Daiya cheese - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Beginner

I keep reading rave reviews for this stuff, but it's not available anywhere within a 6 hour drive of my house (I looked.) My husband is a cheese addict and is really struggling with veganism because of the lack of cheese, so I'd like to try this stuff. Has anyone had it? How is it?

And how the heck do you pronounce it?? I want to call some health food stores in other cities near me to find out if they have it but I don't know how to pronounce it...(Day-uh or die-uh?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I may be wrong about this but as far as I know Daiya cheese isn't really available for individuals to buy in stores yet, but is mainly used in food service establishment (though there seem to be some exceptions with some stores buying it and repackaging it for sale).

You can order it online at www.veganstore.com, but it can be expensive after you buy the cold pack (if necessary) and pay for shipping.

We actually ordered one of the 5 pound bags of it. It's expensive but it's A LOT of cheese. I stored it in the freezer, it seems to freeze well.

The first time we had it (cheddar) we put it on pizza and honestly, wasn't crazy about it like that. It was better cold the next day. It is really good on grilled cheese and melted on corn chips. It's also good cold, straight out of the package.
#3 Old 11-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I just bought a bag online from Vegan Essentials. It's not as good as I expected it to be but it's not bad either. It's a lot stronger tasting than I expected. I bought the Italian flavored one and I guess my mistake was thinking it was going to taste like mozzerella cheese. It does not. I made eggplant parm with it and again, it was a little overpowering. I also sprinkled some on my tomato sandwich. I'm not giving up on it though. I'm going to try it with some other foods. I think I will try the cheddar next.

I don't know the proper pronunciation. I say "die-uh".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-08-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyvel View Post

I may be wrong about this but as far as I know Daiya cheese isn't really available for individuals to buy in stores yet, but is mainly used in food service establishment (though there seem to be some exceptions with some stores buying it and repackaging it for sale).

You can order it online at www.veganstore.com, but it can be expensive after you buy the cold pack (if necessary) and pay for shipping.

We actually ordered one of the 5 pound bags of it. It's expensive but it's A LOT of cheese. I stored it in the freezer, it seems to freeze well.

The first time we had it (cheddar) we put it on pizza and honestly, wasn't crazy about it like that. It was better cold the next day. It is really good on grilled cheese and melted on corn chips. It's also good cold, straight out of the package.

thankies for the headz up
#5 Old 11-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Daiya is currently being discussed HERE:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...d.php?t=110506

Nec Aspera Terrent
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page