Vegan cupcakes from cake mix - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-20-2009, 08:25 AM

I've been playing around trying to make some but they never rise properly, they always fall and then fall apart later. I've heard diet soda works but I'm going to be turning vanilla cake mix into key lime cupcakes and worry about that messing things up a bit.

So, any tricks anyone knows to make good vegan cupcakes from a cake mix?

(Note: I can not for the life of me find that egg replacement powder so things besides that please.)

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-20-2009, 08:56 AM
Banned

egg replacer powder is usually just tapioca and potato starch, citric acid and a little cellulose (tylose). all you really need is tapioca or potato starch/flour (corn starch will work too). a rough ratio ( i don't measure often sorry) is about 1 tbsp starch to 3 tbsp liquid = 1 'egg' also if there is not baking soda or powder listed in the ingredients list (sodium bicarb.) you might want to add a tsp.

box mixes are not the most reliable to make w/o eggs but can be done. some other options to replace eggs is mashed fruit, bananas, pumpkin, apple. about 1/4 c per 'egg'. this sometimes adds the fruit flavor and also increases sugar content that can screw with some recipes.

ground flax also works, 1 tbsp flax to 3 tbsp water = 1 egg. when whipped it does get thicker. i can taste and see the flax in the finished food, i don't always use it for this reason, just doesn't work with some flavors.

silken tofu is another option. i haven't tried it, but many vegan recipes include it.

check out this recipe, its simple and looks excellent, im going to try it out for sure, thanks for the idea!

http://yumyumkidcupcake.blogspot.com...-cupcakes.html
#3 Old 11-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I've tried the diet soda with cake mix, and the cupcakes come out really dense and heavy. I did not like it. I just use vegan recipes now.

I don't have anything to add to luvourmother's egg replacer suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-20-2009, 10:28 PM

Thank you, I have a ton of cake mix so I can definitely try some things out
#5 Old 11-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a similar question and found this today:

What is a good substitute for eggs?

•\tEner-G Egg Replacer - follow directions on box.

•\t2 tbsp cornstarch = 1 egg

•\t2 tbsp arrowroot flour = 1 egg

•\t2 tbsp potato starch = 1 egg

•\t1 heaping tbsp soy powder + 2 tbsp water = 1 egg

•\t1 tbsp soy milk powder + 1 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water = 1 egg.

•\t1 banana = 1 egg in cakes.

•\t1 tbsp milled flax seed and 3 tbsp water = 1 egg. Light, fluffy cakes!
#6 Old 11-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you have to use a cake mix?

I make vegan cupcakes all the time without using fancy ingredients (who needs egg replacement powder?) and they come out perfectly all the time. I actually made chocolate ones yesterday for my housemate's birthday.

Here's a basic recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. I use that basic recipe with a few variations for both cakes and cupcakes. They rise fine and taste great!
#7 Old 11-22-2009, 06:54 PM

I don't have to use it, I prefer baking from scratch, but I have like five boxes of cake mix and really want to use them up and need to make lots of cupcakes.

Thank you for the recipe, I'll add it to what I have, it sounds great!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page