freezer meals - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-17-2009, 03:06 PM

My husband and I are expecting our first baby in 2 months. People have told us it will be helpful to have the freezer full of meals to eat at the beginning. I am looking for vegetarian or vegan recipes that I can make now and freeze for later. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. So far I'm planning on lasagna and lentil loaf. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-17-2009, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Personally, I'd make a few large crock-pot batches of soups, chilis, and stews and freeze them in smaller containers.

Unless you're in the southern hemisphere (or in a very lucky location in the northern one!), it'll still be cold and wintery and I love soups in that weather! (Plus, they work whether you're feeling well, or even feeling ill.)

I also do things like spend a day making a MILLION vegan spanakopita triangles (or other freezable appetizer-type food). I assemble them and then freeze them on cookie sheets covered with tin foil. Then, in the case of an unexpected gathering, they can go straight from the freezer to the oven and feed a crowd with no prep work... Or I can pull a few off for myself if it's just me, and cook them separately.

I'd also google around for vegan OAMC (Once A Month Cooking) recipes since they will be easy to freeze and will likely have tried-and-tested directions for thawing and cooking.

Congratulations, and good luck!
#3 Old 12-18-2009, 06:24 AM
Veggie Regular

My first response would have been lasagna, but you already thought of that! Muffins,veggie patties/burgers, breads, rice/bean/veggie casseroles. As already stated, chili and soup freeze well.

Here's a couple other threads you may get an idea or two from also.

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...hlight=freezer

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...hlight=freezer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

You could also make Tamales! They're a little time consuming, but not hard to make and freeze well. https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...68-Tamale-Talk

It wouldn't hurt to have a few Amy's meals on hand too.
#5 Old 12-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

This is my favorite spaghetti sauce of all time:

http://www.recipezaar.com/Heathers-V...i-Sauce-269551

I like to make a large batch and once it cools, portion it into freezer bags/containers and thaw as needed. You still have to cook the spaghetti, but that's not much work at all.
#6 Old 12-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

i agree with the above posters. i'm actually expecting at the beginning of january myself and am just now getting started on this. i plan to make at least two soups (a "chickenless soup for the soul" and a lentil soup), chili, lasagna, some muffins, and a few casseroles or a pot pie. thank goodness we have a separate freezer from our fridge!

the latest issue of vegetarian times actually has a section of recipes for make-and-freeze casseroles. my sister and mom made me two "vegetable samosa casseroles" the other day and brought them over for me. my heartburn and nausea are horrid right now STILL (so they're both going in the freezer), but they'll be awesome to have around when the time comes!

oh, and i also make large batches of vegan pancakes and french toast and freeze the leftovers. just pop 'em in the toaster when you're ready for one! so easy and delicious!

best wishes to you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page