Burger King sells Veggie Burgers? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-07-2009, 06:37 PM

I just read that post on the main page, and that caught my eye. Is every Burger King participating in this, or is it just a few here and there?

What other restaurants/fast food places are selling veggie burgers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

The only Burger King that *I* know of that sells Veggie Burgers is the one in Culver City, California across the parking lot from the Target I shop at. However, I believe it's a chainwide menu option.

There are some family restaurant chains that also offer veggie burgers. I think Ruby Tuesdays is one of them. You'd probably have to go to the websites for individual chains to check their menus.

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 12-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Ever since I have gone vegetarian, any Burger King that I have had the misfortune of having to eat at has had veggieburgers on the menu. (This includes airports.)

Also, a vegetarian friend of mine went on a road-trip across the U.S. a few summers ago, and said that BK's veggie burger was a life-saver when they got to small towns. This leads me to believe that the veggie burger option is pretty widespread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Banned

I had the BK Veggie a long time ago and thought it was quite tasteless. I have had Johnny Rocket's Boca burger and it was good. Ruby Tuesday's is definitely the best restaurant veggie burger I've had. It's very thick, too. Lots of smaller restaurants offer veggie burgers, too. But you'll just have to check for places in your area for those. http://www.happycow.net/ is a good place to look up veggie options in your area.
#5 Old 12-07-2009, 07:56 PM

My wife is a District Manager for Burger King and she said that all BK's offer the veggie burger.
#6 Old 12-08-2009, 01:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomogo1 View Post

My wife is a District Manager for Burger King and she said that all BK's offer the veggie burger.

Not everywhere. I bet you are in USA? I live in Norway, and there are no vegetarian options here. Not in BK and not in McD.
#7 Old 12-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Beginner

The BK in my part of town as a veggie burger, but i never tried it. Has anyone tried and and would you recommend it? I'm pretty content with my Frozen Boca burgers but this would help if I'm ever on the road.
#8 Old 12-08-2009, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the BK veggie burger is gross. I would totally recommend going to Denny's or Red Robin though. They both will allow you to substitute a really delicious Boca patty for any of their specialty burgers.
#9 Old 12-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

The BK veggie burger is the same Morningstar Farms patty that Subway sells as a Veggie Max. I think it's pretty good, but unfortunately, it's not vegan. When I'm on the road and desperate, though, it's a cheap, quick, decent tasting option.

--Fromper

#10 Old 12-08-2009, 09:10 AM

I have never tried BK's veggie burger.. Is it good?
#11 Old 12-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

The BK veggie burger is the same Morningstar Farms patty that Subway sells as a Veggie Max. I think it's pretty good, but unfortunately, it's not vegan. When I'm on the road and desperate, though, it's a cheap, quick, decent tasting option.

--Fromper

Here, they're definitely two different products. The patty at Subway is not a "burger," it's an rectangular slab of veggie-patty. The BK Veggie is a Morningstar brand burger, but not the same as any in the stores. Neither are vegan, tho...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#12 Old 12-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

Here, they're definitely two different products. The patty at Subway is not a "burger," it's an rectangular slab of veggie-patty. The BK Veggie is a Morningstar brand burger, but not the same as any in the stores. Neither are vegan, tho...

They're different shapes here, too, but they're clearly the same product otherwise. They taste the same.

--Fromper

#13 Old 12-08-2009, 10:28 AM

Yeah, it's the same product molded into different shapes at BK and Subway (at least in the US). I used to have the joy of working for teh company that produces them.

I second the Red Robin recommendation if you have one near you. (Can't offer an opinion on Denny's, as I haven't been in one in over 20 years.) Not sure if it's chain-wide, but we have a choice between Boca Burger and Gardenburger at our local RRs. The menu appeals to omni's too, so it's a great place to suggest for a group feast. I've also run in there for a to-go order a few times rather than going the fast food route.
#14 Old 12-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

Where are you located? The Subway here doesn't have veggie patties, the only veggie option I have is the sandwich...

As for the BK Veggie Burger, I've had it, and it wasn't too horrible. I forgot to ask for it without ketchup though (can you tell I'm not used to eating at fast food places), silly me (I hate ketchup).

If you're on the road, it's a good option.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#15 Old 12-08-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Angel View Post

Where are you located? The Subway here doesn't have veggie patties, the only veggie option I have is the sandwich...

As for the BK Veggie Burger, I've had it, and it wasn't too horrible. I forgot to ask for it without ketchup though (can you tell I'm not used to eating at fast food places), silly me (I hate ketchup).

If you're on the road, it's a good option.

The veggie patty is available to all Subway stores, but some choose not to serve it. If you'd like to see it on the menu, make a suggestion. Enough suggestions often lead to new additions. I know the owner of my local Subway refused to add it to the menu because she didn't think there was enough demand. She soon buckled when several customers began to take their business across town to the other Subway that did serve the patty.
#16 Old 12-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

BK in the UK used to sell spicy bean burgers - I occasionally had one in my early vegetarian days, but apart from not wanting to line the pockets of the likes of BK & MacDs, I was never 100% comfortable with the thought they they were probably cooked in the same fryers / grills. Didn't MacD's fries used to be coated with beef derived flavouring of sorts ?

It gives me pause for thought whenever we eat out somewhere if the food I've chosen is fried.
#17 Old 12-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Didn't MacD's fries used to be coated with beef derived flavouring of sorts ?

They used to fry in beef fat, but not anymore.
#18 Old 12-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnitLoveMeow View Post

The veggie patty is available to all Subway stores, but some choose not to serve it.

Also, some Subways around here have it but don't have it on the menu. You have to ask for it. I've had employees at my regular Subway tell me they didn't have it. I had to tell them that they do in fact have it and tell them where they're kept.

Red Robin and Denny's are both really good but for me it's more about the toppings than the burger. I'm used to having veggie burgers with ketchup and mustard and a store bought bun. Add some lettuce, tomato, onion, a good bun, etc. and it goes a long way regardless of how the patty itself tastes.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#19 Old 12-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc55 View Post

BK in the UK used to sell spicy bean burgers - I occasionally had one in my early vegetarian days, but apart from not wanting to line the pockets of the likes of BK & MacDs, I was never 100% comfortable with the thought they they were probably cooked in the same fryers / grills. Didn't MacD's fries used to be coated with beef derived flavouring of sorts ?

It gives me pause for thought whenever we eat out somewhere if the food I've chosen is fried.

In the US, McD's fries still have "beef flavoring", even though they're cooked in vegetable oil. At BK (at least, here in the US), the veggie patties are cooked separately (in the microwave ), and I've heard they have a fryer just for the fries, separate from where they fry chicken and other meat, so I think it's ok. I don't know how they do it in the UK.

--Fromper

#20 Old 12-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

--Fromper

I had know idea that Subway had veggie patties! I thought if I went there all I can get was veggies on bread! There are 2 Subways in town (redundent I know) so theres a 50/50 chances one of them has them.
#21 Old 12-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

yep, most subways I know of have the veggie patties, but they aren't always on the menu. they also have spinach but keep it in the fridge so you have to ask for it...

the microwaved morning star bk burgers are pretty gross in my opinion ~$2.89 for one or you can get whopper juniors with no meat for $99 each
#22 Old 12-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, most Subways do have the veggie patty. Usually called a VeggieMax. It is NOT vegan, tho, if that's a concern.

I enjoyed the BK Veggie just fine before I went vegan. Lower your expectations, and you won't be disappointed.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#23 Old 12-08-2009, 09:22 PM

I had a BK Veggie Burger when they were first available....Peta sent me two freebie coupons and they werent great but were okay....I like the idea that when friends and I go to a sports event or concert ect...and after they wanna stop for a burger theres something there if I Choose to eat it...
#24 Old 12-09-2009, 05:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

:

Red Robin and Denny's are both really good but for me it's more about the toppings than the burger. I'm used to having veggie burgers with ketchup and mustard and a store bought bun. Add some lettuce, tomato, onion, a good bun, etc. and it goes a long way regardless of how the patty itself tastes.

Years ago I used to frequently go to Denny's late at night with coworkers and would get the boca burger with a ton of toppings. I think it's cool that you could substitute boca burgers for any of their burger options although most of them are not vegan, it's still nice that they have that option available.
#25 Old 12-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Beginner

I've had the BK veggie burger a few times and it's pretty good. In fact, the first time I had it, it tasted so much like a beef burger I made my sister try a piece to make sure it was veggie. She said it was and that it was mushy!
#26 Old 12-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I think it's cool that you could substitute boca burgers for any of their burger options although most of them are not vegan, it's still nice that they have that option available.

Me too, I think it's very business-smart and customer-courteous of these chain restaurants to give veg*ns so many options by doing it this way (many more options than a place like, say, Applebee's or Chili's...)
#27 Old 12-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

Me too, I think it's very business-smart and customer-courteous of these chain restaurants to give veg*ns so many options by doing it this way (many more options than a place like, say, Applebee's or Chili's...)

Chili's has the black bean burger, which is quite good.

--Fromper

#28 Old 12-10-2009, 12:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

Chili's will let you substitute the black bean burger on any of their burgers, though the last time I was there they had done away with most of their pre-built burgers on the menu and were pushing a build your own kind of thing.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#29 Old 12-10-2009, 03:51 AM
Veggie Regular

It's nearly impossible to find a veggie burger around here. I was just at ruby tuesdays last week and definitely no veggie burger. None at burger king. The little non-chain restaurant up the street from me boyfriend's apartment has good veggie burgers though. Too bad it's 25 minutes from my house!

And just saw that someone mentioned subway having "veggiemax"....nope...not here either.
#30 Old 12-10-2009, 04:02 AM

BK uses mostly oils with animal fats so be careful. Assuming it has onion rings in it, which it does here in NZ

www.thezeitgeistmovement.com
www.thevenusproject.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page