Nut-free make-ahead vegan lunches? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes I feel so incompetent when it comes to planning my "brown bag" lunches.

My limitations:

* no nuts (colleagues with allergies)

* make the night before or, even better, the weekend before

* trying to use a laptop lunch box

So, my laptop lunch box contains two medium size boxes, two small boxes, and one mini box (in theory, for dressings/dips). Inner lids for the mini and for one of the medium containers, but I've had some leakage problems with the containers.

One medium box can be used for fresh vegetables - green salad or cut vegetables. One small box for cut fruit or berries. That leaves a medium (with lid) and a small for some combination of grains, legumes and vegetables.

Suggestions, please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-18-2009, 05:55 PM

Hummus made without tahini (sesame seed paste.)

This is the way I make mine:

Chick peas (rinsed well)

Garlic (as much as you like)

Lemon juice (fresh squeezed is best)

Olive Oil

Red Pepper

Salt

Blend it all up until smooth. Refrigerate overnight.

Use as a sandwich spread with tomatoes and lettuce, or use as a dip for veggies.
#3 Old 10-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

So your lunches might come in contact with a co-worker? Is this a workplace policy? I understand if you're just restricting yourself to be respectful, or around allergic children, (like in a school setting where they aren't as careful or knowledgeable) - but isn't it just as likely they would come in contact with something you might have on your hands or clothing? Is this ALL nuts and seeds? Have they been tested for everything? Just curious how this can be an actual workplace "rule".

ANYWAY...

Cold salads come to mind. Just mix whatever grains and beans and dress with "Italian" or oil and vinegar or lemon... or whatever strikes your fancy...

Quinoa-black-bean and corn with cilantro and lime maybe?

Black-eyed pea "salsa" (Texas Caviar)

Wild rice, white beans and cranberries

Mexican rice-n-beans with tortilla chips on the side

Pasta salad with garbanzos and chopped fresh veggies

All of the above keep well, and are good cold...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I had the old laptop lunchbox and recently upgraded to the new one because it has an add-on kit with a salad-sized container. Anyway...

- I have found that the 'large' containers are slightly too small for a good soup, so I usually pack the soup in a thermos. Then I take rice crackers in one big container (to go with the soup) and fruit in a small one (for a side dish). In the other large and small ones, I pack trail mix and a larger fruit for snacks.

- Lots of great salads. My favourite is to mix two spoonfuls of creamy dressing with a dash of soy sauce, and toss it with packaged cole slaw mix and tofu cubes, maybe some raisins or sunflower seeds on top.

- I also will pack a soup I assemble at work: the fruit and trail mix snacks plus uncooked rice noodles in one large container, a single serving of frozen spinach and a handful of protein in the other, and a dip container of miso paste or bouillon cubes. Come lunchtime, just toss it all into a bowl, pour boiling water on top and let sit for a few minutes before eating.
#5 Old 10-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karyanca View Post

My limitations:

* no nuts (colleagues with allergies)

Tres bizarre! How many feet away can they be before it constitutes an appreciable health hazard? I have never in my life heard of such a thing.
#6 Old 10-27-2009, 05:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by giselle View Post

Tres bizarre! How many feet away can they be before it constitutes an appreciable health hazard? I have never in my life heard of such a thing.

Not sure what part of the world you are in, but nut bans are very common in North America. I am a teacher and don't think I have ever worked in a school building that did not ban nuts, and not just among the kids. You can't bring any into the facility. There are also nut-free bakeries, restaurants etc. It is not about how many feet away, it's about if you leave trace particles around that they can come into contact with. It's not 'bizarre' it's as I said very common here.
#7 Old 10-27-2009, 06:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post

Chick peas (rinsed well)

Olive Oil

Red Pepper

Salt

Use as a sandwich spread with tomatoes and lettuce, or use as a dip for veggies.

I got all excited when I read this...lol I don't like tahini and I've really tried to like it. I'm going to make this today!!! Thanks!!
#8 Old 10-27-2009, 06:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh! I should add an idea...it's early, sorry.

How about taking an avocado and some salsa and corn chips or triskets. I'm currently addicted to this. Along w/ you could bring a thermos of black bean soup, I buy Goya and doctor it up a little w/ chili spices and salsa.
#9 Old 10-27-2009, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

baked sweet potato! with some mango chutney or anything dippy. and with wedges of grilled/baked/fried tofu.

ps: miso soup packets are the best!
#10 Old 10-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post

Not sure what part of the world you are in, but nut bans are very common in North America. I am a teacher and don't think I have ever worked in a school building that did not ban nuts, and not just among the kids. You can't bring any into the facility..

In my 25 years of working various jobs (in North America) , I have never encountered a nut free building. Rooms, or certain offices, yes.

Even with schools (and I've worked in 7 different districts) it's only been in specific classrooms, not school-wide.

And never in the staff lunchroom. Must be more common in different parts of the country.
#11 Old 10-28-2009, 04:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Not sure what part of the world you are in, but nut bans are very common in North America. I am a teacher and don't think I have ever worked in a school building that did not ban nuts, and not just among the kids. You can't bring any into the facility. There are also nut-free bakeries, restaurants etc. It is not about how many feet away, it's about if you leave trace particles around that they can come into contact with. It's not 'bizarre' it's as I said very common here.

USA, and I work in a public school, too. We have no such restrictions.
#12 Old 10-28-2009, 04:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

USA, and I work in a public school, too. We have no such restrictions. The people who had this enforced in your school district must be completely paranoid.

The hysteria surrounding nut allergies is just nuts.

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/extra.../dec10_1/a2880
#13 Old 11-29-2009, 05:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry for the hit-and-run post. I just wanted to pop back and thank everyone for their responses.

Unfortunately, I've been (a) too busy to implement any suggestions and (b) suffering/recovering from a "flu-like illness, probably H1N1" (doctor's wording) that has left me with no appetite until the last couple days. That's one way to lose a little weight, I guess. ;-)

And a quick clarification. Yes, I was working in one environment that was *strictly* nut-free due to a number of people with anaphylactic allergic responses and the risk of accidental exposure. In another environment, only one person is allergic. While simply eating nuts in her presence may not provoke an allergic response, I just feel it's a considerate thing to do and not a huge sacrifice.

Anyway, I will go back over your suggestions and come up with a plan for the upcoming week. Thanks again.
#14 Old 11-29-2009, 05:55 AM
Baby Love

Most of the school's around here are nut-free, including my son's daycare. I didn't realize it was a regional thing. I've just never encountered the ban anywhere other than schools. As a person with food allergies, I know it is very possible for people with extreme allergies to have a reaction simply by breathing in food allergens or touching a contaminated surface. Scary stuff!

I do have a laptop lunchbox. It's pretty easy to pack, I just make sure to keep it upright so I don't spill the food juices all over the place. Generally, I use one container for some sort of bean, one for a veggie, one for a starch, and the other for fruit, cookies, or some other extra. Sometimes, I'll take out a couple containers to fit in a sandwich or bean burger.
#15 Old 11-29-2009, 06:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post

Chick peas (rinsed well)

Olive Oil

Red Pepper

Salt

Great recipe. People who have difficulty digesting pepper can leave it out, it can also be roasted for great flavor and increased digestibility.

Instead of salt, I use light miso... provides digestive enzymes.

Bon appétit!
#16 Old 11-29-2009, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Are soy nuts also banned? (Just roasted soybeans, with or without salt added.) If not, they could be used as a nut substitute.
#17 Old 11-29-2009, 07:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Soy nuts would be fine, thanks. It's just peanuts and tree nuts that are a problem.
#18 Old 11-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

#19 Old 06-22-2010, 09:37 AM

Easy to pack and very affordable. www.easylunchboxes.com One of my kids has celiac disease. These containers come with different color lids so I can tell their lunches apart. The cooler bags have a ton of room for extra sides. I used to have Laptop Lunchboxes but the pieces got lost and it was a pain to wash every night.
#20 Old 06-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I always have a nut-free midday meal(s).

About 700-1,000 calories of fresh fruit or so. Maybe a green smoothie or a green salad with tomatoes.
#21 Old 06-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

What about breakfast for lunch? Just make a bunch of waffles/ pancakes/french toast/veggie bacon/whatever on the weekend, then freeze them and bring them throughout the week with maple syrup/jam and lots of fresh fruit. I also love bringing leftovers from dinner the night before. Easy and delish!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page