My friend is laid up with a broken leg, and I want to bring him some comfort food tomorrow. He is a very meaty meat-eater. I'm looking at this recipe and wonder what you all think about
1. Subbing 2 pounds of halved button mushrooms (or cubed portobellos) for the beef.
2. Using mushroom broth instead of beef broth.
3. Eliminating the first hour of simmer time.
Think it would work? Thanks!
* 2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
* 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 4 cubes beef bouillon, crumbled
* 4 cups water
* 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
* 1 teaspoon dried parsley
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
* 4 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
* 4 stalks celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 2 teaspoons cornstarch
* 2 teaspoons cold water
1. In a large pot or dutch oven, cook beef in oil over medium heat until brown. Dissolve bouillon in water and pour into pot. Stir in rosemary, parsley and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.
2. Stir potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion into the pot. Dissolve cornstarch in 2 teaspoons cold water and stir into stew. Cover and simmer 1 hour more.