veggie chili recipe ... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-03-2004, 12:17 AM

my LJ friend, alli, sent me this chili recipe and i just made it. i'm salivating ... it's so good!!!

thought i'd share:

This makes a HUGE pot of chili. It freezes really well, and it's great to heat up for lunch or dinner again (I eat it almost everyday till it's gone when I make it, since I'm only cooking for two people!). I chop the onion and pepper into chunks instead of dicing them up small.

Alli's Vegetarian Chili

1 large yellow onion, chopped

2 green bell peppers, chopped

1 red bell pepper, chopped

2-4 cloves garlic, diced

1 can (14 oz.) vegetable broth

1 cup dry TVP

1 large can (29 oz.) diced tomatoes

1 large can (29 oz.) crushed tomatoes

1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes with peppers and garlic (optional)

1 can each garbanzo, black, and kidney beans, drained

2 Tbs. vegetable oil

spices: black and white pepper; garlic salt; chili powder; cumin; cayenne; oregano; bay leaf.

In medium bowl, pour 1 can of vegetable broth and stir in dried TVP. Add a few shakes of chili powder; stir and let stand.

In large pot, cook onion in vegetable oil until tender. Add diced garlic and cook for a minute or so; add all canned tomatoes. Here I add the spices to taste: I use a lot -- at least 2-3 Tbs. chili powder, a few sprinkles of garlic salt, a few dashes of white pepper, a whole lot of freshly ground black pepper, a tsp. or so of cumin (optional, since cumin is already in chili powder), a few sprinkles of oregano, and just a bit of cayenne powder -- the cayenne makes it really hot, so add a little at a time to taste. I also add a bay leaf but that's optional. Stir in chopped peppers, drained beans, and the rejuvenated TVP (pour in all liquids from the bowl). Add more spices as it cooks until it tastes spicy enough for you, and simmer covered until the chopped peppers are tender, stirring often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-03-2004, 01:28 AM

Good stuff! One of my versions is similar, in the fact that I've used TVP and a variety of beans in my chilis. Often I'll alternate TVP with tofu. Both work well in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page