnt at first place

nice touches on plate: hot pepper flakes and/or nutritional yeast if you don't use cheese (really, the cheese just tastes salty anyway, I've gotten away from that)[/QUOTE]---- how can you put cheese without it curdle?
#7 Old 01-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

This is the best tomato sauce on the planet, so I've been told by vegetarians AND omnis. It's not exactly simple, but it is delectable. --- looks like a big mess

SAUCE:

- 1 purple onion, chopped ---- the onions remain in pretty raw pieces and red onion is more noticeble

- 3-6 cloves garlic, roasted and mashed

- 1 roma tomato, chopped ---- it doesnt make difference if you use regular tomato

- 1 green bell pepper, sliced and diced --- this at the rest just make the tomato sause weird and not simple

- 8 white button mushrooms, sliced

- 1 jar of artichoke hearts, marinated and quartered

- 1 package Smart Round vegetarian burger ---- what is the smart round???? - and why is the word round???

- 1 jar of pasta sauce

- 2 bay leaves --- do you really believe that the bay leaves make any taste??

- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg- 1 tsp. capers

- 1 large dollop Tofutti's Better Than Sour Cream

- 2 spoonfuls of olive bruschetta --- what is olive bruschetta?

- sea salt and pepper

- dash of dried oregano --- to dry to add to a bland sauce anyway

- dash of smoked paprika

- dash of seasoning salt

- two dashes of garlic salt

- splash of red wine

- 1 1/2 tbsp. Italian seasoning

- 1 1/2 tbsp. basil

Roast the garlic in the oven first, then saute the onions/peppers/mushrooms until quite tender and browned, brown the veggie burger if you use that, then dump everything else together with the ingredients you've already cooked up in a soup pot; let it all simmer 'til you're ready to eat.

i think that the addition of cream of nutritional yeast can make a truely good tomato sauce and can become something simple that even non vegetarians will want to try - makeing some sort of cream with NY means that you will use flour and that will make the sauce thick and creamy but still weird in terms of using flour with pasta
#8 Old 01-06-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

I prefer not to use a sauce at all. I cook the pasta, then simply toss it in a bowl with extra virgin olive oil, diced tomatoes, and chopped garlic. Depending on what I have in the fridge, I may also throw in some green pepper strips, steamed broccoli florets, carrots, mushrooms, soy sauce, chopped celery for crunch, basil, oregano, crushed red pepper... whatever I'm in the mood for!

Sounds Yummy!!

I like to make my own sauce with tomatoes and veggies from my garden
#9 Old 01-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Tinned chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, onion, garlic, basil, olive oil.
#10 Old 01-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

I get a wonderful pasta from a small local Italian place that is tossed with cauliflower, capers, olive oil, garlic, and fresh cracked peppercorns.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#11 Old 01-07-2010, 05:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagemurut View Post

pureed tomatoes (how many depends on how much sauce you want, I like leftovers) ------ but you dont specify exact quantities and also - here there are terms like tomato mush which is what used by the majority to make pasta sauce and it is tomato puree - it is not common to use here other tomatos products because they are expensive and bad in quality - ive once found the stems of the tomatos in crashed tomatoes can

basil..never too much in my opinion - basil isnt good in tomato sauce to my taste and it is expensive to buy it for pastas - even if it was freee i woulnt use it

crushed garlic - when i make the pasta i dont notice much of the garlic even tho im using 3 cloves for 500 gram of pasta - i chop the garlic after crushing it with a knife instead of using a garlic crusher

olive oil (gives the sauce the smoothness that the fat cooked from meat does..w/o the meat of course) - i feel annoyed to use olive oil for sauce that isnt very tasty anyway and doesnt has good aroma anyway - i dont like to waste olive oil for nothing

saute garlic (don't let it brown), add tomatoes, basil and a splash of olive oil. If it's too thick, add a little water. Simmer for a bit. *if it seems to be too acidy, I sometimes add a pinch of sugar at the end. --- the sugar will not make the sauce tasty if it isnt at first place

nice touches on plate: hot pepper flakes and/or nutritional yeast if you don't use cheese (really, the cheese just tastes salty anyway, I've gotten away from that)-- how can you put cheese without it curdle?[/

apparently you would find my sauce offensive...lol you are the one that asked, generally if you don't like the answer people just move on. Your reply seemed overly snotty imo.
#12 Old 01-07-2010, 06:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

apparently you would find my sauce offensive...lol you are the one that asked, generally if you don't like the answer people just move on. Your reply seemed overly snotty imo.

That'll teach ya!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page