Lentil Burger recipe that doesn't fall apart?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Banned

Hi guys....I want to make a lentil burger but I am having a hard time finding a good recipe, all the ones that I see online fall apart. I am Lacto-Ovo but it can be vegan. Thought I would ask since everyone is always talking about it here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I make veggie burgers with chickpea flour. Chickpea flour is VERY sticky though if you let it get too moist.

I would cook the lentils/beans that you want to use, drain WELL, put 1 1/2 cups of it in a bowl, add some spices you may like...suggestions: cumin, coriander powder, garlic. Then add salt and maybe some pepper. You can then add some grated veggies like carrots or diced bell pepper...whatever you like. At this point I usually take a fork and mash up the beans a bit. You don't have to pulverize them, it just makes it easier to mix and form patties.

Now choose a flour you would like to use. I would suggest a bean flour but almost any type of flour seems to work. You can also blend more than one kind together.

Add the flour until you are able to shape the dough into a ball without it being really moist or sticky. If it's too dry for you, you can add a tiny bit of oil or water and knead it in.

Now form the dough into patties and fry or bake. Yummy.

That's the simple version but you can probably add other things like rolled oats, nutritional yeast or flax seeds etc. to your liking.
#3 Old 11-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

You could try a little vital wheat gluten kneaded into the burger mix. It'll help it hold together.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Banned

Thanks for your replies, they turned out pretty good. I made them with 1.5 cups, drained lentils as suggested by Her Jazz and added cumin, parsley, onion and garlic powder, 1 diced sauted onion, 1 diced sauted carrot and 3 cloves sauted diced garlic. I used 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs as the binder. I would have tried the Vital Wheat Gluten, but I was out Maybe next time.

#5 Old 11-12-2009, 05:01 PM

While not necessarily a burger recipe there is a recipe that I am currently using in my restaurant with red lentils. If you boil some red lentils but make sure they are just barely cooked.. there is a very small threshold here, too cooked and the recipe is screwed, not cooked enough and you are eating raw lentils. Anyhow, once you get the lentils cooked right you just blend some cashew nuts, garlic, ginger, red onion, coriander and mint then add that blended mix to the red lentils with some salt. Not an exact recipe I know but you would want about 1/5th the amount of blended cashews for your amount of red lentils then the other ingredients are just for flavouring.

Best of luck!

Landstreicher
#6 Old 11-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a recipe on my blog for "Lentil Loaf" that is pretty good made into burgers - I only made it into burgers as a lacto-ovo, so it's possible that the eggs bind better than the egg-replacer (this sometimes happens...) but as mentioned above you could add some chick-pea or wheat-gluten flour. I add gluten flour to my veggie burgers (another recipe) and they hold together really well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page