Kellye has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.Lentil Soup:
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 2 carrots, diced
* 2 stalks celery, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
* 2 cups dry lentils
* 8 cups water
* 1/2 cup spinach, rinsed and thinly sliced
* 2 tablespoons vinegar
* salt to taste
* ground black pepper to taste
1. In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil; cook for 2 minutes.
2. Stir in lentils, and add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 1 hour. When ready to serve stir in spinach, and cook until it wilts. Stir in vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper, and more vinegar if desired.
That is the stove top version. I just dumped everything into the crockpot and set it on low for about 7 to 8 hours. Probably would set on high for 4 or 5. I used a bigger can of tomatoes, so you might want to add a little extra liquid of some sort. I also followed suggestions on the site and used a "no chicken broth" but veggie broth apparently works well too. (: I have no problem with my spinach a little mushy, but you might want to add it when you just get home or something.
I actually found the minestrone recipe because I didn't have it in my recipe book yet, so it was still saved.
Here it is: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...ipe/index.html
I think you'll love them, even my boyfriend who hates eating vegetables loved them. (:
Happy (slow) cooking. ;D