Those dang anzac biscuits - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-07-2004, 12:37 AM

I've been wanting to make some of these babies for a while now. I found a recipe on VegFamily here that I'd like to try, but I have a slight problem. I've never laid eyes on an anzac biscuit, and I have no idea what golden syrup is. Here's what the recipe on VegFamily said:

Anzac biscuits are a traditional type of biscuit (cookie) eaten in New Zealand and Australia. I don't know if there is another name for Golden Syrup in America, but if so, and you don't know what it is, you could use treacle instead.

So that means I could use molasses? Or would something lighter like light corn syrup be in order? Hmmmmm . . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-07-2004, 01:06 AM
Banned

Golden syrup (which is in most stores in Australia) is an extract of sugar that is milled and refined so it is in its purest form (so kind of like liquid sugar).

Treacle has a stronger flavour and aroma, so maybe you can use that, but a bit less of it.
#3 Old 01-07-2004, 01:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Golden Syrup (drool) is darker than light corn syrup, but lighter than dark corn syrup. When I replace golden syrup in cookies, I usually prefer the dark corn syrup...but that's my preference. You could use whichever you have on hand...or if you have both, use 1/2 of each. Corn Syrup is also a bit runnier than Golden Syrup, but it should be ok.

If you really want...you can get Golden Syrup at British Import shops. I have no idea if there are Aussie import shops, but they may have it too. Another place to try in the Indian Grocer (seriously...if they have it then it will be cheaper than the British shop). Some supermarkets also stock it (the Lunardi's be me has it...I don't know where you are though)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

A lot of the standard markets here (in Southern California) carry golden syrup now. It's stocked near the honey and molasses. Lyle's is the brand that is usually available. If you have a Cost Plus World Market near you, they also carry Lyle's Golden Syrup.
#5 Old 01-08-2004, 01:09 AM

I don't know if its available near you, but maple syrup is also good....
#6 Old 01-08-2004, 01:15 AM

Anzac biscuits. I can't wait for April! Bring on Anzac day...
#7 Old 01-08-2004, 03:50 AM

Yum! Just made them! They don't taste very anzac biscuity though.. They'd need a lot more golden syrup!
#8 Old 01-08-2004, 04:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I feel like anzac biscuits after reading this, yummy! One of my new years resolution is to bake less though.lol
#9 Old 01-08-2004, 07:56 AM

Check Food Lion, I saw some there (golden syrup).
#10 Old 01-08-2004, 10:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Here in the boonies - southern Arkansas, to be exact - there aren't any import shops, Indian groceries, or anywhere else that has golden syrup Maple syrup is pretty much out of the question - it's *reallyreally* expensive here (maybe it is everywhere?) and that's IF you can find it! Stores around here carry tiny, expensive bottles of maple syrup only around Thanksgiving time.

Poor folks like me have to improvise I think I'll try either a combination of corn syrup and blackstrap molasses or some sorghum syrup. I think it'll be ok if they come out tasting "wrong" - since I've never eaten an anzac biscuit, I won't know the difference!

Oh, what is Anzac Day?
#11 Old 01-08-2004, 10:51 PM
Banned

#12 Old 01-09-2004, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Super Stop & Shop sells Golden Syrup in their foreign foods isle.. in the British/Irish section.

If you can't find any I'd be happy to mail you some. I practically live at the post office... and stop&shop...

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#13 Old 01-10-2004, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serranian View Post

Maple syrup is pretty much out of the question - it's *reallyreally* expensive here (maybe it is everywhere?) and that's IF you can find it! Stores around here carry tiny, expensive bottles of maple syrup only around Thanksgiving time.

You don't have maple syrup???

That is soooo sad! The next time I am sad about living in Wisconsin I am going to remember the abundance of Maple Syrup we have here - and at 1/2 the cost of when I lived near Chicago.

You can order lots of british foods of the internet. My partner is british and we get stuff from www.goodwoods.com

When I lived near Chicago we had irish and british food markets and they are missing from the landscape hear in cheeseland. *sigh* at least I have cheap maple syrup! : )
#14 Old 01-11-2004, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I know this is a bit outside of the topic, but I've always wanted to know what treacle was. At first I thought it was something J.K. Rowling made up and this is the first time I've heard the word outside of a Harry Potter book. So what exactly is it?
#15 Old 01-11-2004, 04:22 PM

I did end up making some anzac biscuits earlier using a mixture of green label corn syrup and molasses - they taste so yummy! Now, whether they really taste like anzac biscuits or not is a whole other story . . .

Rabid_child, thank you for your kind offer - I really should have re-read this thread before I went off and started cooking!

Moonflower, yep - around here maple syrup is, for poor college students like myself, a rare luxury! Usually, maple syrup is out only in the fall/winter for something like $8-10 for an itty bitty bottle, maybe 6oz or so - too rich for my pocket Well, there's always maple flavored syrup (yuck!) . . .
#16 Old 01-12-2004, 03:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomaito View Post

I know this is a bit outside of the topic, but I've always wanted to know what treacle was. At first I thought it was something J.K. Rowling made up and this is the first time I've heard the word outside of a Harry Potter book. So what exactly is it?

Treacle is basically the same as molasses. I hadn't heard of blackstrap molasses before I read this board and I was a bit worried by some of the descriptions, but I tried it anyway and it tastes just the same as treacle.

Molasses - if it's dark and strong like blackstrap molasses anyway - would be no substitute for golden syrup as they are totally different. Golden syrup looks much more like honey but is clear and is much sweeter. More like liquid sugar, really. It must be sad not to have it in the US - how do manage without golden syrup sponge pudding?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page